3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill longbows  (Read 2921 times)

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill longbows
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
You can get any of the Hill models in string follow.  Makes a real sweet bow.  I have two Hills and a Northern Mist in the string follow design.  The NM has a bit more than the Hill.  Here are the NM Shelton (on the left) and my Hill Big Five string follow on the right.

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
LONGBOWBEN,

Mate, yer gittin' an Aussie-trained Hill Bow. The rest of us snow-country wankers are so jealous, we'll be hopin' you don't see it until at least three weeks before spring bear and turkey season.

Anything less simply wouldn't be fair. The danged thing's been trained in Australia. Bloody 'ell mate, no worries, it's a natural-born killer!

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
David,

What's that wood in the riser of your Northern Mist? Sweet lookin' bow.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »

We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Brad Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Hey Cody...looking good bro!   :wavey:
Mommy, where does bacon come from??
Well, a pig sweetheart.
Well how does a pig lay bacon??
Cassie 5

Daddy, what season is it?
Well, winter season honey.
No! What "hunting" season is it!!
Cassie 8

Kids, ya gotta love'um!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Cody, those are some nice looking Hills. How about some specs on 'em?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
The first bow I'm shooting is a Copy that John Lee made for me after one of the bows he made Howard. Its all boo with an Yew riser 45@28..

The other photo is a Howard Hill Red Man.. All boo with a maple riser ( not really sure) 55@28..

>>>>--------->

Cody

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I hope she is trained good.I would like to kill a doe before season ends with it.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Irish Archer, it's cocobolo. It's a very easy drawing bow and does not feel the weight it is.  I love the string follow bows.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Cody, it's not a Redman if it's all bamboo.  the Redman is all yew.  :saywhat:

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2010, 04:18:00 AM »
Thank's David, It was not my Hill bow( But John V) I was thinking redman because of the red glass....

Cody

Offline Sarge11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Could I ask what is meant by string follow bow and what is it's advantages?

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
She is here after a long trip from australia but i cant open her up until Christmas.  :bigsmyl:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
Sarge....   there is a thread on this board currently on string follow and another going on the Hill Longbowmen.    Here's what I put up there this morning...

"... it's really pretty simple. Refexing the limbs, i.e. forward rake, pre-loads the draw a bit... stiffens it some and increases speed to a degree, may also increase any shock present though usually not a big deal.     Deflexing, i.e. string follow or backward rake, softens and sweetens the draw a bit, may reduce any shock present, costs you a few fps but is also considered to make the bow more forgiving of minor form errors, a little less "goosey" or sensitive.  

Generally it's not a stupendous deal, more something that creeps up on you and you wake up and realize that "Gosh, that bow's faster than I'm used to," or, "Gosh, I seem to be a bit more consistent with this bow, and at the end of the day my arm and shoulder aren't as tired..."    

(Incidentally, going to a forward riser produces some of the same effects as string follow.  Both features move the limb tips further back from the hand.   They'll also both result in a higher brace height.)

Back in the day, as they say, these characteristics got pushed pretty hard.  Hill put out some very reflexed bows and I've been told some were pretty shocky.   'course, they ran to heavy weights, too.    The string follows were also a bit extreme, but were some very sweet bows, if a hair slow.   They were mostly for hunting so it didn't matter that much because we all know that good hunters get within 18 yards and would never take a longer shot than that, right?

Today's Hills can be ordered reflexed or string follow, but usually it's to a very small degree.   I get as much string follow just from the cooling difference on my aluminum forms, maybe 1/4".   However, if you want more extreme reflex or string follow, Craig will do it.  He has the forms.   My understanding is that the new Robin Hood will have very noticeable string follow.

The form I've been driving myself crazy with over the past couple of weeks has two surfaces... one is the old reflex, 1 1/2" and the other is the old string follow 1 1/4".    That's on the form...  what comes off ends up slightly less.    The first bow that comes off of it, maybe next week, will be the string follow and I'll be giving you a full report on that.   I pulled a wide limbed flatbow off of it (the first bow I made all by myself) a couple of years ago.   It's a very sweet shooter but thanks to my selection of oak for a laminate, very slow.  We'll see what happens when I lay one up all bamboo and in the narrower Hill shape.

Hope that helps you."
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Sarge11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Dick.. I appreciate the effort to explain to me, but I guess I'm a visual person and still not sure if I understand all I know about it. I have a Acadian now, but, plan on scratching the Hill style itch shortly, however I have no access to these style bows for comparison, and trying to figure out what I would like, can get confusing.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Sarge....  Here is a visual to go with the explanation:

These two bows are straight limb Hill styles.  One happens to have a Schulz style forward riser, but ignore that, just look at the limbs.

Below you have, on the left, a reflexed limb Hill and on the right a string follow limb Hill style.

Hopefully, these pix, referred back to the explanation, will help.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #156 on: December 25, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
Ok Ben, where's that new to you Hill?! We've waited long enough!   :D

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Ok  
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Good looking bow! Looks like you shoot it pretty good too. Congratulations and welcome to the fan club.   :thumbsup:    :clapper:

I'm making my transition to an all Howard Hill  lineup with the exception of my Maddog recurve.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©