3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon arrow questions  (Read 229 times)

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon arrow questions
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Recently gleaned a 58# Kodiak Magnum from a fellow trad-gang member and am looking to get some carbons for it.  I like my arrow to be 28.5" and wish to use 125 gr heads, my draw is 27-27.5.  I am looking for an arrow in the 9-10 gr/lb draw and trying to avoid adding weight tubes, just want shaft and will use heavy inserts if needed to get desired FOC (10-15%).  If you have suggestions on shafts or where I should look for more info, please help.

Thanks and best of luck to all,
Hope your time in the woods is successful, harvest or not and that the time does not fly by too fast!  

TomBow
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon arrow questions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
i would probably order one of the test kits from 3Rivers.  They offer several different brands of carbons.  Plugging your info into Stu Miller's calculator & using a dacron string, i came up with...CE Heritage 150 cut to 28.5 inches with a 100 grain insert and using a 125 grain broadhead gives you 530 grains total weight, 11.3gpp, and a 19.5%F.O.C. or a GT 3555 with same parameters gives 490 grains total weight, 10.4gpp, and a 21.1%F.O.C.  These numbers aren't exact but will get you close.  Good luck with your testing!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Mr. Rasta,
Thanks for the info.  Which website contains Stu Miller's calculator?  I've been a frequent user of Steve Jackson's calculators but recently have been unable to locate his website.

Thanks and Best of Luck,
TomBow
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
you can also look at arrow dynamics.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
click here for download  

Download the calculator AND the instructions.     It is fun to play with, but remember, use the results as a guide to fine tune the results you get.  You can plug in any kind of carbon, aluminum, wood, etc.
Good luck to you sir!   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©