3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ?????left right or strait helical?????? HELP  (Read 847 times)

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
?????left right or strait helical?????? HELP
« on: November 22, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
im right hannded and getting ready to start fleching my arrows and am about ready to buy a jo jan and i have no clue which helical to get?!?!?! will someone exsplain to me which o get and whats the best?
Thanks,
steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ?????left right or strait helical?????? HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
When I started I was told left wing for right handed shooters, right wing for left. Not true, pick the feather you want to shoot or have the most access to and fletch that. Straight fletch you can offset and fletch either left or right wing, just don't mix them. Good luck.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
if i get say a right helical then i need right wing feathers correct? but if i get a strait i wount have much broadhead control? im not positive i just know what ive read

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Any one will work fine,I'm RH and I prefer LW helical but I shoot both LW and RW.Depends on what I get a good buy on at the time.Just make sure you use LW feathyers with a LW clamp and vice or versa.You can fletch both LW and RW feathers with a straight clamp,but I like a helical fletch.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Shoot whatever is cheapest, or if you already have a fletching jig then just buy ferathers to match your jig.  Several people shoot straight fletch so I can't see it affecting your broadhead control unless your arrows aren't properly tuned.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
well the main reason i was thinking of a strait flech is me and my dad also have wheel bows and we use strait flech on those. i wasnt sure if a strait flech woul have enough control on a woodsman 125g broad head. do u guys think i could still get good accuracy with a strait flech?

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
If your arrows are tuned properly your fletching won't make a big difference.  As the theory goes, if your arrows are properly tuned to your bow then you don't even need fletching.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Spend as much time as needed tuning your bow and arrows then the fletching won't matter as much. If your worried after that, use the longest, highest profile feather you can find until you feel more confident.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
I'm one of those few that have issues with right helical shooting right handed. My shelf is so low in the hand that the leading tip if the quill will bite my index finger. I'm sure if I changed my choice of shelf rugs I could get rid of it but I'm old school and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I don't know enough about helical vs offset to give you solid advise, but I can tell you this. You need just enough fletching and rotation to balance the biggest broadhead you plan to shoot. Then add a cushion to cover marginal release errors or wet feathers.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Use the helic either right or left.  Straight fletch can cause problems with broadhead flight control, particularly in a cross wind.  You can offset the straight fletch which imparts some spin to the arrow and is far better than straight fletched with no offset. As a fingers shooter more spin on the arrow means better control and a more forgiving arrow on a bad release.

I shoot left helic and I am right handed.  I get a bit beter shelf clearance using the left helic which I like.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bendbig

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Also you will need to consider what type of broadhead you might be shooting. A single edge will need a specific twist from the fletching.
Glenn
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, Gen 27:3

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
ill be shooting a woodsman 1258 grain screw in. and am i able to put a little helical on the feathers with a strait jo jan?

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Get the striaght.  Feathers have a slick side and a rough side, if you don't mix left and right wings, the arrow will spin.  With the striaght, you can use lefts or rights in the same jig.  Bill

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
I've been shooting helical fletch for over four decades. I think it helps in a crosswind over straight fletch. Just a guess on my part.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©