3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what do you do to make target practicing more fun?  (Read 1392 times)

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what do you do to make target practicing more fun?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I had some large boxes, flattened'em out and  outlined a near-lifesized deer on it. Doing a turkey now.... Phil

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Stumpin pays!! No need to shoot solid hard targets/stumps. Pick a leaf on a full bush, pinecone, dirt clod, beer can, etc. Take a fluflu for slow flying birds. Make your own judos & you;re ready to go. Always different & fun going on 30+ years since I've seen a range.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Man, there are a million solutions to your problem.   One of my favorites is to go to a high school football practice field.   Throw 8-10 golf balls into the field and walk around and shoot at them from different angles and at different distances.  

Another thing you might try is to bore holes through 6-10 tennis balls, hang them from a string from a limb or on the ground and them shoot them from different angles and ranges.  

I was a helluva shot when I used this as my primary practice.  You are so right.   Stationary targets are great for form, but form don't always count on a live target.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Shoot at pictures of the mother in law. Makes me smile every time.
David M. Conroy

Offline L51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
I'm lucky enough to live next door to my hunting buddy. We will play a variation of HORSE, you have to repeat the other guys shot (standing, sitting, leaning around tree, etc.). We will also take turns pinning a dollar bill to the block, first on to stick an arrow in it keeps it.

I just built a backstop in my basement, can get a 20 yard shot so we can practice in comfort during the winter. I liked the stuffed animal idea! Got lots of those in the basement waiting to take an arrow.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
My wife and I have a couple of really good friends that we stump shoot with. We go to the woods and pitch out a nerf football. Best hit gets to make the next toss. In a grassy field or forest with deep duff this can get really challenging.

We use blunts with no wings or claws so the ball doesn't get torn up too fast. It's a good time for a $3 nerf ball.

You can do it by yourself too, just not quite as much fun.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
take a plastic water bottleand stuff it with as many plastic shopping bags asyou possibly can...It will simply amase you as to how many will fit in there...and throw it out and shoot away.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
I use a dogs stuffed toy about the size of a tennis ball and hang if from whatever. They are made for dogs chewing so they hold up real well. mine has taken quite a few hits and is still mostly intack. Cost, about $2.00.
Don't use apples hanging from your apple tree no matter how hard they temp you. Feathers will never be the same. I have a yellow sand bag with a red dot in the center of it set up at 90 yards. My friends and I always take a few shots at it.
Use multiple target set ups. Dont have to be fancy or cost anything. Even one target with different shot angles. Its fun just to use your imagination. As far as bored practicing, can't help you there. No experience.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
I love to throw out some apples or oranges even a head of lettuce and just walk around to different spots and shoot.  I use judo points or ace bunny heads.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
variety is the ticket.  Stumping, 3Ds, balloons, moving targets. small game. just keep changing it up.
                 or

buy new bows... that always makes it interesting.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Hit the target every once in a while.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
I really enjoy shooting big round bales in our pasture beside the house. When we cut it for hay (now that the cows are sold) I like to leave a few sitting out there and I use it as my own mini 3D course without the foam animals. When the hay is still fairly green the big bales stop my woodies real good, but after they dry out awhile they don't stop them so well.
It's a huge target and hard to miss. This is where I take longer shots without fear of losing an arrow, and I shoot from one bale to the next at unknown yardages. It's great mental practice for judging yardages.

I aim for the center mass with the first arrow, then chase the fletching on that arrow with all the rest and go for a good group.
It really helps break up the hum drum of standing in one spot pounding foam all the time. It's great practice for judging yardage as well as being able to shoot out in the open which is sometimes hard for me to do when there isn't anything around to use as a comparison for yardage estimation.

Maybe you can find a farmer who still has big round bales out in his field who would let you shoot sometime?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 02:08:00 AM »
Purpose and variety are key for me.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 02:38:00 AM »
I go chase ground squirrels. I have a lemon tree lemons are great targets put them out in the yard ,hang them from the tree and when you hit them they clean your arrow, kinda.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Had my boys help me make this new pvc frame and bag target.  That made practice more fun!

God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Consider making your targets legal and live.

Get some youngsters involved with your practice.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©