3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Dakota Badlands are Real Good!  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Dakota Badlands are Real Good!
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
This has been one of the greatest epic hunts I have read about in a while. Congratulations to Smoke and Rafael. WOW!
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline PA-Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
Great stuff guys. Gona do it again?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
What a beautiful animal!  Dark chocolate antlers, and just an absolute brute of a body.  The neck on Bruce's buck measured 32" around.  Simply massive!  I don't think there is a more impressive looking deer than a muley buck in full rut.

The most difficult part of this trip for me was just figuring out where to sit.  Deer were everywhere, but it is big country, and narrowing down your choice to the exact spot where a good buck might pass within range is the tricky part.  

There was a good group of does that seemed to favor a particular hay field and had some very nice muley bucks hanging around.  I spent a few mornings tucked in on the ground hoping one might use the draw I was in to move up into the hills.

In the evenings I sat in treestands on top of a ridge between bedding and feeding grounds.  On one evening I had a whitetail spike directly under me but held off hoping for something bigger.  When you see as many good deer as we did it makes it pretty easy to pass up the small ones.  Just a couple minutes before quiting time I glanced to my right and a beautiful 10 point whitetail was already at 8 yards and closing. I was paying the most attention to the trails in front of me, and in the fading light I hadn't noticed him creeping in from my backside.

He passed at five yards, and I needed to turn around in a hurry if I wanted a shot.  I didn't get away with it, and he was quickly gone.  

He was a beautiful deer, with good width, mass, and height.  But that would prove to be my only really close encounter with a good buck during the trip.  

We only had five days to hunt, and like so many trips out west just about the time you really get it figured out it is time to head home.  Oh, what I wouldn't have given for a few more days!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by PA-Spot:
Great stuff guys. Gona do it again?
Without a doubt!  :readit:    ;)    :bigsmyl:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
Congrats everyone, sounds like a great trip and special memories!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

Congratulations gents.

This is without a doubt, one of the most well documented adventures, along with fantastic photos I have read here..

There should be an annual award for the best hunting story....

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
Thanks for taking us along with the story guys.  I love the pics with both deer laying together, and all of you are gathered around...........   :thumbsup:    :archer:
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
Excellent story and great pictures. Congrats to those who got their bucks and those who just enjoyed the hunt. Looks like a fine time was had by all.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
What an awesome hunt guys, thanks for sharing the stories and pictures!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
It's a great feeling to have those two on the ground.   Awesome bucks for sure.  

Shawn

Offline silvertip73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
That hunt looks awesome!  Congtrats!  Is this hunt available for people to buy.  What is the contact info?  Great job looks like fun.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
The hunt is available for booking.  I'd be happy to share contact information with anyone interested.  Just send me an email or PM.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
Stories well told and great buck on the ground. Congrats.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
awesome bucks!!!!!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  EXCELLENT !!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
You guys done good. Great story.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Great deer guys...what a great time  :)

Thank you for the story and pictures....

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »

Thanks Whip for your capping expertice. Taxidermist said you did a great job. Also thanks Rafael and BowhuntenFool for all the teamwork necessary. Joe Bzura helping me in the field and taking those pics with my camera of this Dark Horned Mulie. After you get back home and think of the collective experience we had you want to find a way to get back, especially with the late start I got in this game. Life can be so short sometimes. Joe B had great experiences on this trip but I'm sure his work schedule has kept him away from this post. Maybe later?

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Awesome stories guys. I hunted the badlands a few years back. It truely is an awesome place. We hunted about 15 miles south of Medora along East River Road, just north of "Handy Ranch." I plan to get back there in the next few years.

DId you guys have to draw rifle tags or archery tags?

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Looks like a great trip.Thanks for letting us tag along.  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©