3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wool??  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wool??
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Just got Cabelas Outfitter Wool coat with wind/rain breathable liner. well made and will definetly hold up for many years, and warm.
Woolrich stuff is always good, for the price it is probably the best out there. I have a ten year old, at least green plaid coat of theirs with a lining of thinsulate and it has been used hard over the years, it looks like new, and it is very warm mid weight coat, I got the Cabelas for when it gets colder.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
All that has been mentioned are very good. I think I owned just about all over the years but the darn things keep getting smaller.

Hard to beat the quality and price of Teresa Asbel's line. Got a new set on order. Had the last set since 1991 and again over the last 9 years outgrew them. Past all my wool though on down to the son.

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
one word ! goodwill, you can find all kinds of wool there.
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Woolwrich, Codet, LL Bean when the price is right and any heavy sweater you can find at good will or garage sales!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I gotta agree with leatherneck.  I'm a wool fanatic.  Spend the money and buy some of the good stuff.  I'm a big fan of both grey wolf and sleeping indian.  Never Tried KOM, but have heard alot of good things about it.  By far the most usefull pieces of wool I own, are the smartwool long underwear.  I wear it nearly everyday from October through March for both hunting and for work.  Get both weights.  Layer accordingly, and you will be warm.  I have a pair of excellent bibs from Grey wolf, but to be honest, since getting the smartwool long underwear, I have not even put them on in the last 2 seasons.  This stuff solves the wind blocking problems that others have experienced with wool.  
     Also, never put cotton on underneath wool.  The two fibers fight each other, and you will be cold.  Wear quality wool long underwear underneath and you will be glad you did.

Offline iawoody2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
For the money it's hard to beat Columbia Gallint series. Go to Cabela's home page and type in Columbia wool in the search field. Thanks, Bob
Bowhunter since 1959

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
I just bought a pair of Columbia wool pants at gander mountain $74.95 I like them they just need hemmed they have a 34" inseam
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Check army surplus stuff.  I have used surplus pants for years with no problems.  I do have trouble finding decent sweaters though.  Lighweight wool pants $10, heavyweight wool pants $25-30.  Can be tough to get long inseam pants however.

Offline Ron Haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
I have used numerous less expensive wool garments in the past.  Then a hunting buddy of mine told me to bite the bullet and spend the money.  I went with Sleeping Indian wool, he has KoM.  It does hurt buyng it, but will have it forever.  My buddy has been using his bibs and jacket for 15 yrs.  I have had my shirt/jac and bibs for 9 years.
Ron

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
I am using the same KOM shirt for 15 years elk hunting all around the Rockies,20 days a season in the early warm days or in the snow blizzard of the late season,it still looks like new.If you don't want to buy a new one look for a used one.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »

2009 late elk season.Bowhunters trust KOM.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Waiting on my pullover from Teresa Asbell to show up in mailbox this week.Best bang for the buck that I have found
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
I have had my KOM outfits for over 15 years now,and love it,if it ever wears out I will buy another no question about it. Save your pennies buy quality you won't regret it.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
The saying "Buy Cheap and you'll buy twice" applies to wool for sure. That doesn't mean you have to give up shopping for value. I have found great deals on Filson, Pendelton and other brands. My next purchase will be a LaClair Longhunter.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
You can get some very good deals right hear on TG if you looking for the good stuff. I've got some KOM and Gray Wolf Woolens for much less than new price and in VERY good condition.

doug77

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
G. FRED ASBEL!!!  the woolies he offers are killer!!!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Northern One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
X2 on Sleeping Indian and KOM, with a slight lean in favor of SID for it's camo pattern. Been using both the last two seasons and will not go back to synthetics. Careful though, wool is very addictive:)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
I have Gray Wolf, Woolrich, Asbell and Columbia. They all have their place with me but when it's cold and wet I grab the Grey Wolf first they are just a heavier material with a tight weave.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Northern One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:

2009 late elk season.Bowhunters trust KOM.
I like the looks of the Campaign hat being worn by the gentleman on the left. Next to a choice of wool clothing, finding a decent, sturdy wool/felt hat is almost as difficult, if not more. I've pondered the Campaign hat but dont' know anyone who uses one. Would it not get in the way of the string? Very Canadian looking.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by longbowray:
one word ! goodwill, you can find all kinds of wool there.
Agreed. If you have a good thrift store. Some  areas the place gets picked over fast. Other areas the surrounding population has nothing of value to give due to economic conditions.

If you research wool types you will find wool produced in Oregon and Washington is considered the best available in America. Pendelton and Filson use these super quality wools.

If you see these products in the thrifts and they have not been sent through a dryer, buy them.
They are, when placed side by side other products, clearly superior.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©