3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground Hunting , need help!  (Read 469 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground Hunting , need help!
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
I love ground hunting, it's rather difficult where I hunt because of the swirling wind (hills and hollars). I have a climbing stand but every time I'm in it I wish I was on the ground. Any of you ground pounders have any suggestions for beating the wind issue? It seems there is not a place on this farm I can get a steady wind. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks' Jason

Offline Jered Shofner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground Hunting , need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
You can't beat the wind, you can only adapt to it. I deal with the same problem hunting near a lake.

If you can look at the weather patterns you can make a good bet what direction the prevailing wind will be coming from. I'll set up my "hide" based on that.  The wind may swirl, but I've learned the worst thing I can do is move around based on a fickle wind, leaving a scent trail all around.

Usually just before sundown, the wind will settle just as the deer start to move.  

Getting winded is just part of getting close!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:01:00 AM »
Just keep hunting, and hunting, and one day it will come together for you. Part of it is doing the best you can with what nature throws your way.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
there are 360° in a circle so you have a good 300° that are scent free. I never have deer going like i think they will anyhow!
I do put out wind indicators near my stands so i can see the wind direction at all times. Helps me know when a deer my wind me.
Also if its swirling the deer have a hard time figuring just where you are an may still give you a shot.

GOOD LUCK!

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I hunt the ground too and really cant predict what the winds gonna do. My problem is setting up and not being seen. Blinds would be good however I have at least 5 spots I hunt on my property. I have been successful with wheels but not traditionaly....yet. The deer I've gotten have been in an area where I could basically ambush them. For example- as theyre coming down from a ridge and I'm in a hollow.... Phil

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Check the wind direction by hour on line each day then again when you get out of the truck.. Set up so the deer pass from behind you.. Let them PASS before you draw in slow motion.. The deer expect danger from in front and you will get this done. Practice drawing slowly and straight back to anchor.  If this was easy none of us would be having so much fun..
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Play the wind according to where you think the deer will come from.  It has worked for me very well even with swirly wind.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Covey,
If you have hills and hollers you may be able to start selecting your stand sites on the ground thinking in terms of thermals. In the morning as air heats up it rises. In the evening, right before dark the air cools and sinks. Elk hunters play this reality all the time. In MS where I hunt it happens on calm evenings all the time and we have just minor hills. I try to hunt below the deer in the evenings and set myself where the prevailing wind AND the sinking air will be going in the same direction if possible.If you are in a sort of bowl this won't work because the air will just hang in the bowl and scare everything off.The scent has to have a place to go.In the morning you may want to try to hunt up the side of hills again letting the thermals help take your scent up and away with the prevailing wind.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
buy wind indicator in a bottle and use it constantly and SLOWLY MOVE AND HUNT to the best location based on the wind in the area you are hunting....I cary one always...

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I plan on setting several differant places and floating milk weed. I want to see just how the the fingers funnel the wind down into the bottoms. I've seen alot of deer on this farm but I mainly hunt the ridges. Some of the places that I would like to hunt I can't get a good steady wind and been busted a few times. The old does and the big bucks won't stand to much of that. I appreciate all the help, gonna try a few things and see what happens! Thanks' again fella's, Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©