3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: i want to know!  (Read 170 times)

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
i want to know!
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
i want to know more about whitetail tactics and behavior. reading is not an option, it puts me to sleep rather quickly. is there any videos that can help? i also understandthat not everything in about w.t. behavior is concrete, weather, the area you hunt, pressure and such, i just want to know more. i also understand that everyones experience will be different, hunting shows dont show all what i want to know. how to prepare for the hunt exc.how to hunt for a particular deer,how to find the bedding area. how the rut works. how to hunt the rut successfully. post rut tactics thanks for your help ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: i want to know!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Spend as much time as you can in the whitetail woods. Watching deer and how they react and interact with danger, other animals, and each other is an educational experience. Try stalking deer in the off season; you will get an idea of their uncanny ability to see, hear, and smell you. The more time you are in the oudoors, the more educated you will become.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
The more time you are in the oudoors, the more educated you will become.

I think that says it all right there!  Good luck to you sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
There aren't any shortcuts. Sure some people get lucky once in a while, but to be consistent, you are going to have to walk some miles.  After the season is over, take your squirrel gun and hit the woods.

You'll need to identify food sources, bedding areas, and travel corridors. All of these can change throughout the season, so identify all of the variables. If your area has a good deer population, these will be fairly easy to find.

Once you have your areas, you'll need more than one, you can then plan your ambush locations based on the wind on any particular day.

Good luck.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Also deer act dramatically different in different areas of the country. You can get tons of great books on the life of a deer throughout the different seasons..how their feeding patterns change and all that. Once learning as much basic biology as possible, do what these guys say and watch and learn for your particular area.
In my early season here, my preferred stands are in a totally different location than my November stands. In three weeks, their patterns totally change every year.
Spend as much time as possible in the woods, keep moving till you see deer or signs of.
David M. Conroy

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
As the others said, there is no substitute for spending time in the woods.  However, you will increase the value of that time ten fold if you know what to look for when you are there.  Sorry to inform you, but I haven’t found or seen a video that comes close to relaying information that some “good” books will.  The three books that I learned the most from, and re-read most every year, are Come November by Gene Wensel, Treestand  Strategies by Barry and Gene Wensel , and Rodger Rothhaar’s In Pursuit of Trophy Whitetails.  Treestand Strategies is the most concise and least expensive source I have found for where, when, and why to put your tree-stand in a tree and how read the terrain and hunt any hunting area.  You can usually pick up a copy by running a goggle search for less then ten dollars.  
If you are after quality, deer hunting information you can’t beat these books.  Buy some five-hour energy drinks and force yourself to read/study the information these books have, it will make your time more productive.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
trial ans error is best my father keeps asking me the same thing and that the best advise i can give it changes dayly what worked yesterday didnt today so go out have fun i started trapping a while back and that realy helped me out to

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
I caught a show about the life cycle of whitetail deer on either the discovery channel or national geographic.  I don't remember which but I did record it.  It's about the biology of a whitetail so it is kind of boring but very informative.  I'll see if I can make a copy and if so you can pm me your address and I'll send you a copy.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Spend as much time as you can in the whitetail woods. Watching deer and how they react and interact with danger, other animals, and each other is an educational experience. Try stalking deer in the off season; you will get an idea of their uncanny ability to see, hear, and smell you. The more time you are in the outdoors, the more educated you will become.
The only thing I would add to this is familiarize yourself to some of the plants and forage deer eat,ant to travel patterns,trails,and learn how to read a topo map.Most of what you learn will be from experience.Unless you find an old salty trad guy to talk while you keep quite and just listen.   :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©