3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow question  (Read 222 times)

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow question
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Ok fellas, I just bought a used recurve off ****, 45 pounds at 28", and I draw 30-31".  I just bought it for the purpose of shooting this winter until my new long bow is ready in March.  I would like to get aluminum arrows for the recurve, and hopefully still be able to use them with the new bow, which will be 50 pounds at 28".  Can I get arrows spined for the long bow, and them still shoot decent in the recurve?  Also, what spine will I need, and where is the best place to order the arrows with feathers?  Also, the recurve is an AMF Wing bow, were they any good, or did I spend 85.00 on a lunker?  

javascript:;

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
James, click on the search button above, right below the ads.  Put AMF Wing in the top blank.  Then highlight "powwow" and hit enter. That will give you a few threads on Wing bows.  The AMF wings were better than the Head wings but not as good as the originals.
Kustom King and 3Rivers archery are two sponsors here that sell Easton aluminum arrows. i've provided you with a link to determine what arrow you need.  You need to find out first is your draw length 30 or 31 inches, it can't be both. Your arrows will need to be cut about an inch longer.  It might be possible to use the same arrow for both bows, but you will have to play with the point weight. I hope this helps, and maybe some of the other guys and girls will jump in.
     click here for Easton spine chart

Good luck and have fun!   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
You really won't know till you have both bows. The answer is 'probably' and you can play with point weight and riser wall thickness to make adjustments.

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
I appreciate the help, my compound has a built in overdraw, and I can't go by those arrows, they measure 28", but I am almost positive that my draw length was 30" on my old compound.  I'll get it checked for sure.

From everything I've read, the AMF Wing bows were good bows, and the seller specified that this one didn't have any cracks, and no twist in the limbs, plus 7 days to return the bow for any reason.  I'm just ignorant as far as traditional bows are concerned, so I don't know for sure what string length is required, the bow is marked as 58", 45 #, so will I need a 58" string?

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
If the bow is marked 58 inch amo then get a 58 inch amo string.  If you have a string with it, measure the actual string length and contact one of the sponsors on here to spin you one up.  If it isn't fast flight compatible, be sure and get a dacron string.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
When changing from a Compound to a Traditional bow your draw length will probably be shorter. Make sure you check your draw with a Traditional bow. Enjoy the bow.

Joe

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
going about the business of learning trad bow by yerself will cost you both time and money.  if there is a local club or archery store, hooking up with a knowledgeable trad guy will mean good things for you.  too many newbs just go out and buy gear without any true basis or clue as to what they're doing, and that could easily be their undoing in this sport.

trad archery newbies
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
There really isn't anyone around me that I know of that shoots traditional bows, everyone in this area are compound fanatics.

I'll get it figured out in time.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
James, try a post looking in Pow Wow looking for Ky trad archers.  You can also post in the Ky trad bow hunters forum.

What is the lenght on that Wing?  You may want to make sure it will handle a 30-31" draw before you get or keep it.

Find Stu Miller's spine calculator.  You can study that to see how the two bows compare.  You need to know the center cut of the bows.  You can measure the Wing and get the info from who ever is making the LB for you.  Then you can input some stuff and see how they match up.  The Wing could be a little more on performance than the LB, but will likely be cut more to center or past.  That could make the 5# difference close.  Changes to the Wing center cut by building it out some along with point weight changes could get you the same shaft fairly easily.  I would stay on the long side with the arrows to start so you can cut down in the future.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©