3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaska  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
Alaska
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »
I know some of you have hunted Alaska in the past and I know that some of you will hunt Alaska in the future, but most of you will only get to dream of hunting Alaska. Well I moved up to Alaska in 2008 and I'm living the dream. Even though I know I will never see every inch of Alaska I will try to see as much of this great state as I can and take all you dreamers along with me.
Here are some pictures from this falls Caribou trip up the Dalton Highway. I hope you enjoy.

Here's the pipe line north of Fairbanks.

The Yukon River looking east.

Still heading north

There has to be a Moose out there somewhere.

Thinking we need to get organized in Coldfoot Alaska. What we didn't know is we had another six hours of driving.

Just another picture

The wife and I

Here is looking south as we are climbing up to the summit of Atigun Pass

Well I will stop here for the night. More to come tomarrow night.

Cheers
Olin

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaska
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
I grew up in Fairbanks and travelled the Haul Rd. for caribou and sheep a few times.  Thanks for the memories.

Beautiful pictures, however all but the first one are too large and will likely be removed.

Read here about sizing pics.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=096228

Looking forward to "the rest of the story" !!!
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
Awsome pics.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline piggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:06:00 AM »
Fantastic pictures, please keep posting them.
Could someone please explain why the pipeline in the third picture zigzag's so much, is it an expansion issue due to the climate?

Cheers

Offline Gene'o

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »
Hi guys, I have had that dream for a long time now. Its a long way from my home in Australia but I will get there for a look around. Love the photos mate.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing.It is a dream of mine too,but...
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
:campfire:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Someday... I lived in Fairbanks as a pup, and have a brother born there, but haven't been back. Going on a sightseeing trip next summer,but will only get to fish on that one.  Maybe a hunt before I'm too old to walk in the muskeg. Thanks for the pics.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Its always great to live a dream. Thank you for sharing yours with us.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
that looks awesome. i have seen a few of those spots in person and they are beautiful. enjoy your hunt, good luck, and have fun.

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
My self and 3 friends did a do it yourself hunt on the Haul Road 3 years ago. It was awsome! We will return and do it again one of these days, maybe sooner now that I've seen your post Thanks for the reminder!!    sw
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Always wanted to go after watching Dick Proenekki in "Alone in the Wilderness"....Phil

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
I was planning a motorcycle trip on the haulroad but thats for another list. However, I did put an order in on a 3 pcs TD. My plan was to ride on the bike and hunt in the south. (Can you say cheap trip?) Say for hogs. Now I'm thinking a little bit differently. North...

Martin

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
On with the trip north

This one is about the same picture but it shows more of the mountains.

Well we finally reached the summit of Atigun pass. Its hard to see but, them there are Sheep. Not the North Dakota state animal kind, they are Dall Sheep   :)  . Mostly ewes and lambs.

Here is the north side of Atigun Pass. The brooks range is certainly a unique mountain range. Every thing you would imagine except the lack of vegetation, shrubbery and trees.

The further north you get the flatter it gets. Were starting to get into some major tundra here. That is by far the weirdest and hardest terrine you can hike in. The analogy of walking on a water bed full of bowling balls is about as close as it gets. Let me tell you that stuff is nasty.

Well after about 15 hours of driving we finally made our first camp just south of Happy Valley

With no Caribou in sight we decided to go to Deadhorse and get more fuel. What we didn't expect is how far it was. We drove and drove. On the way we came across a pile of Muskox. They have to be the most prehistoric looking animal I have ever seen.  

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Very cool......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Robert Cunfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
I wish I was there with you. This is truly a dream of mine....Good Luck and enjoy the ride...Bobby

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
This my dream also. thanks for taking us along.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
On our way north to Deadhorse we came across some Ptarmigan. This was Becca's (My wife) first longbow kill. It was about a 20 yard shot. Rosey picked one off also. Unfortunately this was the only killing that was done through out the week.

Finally made it to Deadhorse. This was a strange town to me. The whole town seemed to be temporary. It looked like at a drop of the hat they could pack up that town and disappear. We made two long trips to Deadhorse for fuel and grocery's. What we didn't know is they don't have grocery's. Every one eats at the cafeteria. We figured we could buy some bread and lunch meat. We figured wrong. The only thing you can buy besides a hot meal at the cafeteria is junk food. Pop, candy bars, chips and things like that. So we took a few pictures and headed south.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Never made that far north when I as up there. I stayed around anchorage. Made it down too Seward a few times to snag salmon. Did most of my hunting up metal creek or the ship creek dranage just off FT Richardson. Ahhhh what times. Thanks for shareing

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©