3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long Hiatus...Time to Catch Up  (Read 944 times)

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Long Hiatus...Time to Catch Up
« on: November 23, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »

Hey, I feel like a stranger to this place after being largely under water the past few months.  Divorce will do that to you, even when it's a good thing it doesn't mean it's an easy thing.  Trying to get out from under $96K of individual debt my ex admits to running up all by herself (credit/gambling/who knows what else) yets wants me to cover has been challenging but there are brighter days ahead.

Anyway, thought I'd update you on my hunting season this year with stick and string, especially now that I'm out of buck tags in my home state of NE.  

For the first time I shared many of my hunts (31 of my 74 hunts currently) with a hunting partner, a lady who shoots wheels but has traditional values and I wouldn't be surprised to see her try a stick in the near future.  It's been enjoyable to hunt with someone with the same ethics and respect for the land and animals.  Plus she's a natural and has taken a 152" 5x6 back in Sept. and three antlerless deer so far; most of which I got to see taken from ringside which was cool.  Was shaking like crazy from 60y away as I watched her arrow the big one through my binos.

For me, I had a close call with that big 5x6 a few days earlier but my daughters (ages 7/9) spooked it off after being quiet enough to let numerous does and three small bucks walk by that night.  Wasn't meant to be and I can't afford the taxidermy right now anyway!  Ha.  I've had the girls out with me about 10x as well.  

I've been fortunate enough to still take two decent bucks and two big does, one of each with my hunting partner sitting beside me.  All deer taken with a Pronghorn longbow and Wensel Woodsman heads.  The latter buck was taken with my backup PH, a 'Curly Ash' special I purchased through TradGang!  The others were taken with the 'Green Machine.'

This doe above taken Oct. 9 at 15 yds. and went 0.  Through the front shoulder area and severed the spine where it drops low there.

This doe was taken Nov. 2 at 15 yds. and went maybe 40 with a perfect, tight double lunger.

Took this buck Nov. 12 at 14 yds. and he went maybe 50-60 after a great double-lunger.  We were in a double-set stand just 10' up so it was really a cool, close encounter on a buck she had originally wanted to be one of hers but since she already had the big one in the bag, it was my turn and I was kind of feeling the need to let the air out of something.  

Then on Nov. 20 during our rifle season (you can bowhunt with a special permit this year...$75 or so), I took this buck after a tense, stand-off and snort-wheezing him into action.  The shot was 20y but I was a hair back and got liver.  A long, arduous 250y trailing job but patience won out.  

Still some more does hopefully to add to the freezer for myself or co-workers who don't hunt.  Again, sorry I haven't been contributing much to this forum (or any others), but it's been that kind of summer and fall.  Anxious now that the season's winding down to visit here more often and continue work on the second book.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long Hiatus...Time to Catch Up
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
Sorry to hear of your troubles Bryce.  Congrats on the deer and look forward to your second book.  Keep your head up better things will come.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
Good looking deer Bryce  :wavey:
Larry

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 03:13:00 AM »
Welcome home brother.

I am glad to read that things are looking up for you.

Congratulations on the new hunting partner and to both of your bowhunting successes.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
I always enjoy it when you share your hunts with us. Congrats on a good season, and I hope the homefront skies brighten a bit.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
Glad to see you back, I always enjoy your stories!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:16:00 AM »
One door closes, another opens...

Great job on the deer!  :thumbsup:

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
Congrats and welcome back! Glad things are looking up for you.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
Congrats on youre hunting results and the new hunting partner! Best moments shared with a good partner or youre girls is best moments doubled!
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
Nice deer... Good luck in the future take care    :campfire:

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
The sun will shine again someday soon. JFTR, hope my ex is as happy gone as I am she is.

Keep doing whatever. Nice looking GF. Hunting w/daughters is a lasting impression for them, you too. Best of luck
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Congrats on the Deer and there is nothing better than having a good hunting partner.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Glad to have you back. Life happens to all of us. Congrats on some great critters and pray better times are ahead for you and your family.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Glad to hear you are pulling thru these trying times and am really excited to hear the new book is coming along well also.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
I "always" enjoy your posts! Congrats and Happy Thanksgiving!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Only a teacher would use the word Hiatus......
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Nice going Bryce, and good luck in the future!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
Good to have you back Bryce!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©