3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ??? Does the bow I'm looking for even EXIST ???  (Read 1078 times)

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ??? Does the bow I'm looking for even EXIST ???
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Nobody makes a bow that will get 165 fps with a 26" draw and 12 gpp. Even if you shot a release.

The fastest bow I ever shot through a chrono was a Turkey creek that was 50@30". I draw 30" and with my 13.5 gpp hunting set up I got 165 fps.  I got 201 with just shy of 9 gpp. Both of these numbers was a six shot average. My bow had a 10 stand d-97 string with hushpuppies.   I shot a calf hair tab.

Any of the known fast bows will be within a few fps of each other but I will all but guarantee that no trad bow will shoot 12 gpp @ 26" 165 fps, shooting fingers.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
Zradix,
That's my total arrow weight with broadhead. I'm using a 75 grain brass insert but that too is part of the 424.  I'm not suggesting by the way that my arrow is perfect, I will probably try to get it to 500 grains by next season and that would still be light to some fine folks here. (My arrow might be closer to 450 but for some reason 424 sticks in my head).  By the way, I love the Beman MFX Classic, I've used a lot of different arrows over my 45 years of bowhunting and I've never used a better one. Very durable, narrow to preserve my centershot, and I like the traditional look.

The first pass through this year was a double lung. The arrow was just laying on top of the leaves past the deer. The 2nd pass through, again double lung, found the arrow stuck in the ground which surprised me. Now, it wasn't so ground-stuck that I had to use both hands to retrieve it but enough to tell  me my set-up is plenty sufficient and I shoot it well.

I don't own a chrony so I can't say how fast (or slow) my bow is, sorry.  I have been intrigued with owning a chrony, just to know and compare a bit.  Shoot, after all this  years I just bought my first digital bow scale and digital grain scale this year.  Both these little tools have been very enlightening.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Bowwild,

Thank you for the info.
Like your signature by the way.
We're most likely in the same total energy ball park. I'm shooting a 540grn at 45# at 26" getting 132 fps out of a little martin rebel.

With a 475 tot wt arrow I get 146fps

Easy energy comparo...
540grn x 132ft/s = 70,200grnFt/sec
475grn x 146ft/s = 69,350grnFt/sec

you're a little lighter so prob a little faster
maybe...
424grn x 152?ft/sec = 64,448grnFt/sec

Obviously your set up is working well.
Mine should too!

Would be nice to pack some more heat though...lol

Thank you for the real world info.
I appreciate it!
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
OPINION ONLY:I stick with either the EagleWing Talon onepiece tweaked to shoot at 25 inches or with WingNuts bow tweaked if he does that. I say this not because I build this bow but because it will fit the criterion you laid down  and still produce the energy to do what you said.

I also agree with Mike in that I would have to do some r and d to determine if it can be done. I think either of us could get real close with a variation of those bows. In the case you laid down a low brace is a must. I get that with an extreme foreward riser and a pre loaded limb design. So does Dryad although I believe my riser is a bit more foreward than theirs and that their limb is a bit more reflexed.

God Bless you and everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving. So many bows and so little time. Steve

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Zradix, accuracy is what trumps all in bowhunting. Lots of deer are killed every year successfully with set ups that are inferior to yours. A sharp broadhead in the right spot is going to get the job done-get out there and do it, and hide the calculator.   :archer2:

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
I'm kinda lost as to why "arrow speed" is such a big factor for you. I have the same T-Rex 26" draw and when shooting a 56" or 58" bow, at 47-49#'s find myself very happy with a slow & quiet arrow of 545 grains. Then again, that's just me and a lot of folks out there find me strange...  :rolleyes:

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Contact Dan Toelke at  www.montanabows.com  and ask him if his 52" 1 piece recurve or a 56" Chinook 1 pc. recurve would do what you want. I have owned a 60" Chinook and shot his 52" a bit and both bows are rocket launchers and love heavy arrows.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Like I said before,
Energy comes from mass and speed.
I've got the mass.
More speed = more energy = more penetration.( given all others are equal)

I can (and do) compensate for the trajectory.
That's not the problem, but a little flatter flight would be an added benefit.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
I'm kinda lost as to why "arrow speed" is such a big factor for you. I have the same T-Rex 26" draw and when shooting a 56" or 58" bow, at 47-49#'s find myself very happy with a slow & quiet arrow of 545 grains. Then again, that's just me and a lot of folks out there find me strange...   :rolleyes:  

... mike ...
I as far as the speed thing I explained that above...that's the only reason. No prob.

Have you taken any whitetails with your setup?
I haven't. Maybe after I get a couple under my belt with good results I'll stop worrying about it lol.

Thanks

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Speed and Mass dosen't mean a hill of beans if your not getting good arro flight.
Give me a bow I can consistantly get quality arro flight over 10-15fps faster bow that's touchy to shoot

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Zradix, accuracy is what trumps all in bowhunting. Lots of deer are killed every year successfully with set ups that are inferior to yours. A sharp broadhead in the right spot is going to get the job done-get out there and do it, and hide the calculator.    :thumbsup:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
overbow...I agree with ya 100%

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
I don't think it exits...but there are a few bows out there that will come close. haven't shot any of wingnuts or sixby's bows, but I'd take both of them at their word, others to look at would be a centaur, either a carbon elite or one of his original double carbons, turkey creek double carbon, although I'm not sure any were made in the length you are looking for, acs 56" one pcs, and I'd throw morrison's dakota in their also...the dakota might be a touch slower, but all I've had were excellent shooters.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
I don't think it exits...but there are a few bows out there that will come close. haven't shot any of wingnuts or sixby's bows, but I'd take both of them at their word, others to look at would be a centaur, either a carbon elite or one of his original double carbons, turkey creek double carbon, although I'm not sure any were made in the length you are looking for, acs 56" one pcs, and I'd throw morrison's dakota in their also...the dakota might be a touch slower, but all I've had were excellent shooters.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
whoa...fast fingers

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
lol

Offline PA-Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Back again shoot the Bruin crono 143 at 27" with 560gr arrow. Not what you are looking for. Good luck with this one.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks PA-spot.
The information is helpful
   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©