3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Disguising my eyes from deer while on the ground?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Disguising my eyes from deer while on the ground?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
I don't remember where I got this information and this might sound strange, I sometimes color my eye lids. Think about it, when your eyes are open they are somewhat como'ed out, but if your caucasian when you blink your eye lids are much lighter in color than your eyes, especially if you have dark eyes like I do ( brown ). It's like turning a flash light on and off. Might be a bunch of bull, but that is what I do about it.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Chris.....folks like to make fun of my hat....but it sure works for me.

I just lower my chin and look through the 'leaves' as game approaches.

When you get big game close enough to see their eye lashes.....your doing something right.

This is what you need to do Chris.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Terry's suggestion is a good one. I do the same thing with the dangelies on my ghillie hat.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by OutbackMan:
This may sound odd, but usually when a deer is that close I close one eye and only look at it thru one eye...My theory is that there are not any one eyed predators out there...
I have a one eye predator.   :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I had a spike come up 15' behind me the other night.  His footsteps caused me to slowly turn 90 degrees.  Thought it was another coon.  I saw him first.  I had a spandex head net and could only see him out of my right eye.  He paused for a moment and then went about his business. Although I think my "b;pb" shape made him cautious.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
I like to cover my face for sure..If I am wearing a hat with a brim...I just tuck in my chin and look up at the top of the brim and your eyes are hidden...hats like a fedora work great..Alot of my trad friends just use their trad hat brim to cover their faces by tucking the chin.....if you have facial hair that helps  too. I can see how terry green's idea would work great too.

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
I grow a beard for the winter months,cover the bridge of my nose and cheeks with some kind of material that stops on my nose. I don't cover my mouth so as to not change the feel of my anchor, or be in my spitting path. As the others have posted I tuck my chin and use my hat brim to hide my eyes. When the animal is close I use the hat to bolck my site of thier eyes. If I can't see their eyes they can't see mine.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
My "leafy suit made into ghillie" has a great head cover, but the eye area is open. I agree w/ the poster it's the eyes. I even went to a contrasting half mask over top.

A fox came in, looked me over, but when his eyes met mine...he got bug eyed quickly!..then bugged.

At the major Harrisburg, PA Sport & Outdoor show, there "USED" to be a guy with camo glasses and clip ons. I've not seen him or them in years, but they made sense! I wish I'd sprung for them myself.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Squint the eyes for sure. I had 7 deer walk up to me while I was in the open in the center of a small creek with only a sandy bank behind me. The first 2 deer were big old does and I sure thought this was not going to work out. I had a face mask on (with the entire eye hole cut out) and my cap down and just squinted my eyes so that I could barely see them. The first doe came to 3 yards before freezing up and then she bolted back to 25 yards and stopped to take a second look. Arrow was on its way and had my first bow kill of the year!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
I like a boony hat and spandaflage head cover.Try not to look them in the eye. I concentrate on my target spot.

Offline canoeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Lot's of good suggestions.  Could it also be that your camo is reflecting U.V. light and that's what they first pick up on?

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Another good camo thought is that some of the lighter grass/brush patterns are light in color and when in low light conditions they get almost a white in color and you stand out like a ghost.Faded camo is the same.If I am hunting morning or night hunts I wear dark camo or dark clothing.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
I just googled "camoflauge glasses" and found these in Cabela's.  

It sure seems like if you could cover your eyes it would make a big difference.

Anybody tried these?  How about any of you deer - think these would hide us from you?

Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©