3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaska  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaska
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Ya this stuff makes me Jealous I now have to go to google earth and day dream for a bit...Keep it coming..

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
Becca wondering where all the caribou are.  :goldtooth:  

Well after a couple days of not seeing any caribou we decided to move camp. We went back south and made camp # 2. This is me showing everyone how strong I am.

[

I am having trouble with my Photo Bucket Account.

To be continued
Olin

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
Mr. piggy,
The pipe line zig-zags to slow the velocity of the oil on the downgrade, if I recall correctly.
Best Wishes

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
What beautiful country, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Great pics, keep them commong. Alaske is my dream place to hunt. Thanks!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Great tour. A lot different than I imagined!  I actually have an invitation to hunt the haul road (caribou bowhunt) with an employee (fellow bowhunter)of AK Game & Fish but stupid me, I haven't taken him up on the offer. I'd rather moose hunt but will probably procrastinate and do neither.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics and tales Big O!

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Awesome, Thanks for the memories. Lived in North Pole from 1981 to 1992. Made that trip many a time!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
I was up there a couple of years ago<  I loved seeing your pics... Thanks
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Let's see more pics.  I just made my 1st trip to AK this Oct.  It's an amazing place!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Awesome!  I've been wanting to transfer jobs up to Alaska, but my wife says if I transfer jobs, I go alone.  Well, I guess I'll miss her. Just kidding - but I'm still working on her.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Hopefully I have better luck tonight.

Here are is a picture from camp.

Yes we had fog. These two are from camp also.

This is an Alaskan sock dryer.

This is the Sag river ferry service. If you couldn't tell we didn't find many caribou. The ones we did find were across the river. Glad I took the advice of others and brought a raft. We chased a small herd around for a day or two but no blood. I did get one shot at a small bull but I MISSED   :banghead:  . I was laying on my belly caught out in the open with nothing to hide behind. When I rose up and shot he ducked like he was a B&C whitetail in the middle of gun season. My arrow flew helplessly over his back by 6 inches. We just weren't having much luck on our trip. On a another stalk I belly crawled in front of a herd of caribou feeding. There were several respectable bulls that I would gladly put a tag on. Wouldn't you know it I thought my luck was changing when the biggest bull was feeding right to me. When he got to 25 yards The thought went through my mind " now just turn broadside" low and behold he did. I was thinking about getting ready to brace my self to kneel up, and all of a sudden they spooked. The wind was blowing in my face and I was still laying on my belly and now they are gone. What happened was there was another guy after the same group and he didn't see me and I didn't see him. When the caribou turned away from him, he gave up and  started walking out in the open and spooked the caribou. If he would have given me another 20 seconds I feel I could have made a good shot. Oh well.  

This next photo is borrowed from a friend. On day while we were chasing caribou he took a walk up the mountain behind camp and found some sheep. He weeded through the ewes and lambs and got to within 15 yards of a band of rams. The biggest two were 7/8 curl. Not being legal he just sat by and took a few pictures.

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
As I was going through my pictures I noticed that I don't have any pictures of  Caribou. Kinda disappointed, I asked my wife why we didn't have any caribou pictures. She informed me it was because we are hunters and not photographers. If we see prey animals we are out hunting them not taking pictures of them. I guess I will accept that explanation   :readit:  . I have realized that I need to work on my photography skills a bit.
Well with several blown stalks and no dead caribou we decided to head for home a day early. I will just post several pictures of our way home. I hope you enjoyed my trip up the hall road.

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Umm, O.....why doesn't that bear have a hole in its side?

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
Lived in Wasilla for 7 years. I miss the State and everything about it terribly. What brought you up there?
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
That was great....Thanks

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Is that Spruce Tree alive??

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
Made it to SE Alaska for a wedding.  I will be back there on a bowhunt some day.  Those pics are outstanding.  Good stuff.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Keith,  No it is dead now.  A  while ago some idiots actually tried chopping the thing down(worthless pukes).  They didn't succeed but did manage to girdle the tree enough that it died.  Now the furthest tree that is living is on the other side of the road about 150 yards south of that one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©