3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what do you do to make target practicing more fun?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
what do you do to make target practicing more fun?
« on: November 22, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
ive been shooting my recurve for almosty a year now and am starting to get board just shooting at deer and block targets. what do you guys do to make shooting more fun?
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what do you do to make target practicing more fun?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Go stump shooting!   :D
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Yep!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
i would try that i just cant aford to breack arrows all the time
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
Go balloon hunting.  Get a bag of little balloons - the ones made to be used as water balloons - fill about a dozen of them and place them around the woods or your yard.  They are a good size target and fun to pop

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
I use the judo point and have yet to break an arrow stump shooting.  I try to avoid the rocks and new stumps.  There are still plenty of leaves or small trees or brush to make into targets.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Nerf football
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Sorry, I might be the only one, but I don't get bored practicing.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
I don't get bored either. But what I love to do is shoot with others whenever possible.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Quit shooting groups; shoot max two arrows at the same target. Stumping or some kind of 3D, either animals or free hanging parts (torso).

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
I was using a nerf football tonight with my sons. I live in a development. The yards are small. First I tried a soccer ball. The arrow came back at me. Then a tennis ball. Arrow went other places. Then a whiffle ball. Broke that. Then the Nerf Football. Blunt goes in and stops. Perfect. The way I see it; it is about the size of a rabbit. We are going rabbit hunting over the weekend so it makes perfect practice!

Martin

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
there are essentially two kinds of practice - form and accuracy.  form work can be boring, but it's the basis for accuracy.  accuracy just means shooting - hunting, roving, or targets.  unless hunting, the best fun and the most practical form of 'tuning up' for hunting is roving.  even the medieval yeomen roved on special courses designed to best simulate battle conditions (hunting in england was reserved for the noble and rich),

an excerpt from the 1942 printing of LE Stemler's "The Essentials of Archery" ...

Roving

Get yourself a good long bow and go roving. Tuck half a dozen tough birch shafts, fletched with long, low turkey feathers, under your belt or slip them in your quiver. Adjust your leather armguard and put the "tab" in place. If you have a dog, take him along, he'll get as much fun out of it as you will. Saunter down the lane or strike off across the fields. The first target that catches your eye is a corner fence post. Draw, hold a second and away whistles your arrow. You miss by an inch, but you secretly figure it was a darn close shot at that.

Next there is a burdock bush. "Now if there was a rabbit right at the base of it, I'll bet I'd get him." A quick draw, a snappy release and the arrow speeds clean and true-right through the imaginary bunny. "That's shooting," say you. You walk a bit more and catch up with a friend. "Let's see you hit that telegraph pole, bet you can't." You nock a shaft - a favorite one, for now you're shooting under the eyes of a skeptic and critic. You take careful aim, loose perfectly and-a real thrill - you hit the pole dead center. "Gosh, you hit it!" "I'd like to shoot too, must be lots of fun." You affect indifference, as if socking a pole at that distance - all of forty yards-is nothing at all, and begin telling him something about bows and arrows.

After four or five of your friends are equipped, you can have real fun. You plan a roving course through the woods and over a hill. You lay out targets of various kinds. A corrugated box full of sod, a small flour sack full of leaves and dirt, a whitened stake, a wooden figure cut to resemble a bird, a toy balloon. Each one is placed from twenty to fifty yards apart, down the road, through the woods and up the hillside. You start at number one and shoot from mark to mark. He who gets around with the least number of shots, wins.

Years ago, in England, the home of the yeoman and long bow archery, elaborate roving courses were laid out. One of the famous ones, built about 1594, was near London and was called Finsbury Fields. The names of the butts or targets breathe romance and adventure. From The Castle to Gardstone was 185 yards: from Turkswale to Lambeth was 75 yards; from Bloody House Ridge to Arndol was 154 ,lards. From the Scarlet Lion to Jehu was 82 yards. The course had hundreds of marks and could be shot over from many directions. After an exhilarating round of the course, the merry party could drop off at the Egg Pye or Whitehall for a tankard of ale and a cut of cold beef.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
I just went today for the first time in fact aerial shooting.  I found an area, tucked away, that is fairly wide open.  I had my son throwing a basketball, soccer ball, frisbee and an older ball we don't use anymore into the air.  I made up some flu flu's for an upcoming pheasant hunt.  Now that was fun practice.  It was fun to watch the arrows fly and I even hit the targets a few times.  Woo hoo!  Look out pheasants!  I think...

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Get together with some friends and have fun again , all the BS and a little compatition change the day!!  :smileystooges:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Here`s a couple for you.

If you have an old aluminum arrow, cut it off a bit, and get some bright colored paintballs. They are fairly inexpensive, and last a long time.

Stick the cut off arrow in the ground about four feet in front of a good backstop, and place the paintball on the cut off arrow. You will be amazed at how quickly you start hitting the ball.
Aim small, miss small kinda thing. It won`t take long and you will begin impress YOURSELF!

You will also want some paper towels to wipe off your arrows, and a tubing cutter to recut the aluminum shaft, because you will damage it from time to time. A few extra bent shafts, pre cut are a good idea.

I do this with my kids during the summer...alot!
It is big fun, and as I said, you will impress yourself if you can get into the groove and up your concentration enough. You will get to know a hit way before the arrow gets there. You`ll start to FEEL it. Someone to shoot with makes it even more fun.

It can get messy, but messy things are usually fun.

I have tried other ways to hold the paintball, but a cut off aluminum shaft is the most available, and will not damage even wood arrows if they hit it.

A Nerf football suspended by a string in front of your backstop is fun too. Walk down and get it swinging, run back and try to shoot it. Hang it out far enough that the missed arrows stuck in the backstop will not interfere with the swinging football, so you can shoot again. A big treble fish hook works to hang the football. A rope threaded through the football will cause too much destruction to the football when the arrow hits. The hook tears out with little damage, and the football will last better. Just re-hook it after a hit. Be careful not to hook yourself when you get your arrows. Blunts are harder on Nerf balls than field points if you shoot high draw weight. Discarded stuffed animals work good for this too.  :D

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
What everyone has said above.......as far as breaking arrows,you can't put a price on a good time. If your not breaking arrows or looking for them,your not shooting enough!   :wavey:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Anytime I go hunting with my son or friends we find time to head out for a little friendly competition. Pick something out to shoot but not under 15 yards so as not to break shafts. The winner picks the next target and so on. If someone wants to shoot at a rock just miss it, shoot high so as to skip the arrow. If not hunting take a companion to a WMA area and just walk. You will find something to fling an  arrow at.
Never wait too long!

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
where do you live in ohio?i could really use a shooting partner.i have a block and a deer target.they do get boring by youself.get a friend and just make up games.i get a quiver of arrows and walk around to different spots and shoot.this helps me with my different yardages.i also use grocery bags.put a stick through the handles and place them everywhere.the wind will puff them up and make them move.they are fun to shoot at and will not tear up your arrows.hope this helps,steve

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Do a search for making a bomb proof arrow.  I've been stumping with the same arrow going on 3 years now.  Rocks, solid stumps whatever, this arrow takes them all on and has not been beaten yet.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by BOWMARKS:
Get together with some friends and have fun again , all the BS and a little compatition change the day!!   :smileystooges:  
I will second that notion.

I try to get out and stump shoot with a few of the fellas a least 1-2 times a month if not more.

After deer season we just go Rabbit / Stumpin.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©