3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Reasons for disallowing bowhunting during deer gun seasons?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reasons for disallowing bowhunting during deer gun seasons?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
You CAN hunt NJ with a bow during gun season, page 29 of the digest, and if you have a fall bow permit and are in a zone that allows it you can shoot does. No orange required, but I would advise it to at least have an orange knit hat that you can leave in your pocket until needed. And we can now hunt within the gunners safety zone, I think I might give it a try.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Owlgrowler ,
 I called the southern office and they said not during shotgun, only the fall bow or muzzle.And the orange would be a smart choice.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
I haven't read all five pages of this but here's NC's law and a link to the regs. You can refer to it if trying to get your laws changed.

During the muzzleloading firearm season, only muzzleloading
rifles, muzzleloading shotguns and permitted archery equipment
may be used. This applies to private lands and game lands.
● During the gun deer season, bow and arrows, pistols (as
defined under manner of taking) and muzzleloading
firearms are legal weapons.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/2010_11/2010-11_Hunting.pdf

One MUST wear hunter orange while bow hunting during gun season.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
If you have a gun license you can hunt with a bow during the 6 day firearms season for bucks only, statewide.(bag limit 2) In zones 8 and 10 where I have fall bow permits I can hunt every day in December, except Christmas. And, since I haven't punched my permit bow buck tag, I could legally shoot a third buck during the 6 day firearms season.
Read it for yourself, don't trust a state employee,(not always the sharpest tacks...)  :)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I will check the book again,And I am a state employee...LOL.   :D   Yup the fish and game people really don't have a clue about what they print in the game books and what they say.No hard feelings
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Actually you need both a gun and bow license to hunt the 6 day firearm season.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Sorry bro, some of em, like you, are smart as all get out!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
No worries, I did ask them if I bought the gun license could I and they said no.It figures I will check more into it.Thanks for the info.Maybe SJ zones are different.I hunt zones 34 and 42
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
I think safety is the number one reason for not bow hunting durning gun season. Here in Ohio there are many hunter and less land every year to hunt on. I think what is need is an designated area that is bow hunting only then all thoes who want to bow hunt may do so without getting shot. Not some gar hole peice of land with no deer on it either and a large track of land also.
Gary King

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
I personally can't see any reason why a person can't hunt with a lesser weapon. Having one weapon in your hand or another does not make one more safe than the other because you're all hunting a game animal not people.

Every state has license system so be it. Make the hunter buy what ever they have to buy, wear the hunters orange but let them use a lesser weapon if they choose.  

In my oppinion if you worked with your state bowhunting org you should be able to get this option in place.  Its just a matter of getting in the hands of the right goverment official.
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
If I wanted to hunt land without other hunters, whatever they are packing, I'd buy, borrow, or lease such lands. I definitely would not want or expect the state to set aside such lands for a few when the many paid/pay for those acres.  Alternatively, I wouldln't hunt in certain seasons if my fear outweighed my desire to hunt.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
Personally, I don't want to be in the woods during gun season with a bow or a gun! Those guys are nuts! I'm sure safety is the reason in Iowa. With the new rifled barrels and sabot slugs, the range with shotguns has been extended. I don't want to be there when those things are whistling threw the air. Just my opinion. If gun hunters hunted the way we do, it wouldn't be a problem, but they don't.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
For the record my earlier post on why I don't bow hunt in gun season was mostly in jest. I really believe the chances of taking an accidental bullet are about the same as being gored by a bull fox squirrel...about zero. For some reason, that logic just doesn't comfort me much when I hear a 3" 12 gauge detonate at a couple hundred yards. I wince and duck instinctively!

My main reasons for not wanting to hunt the gun seasons are aesthetic. I get zero joy from killing an animal as it tries to escape a barrage of gunfire. I cannot tolerate the background noise of multiple gunshots while I'm being a quiet and observant bowhunter. It doesn't fit me right.

I do think most of the arguments for excluding bows during gun season are bogus, except for one: guns can't hunt during bow season, so maybe it's (tit for tat) fair to keep bows out during gun season.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
You make a lot of sense Kevin.

Although I have to admit, when I was a teenager hunting squirrels and things were going slow, I used to daydream during slow times about "herds" of squirrels attacking me so I could kill a limit!

