3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Reasons for disallowing bowhunting during deer gun seasons?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
Reasons for disallowing bowhunting during deer gun seasons?
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
WI is one of the states that doesn't allow bow hunting during the nine day regular deer gun season, I know there are others.  If I want to deer hunt during that time I need to use a firearm, so I use my muzzle loader, but would use a trad bow if I could. In addition to this, I emailed the DNR a few years ago asking if it would be legal to small game hunt with archery equipment during that time. The small game regulations states that archery equipment is legal for hunting small game but doesn't specifically state that you can't use it during the regular 9 day gun season. The response from the DNR was in both cases archery equipment could not be used. Thay also stated that if it isn't specifally stated in the regulations that you CAN, assume that you CAN'T. I replied at that time and asked what the reasons were and did not get a response so I dropped it.

I was just curious if anyone out there knew or had opinions as to what the reason(s) might be? Could it just be an old law that never came off the books? Is there a safety issue I'm not considering?

Thoughts anyone?

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reasons for disallowing bowhunting during deer gun seasons?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
That stinks, here in tn I bow hunt from sept to january. I don't understand why it should be illegal for anyone who chooses to bow only.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
That doesn't make much sense to me either.

Here in PA you can as long as you wear the required amount of flourescent orange that the gun hunters do.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Yes - because bureaucrats write rules about things they don't understand.  There's no point looking for logic here - you won't find any.  Best you can do is work to get the rules changed.

Offline Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
I'd be happy to wear the blaze orange if that's all it took.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Funny, I was just contemplating this matter this evening. I live in Illinois where we cannot bowhunt during the two earlier firearm seasons.

Actually, I have thought long and hard about starting a petition to allow bowhunters to handicap themselves during the firearm season.

In fact, I spoke to Nathan Andersohn (attorney for the P&Y club) about this matter at the 2009 Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society banquet in Denver. He expressed a willingness to draw up an official-type petition. However, I never pursued the matter any further.

Any other Illinois bowhunters on here who would be willing to join me? If so, shoot me a PM.

Dusty

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
This needs to be on the Hunting Legislation/Polocy forum, not PowWow.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
That doesn't make much sense to me either.

Here in MT you can, as long as you wear the required amount of 400 Sq inches of blaze orange above the waist that the gun hunters do.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
I don't see why it needs to be moved.

He was just asking a question, not ranting about anything or asking how to change a law or rule.

Ken, I'm sure there is a reason for the way the rules are, it may just not be one we think is a good one. Get a hold of your local Conservation Officer and pose the question. It could be a safety thing. May have been easier at one time to re-write a small portion of the law code to exclude bowhunting for 9 days than write a lot to ensure that bow hunters wear orange for the same amount of time. I don't really know.

Could be an effort to limit the number of hunters in the field as well or cut down on gun hunter/bow hunter tiffs.

Like I said, there is always a reason even if it's not a good one.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
I have been using bow only during gun season here in GA for many years. I certainly think you guys ought to start petitions, contact your political representative, etc. to get it changed. There is absolutely no valid reason to disallow the bow during the regular season. Good luck.
Sam

Offline Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
My apologies, I never even thought about posting to the Hunting/Legislation forum. Before that reply I can't even say I've even been on that forum. I rarely post, mostly just read and occaisionally respond. If I would have realized I would posted it there.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
It is a good post. Here in Michigan we can hunt with a bow during gun season but we have to follow the gun rules and wear orange. Problem is the boys in orange run the deer off of the state land that I hunt. I do not do much hunting during the gun season. Also the black powder season starts 3 days after gun season and runs till Dec 19th. Then the special doe season starts on private land. During the special doe season the boys in orange push the deer back on state land, that is when I am back in the woods.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I called about that last week for Jersey and got the same reply.The lady said she didn't know either.I even asked if I bought the gun tags for those seasons could I hunt and they stated no!.I think it's about safety in Jersey,So many Jack holes fresh out of the LL Bean catalog ripping off rounds at anything that moves is enough for me to want to have a gun (for my safety)instead of a bow.You never know when you may have to shoot the dry cleaning tag off the yuppies camo jacket to get his attention.   :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
how does holding a gun in your hands make you ANY safer than holding bow?do you plan on returning fire?
Mike

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
You are a citizen.  I am sure your state has a formal process to change laws you don't like if it makes sense to do so.  It might be cumbersome and might not be effective but you always have that option.  In Indiana, citizens can petition our Natural Resources Commission for changes in game laws.  Do some research and see if a similar process exists in your state.  Good luck.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
In WI gun tags are statewide, unlimited, and sold over the counter. That's not the case in IL, where they are sold county by county on a limited draw system.

I already get 3-months-plus to bowhunt here in IL, and I wouldn't feel right about taking a gun tag away from someone else (who may only hunt with a gun) just so I can hunt two more weekends with my bow.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
Get in contact with some of your state Bowhunting and archery organizations. Most of them have something in their by-laws about Promoting/protecting bowhunting rights and privilages. Many got involved with the "crossgun" or "Sunday" hunting issues. One letter from one person may not get noticed but a few letters from different organizations with a few thousand members representing the 100,000 archery permits sold every year may really get their attention.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
I am guessing it is less about safety and mostly about the possibility you will fill your archery tag by first rifle shooting the animal.

Of course, since WI is in a "shoot em all mode" lately, that doesn't make much sense either.

ChuckC

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Missouri is kind of backwards too. You can bowhunt during gun, but you have to buy a gun tag. I've been hoping they would change it and let you use an unfilled bow tag. Yes and you have to wear the orange.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I'm guessing they pass silly laws only because they can. Give someone authority to pass laws then by golly... they're gonna pass some laws!....Phil

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©