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
As an outsider this has been most interesting and obviously there are some well thought suggestions from experience, Bowilds thoughts on gun season for instance, seems this would resolve many issues for the long term, most interesting from this end is that the commission would even consider to placate the varying interests. I was recently writing a fellow trad ganger to gauge some on how the system works with bows then muzzle loaders, rutting and seasonal migration etc. Here rules are bought in and one must comply! Regardless of more sound methodology or reasoning. More often it would seem bureaucrats will have their way resulting in imperious often pompous manner in some further down the food chain within the system on the ground. That no duty is apparent in this disservice to the people and country is evident. Still one is reminded that even those who no longer perceptively serve at all are being paid by fees and taxes.
Ask for a copy of the regs. Have a hunting association guide u in their understanding of the rule. The reality of grey areas where any official or body is enforcing their opinion or preference rather than the regs of law as stated is incongruous especially when u have requested clarification in writing. Unless things have changed dramatically from experience, govt. departments in the US are obligated by law to respond to u the citizen in whose service they hold office. Be mindful tho Govt departments wheels can turn ever so slowly at times but have unlimited resources, yes, u’r fees and taxes, in the pursuit of those whom they perceive are non compliant. It may be a matter of perceived safety or some such. I think conventional wisdom would keep u away harm from those toting weapons that can spit a projectile further than 100yds or beyond their sight.

We all know the law is impartial and so too officials must maintain a unbiased in these matters and u’r name will not go on a to do list. GingivitasKan u should wear stripes on these occasions as they reduce the perception of a big but. Jeff if this number of accidents were happening they'd have to be a state committee inquiry,which until completed would place a caveat on the property. Eventually all those dam trees should come down to improve safety and if they were on u’r land u’d have to pay for them to come in remove them as u would not be qualified unless some costly course and fee for the activity were undertaken n paid. And no u could not burn the rubble or stumps that’s illegal on u’r own land too. Also u would not be able to sell any timber or utilize it in building unless it had been inspected and approved, for a fee of course. As for those rogue bull squirls the appropriate department would have to come and capture them and put in a microchip, they could be relocated to a better habitat at an appropriate fee to u.

Be careful what u wish for and never allow the constitution to be taken out of the education system as was the case here in the 70’s. Now people’s rights are what the govt an judicial dictate and there is none but personal costly and time consuming recourse, this with general complacency is untenable in the long run. One should learn to live with double negatives e.g. It’s raining, wet and muddy but at least its cold.
divecon

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
My question is....and hate to change the subject, but it kind of goes along w/ the orig converstation....

Do the states that DO NOT allow archery hunting during the firearms season allow small game, turkey, or waterfowl hunting during this same block of time????

That is a point of conversation I've had w/ friends and a few KDFWR employees in the past about hunter orange laws as waterfowl and small game hunters are not required to wear hunter orange, but can occupy the same land/water edge as rifle hunters and we seem to have no safety issues....
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by divecon10:
GingivitasKan u should wear stripes on these occasions as they reduce the perception of a big but.  
Lol - what's that about?  Either that's some Australian thing I'm just not getting or I'm being dense or something.  

Are you saying I have a big butt (too true - not sure stripes would help much) or that I am being a big butt (I've been called worse) or what?

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
My mistake M8. I was reading through the post and had a good laugh at Kevin Dill's comment, thought it was u'rs, shoulda seen the bold print. I had this image of the whimsical trendy an thought the fashion police would have a field day with this, as apparently stripes r more flattering to large posterior. Maybe something the makers of camo gear should come on line with for us. There's always someone out there tryin to reinvent the wheel.
divecon

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
If I could not hunt with my Black Widow during gun (simple stick) season I would not hunt. Then I'd have more time to enjoy the great walleye fishing at this time of year!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by divecon10:
My mistake M8. I was reading through the post and had a good laugh at Kevin Dill's comment, thought it was u'rs, shoulda seen the bold print. I had this image of the whimsical trendy an thought the fashion police would have a field day with this, as apparently stripes r more flattering to large posterior. Maybe something the makers of camo gear should come on line with for us. There's always someone out there tryin to reinvent the wheel.
No problems at all.

Back to the topic tho - I have to say I do like the way Ohio does this.  The shotgun guys have time in the field as do the muzzle-loader guys *and* you can always hunt with the "inferior" weapon (muzzle-loader guys can hunt during shotgun season and archery guys can hunt both).

It's all about being out there with pointy sticks.   :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©