3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gerber Blood Tracker  (Read 362 times)

Offline KillerDyller

• Trad Bowhunter
Gerber Blood Tracker
« on: November 23, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Anybody got one? What do you think? I've seen the old gerber carnivore in action and think it works great but they dont make it anymore. I'm red-green colorblind and the blue light really made the blood "jump" out at ya.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gerber Blood Tracker
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
My wife bought me one for Christmas last year. Not impressed. Eats through batteries like nobody's business.

However, if I were color blind I may appreciate it a little more.

Dusty

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
A spray bottle of peroxide works great. It foams up on any blood.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I get one not very impressed me too.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Remember that any shades of red will be enhanced to most eyes with this setup. I experimented with a blood tracking light and compared to other handheld flashlights from LED to "warm" LEDs by taking some of my blood and putting on an oak leaf.  I actually found the white LED from a blood tracking light( not the Gerber) made the blood show up best to my eyes.  You will have to try this yourself and find what works best for you.   Unfortunately, I have not had opportunity to try this blood trailing a deer this year.  :(

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
A spray bottle of peroxide works great. It foams up on any blood.

I also like this.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
I to have used Peroxide in a spray bottle.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Big Ed:
I to have used Peroxide in a spray bottle.
Same here

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
I know about peroxide and its reactive nature with blood. I've never tried it though on a tough blood trail.

I know sometimes it is tough to discern whether a drop is blood, leaf color, or other liquid. Usually, though I can pick it up and upon closer examination figure it out pretty quickly. The helpful thing would be for a way to better scan the ground (leaves usually for me) and find those blood specks.  Is it really that effective to simply spray peroxide along the course you believe the trail to be and hope to find blood you wouldn't have seen with your eyes?  I hope so but it sure seems a shot in the dark to me.
Thanks

I know some who have used coleman lanterns (old mantle type) to enhance blood trails in the dark. I have loaned my lanterns for this purpose but have never personally used them this way.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 05:29:00 AM »
After a lifetime of bowhunting a variety of animals, I can confidently say this: The brighter and whiter the light source, the "redder and better" the blood shows. Colored lights are very simply a gimmick and do not enhance our ability to discern red blood. Someone saw a potential market and the industry pounced. I've used gas lanterns, propane lanterns, halogen lights and LED lights to blood trail at night. The far-and-away winner is a very strong, very bright LED lightsource which uses a color-corrected LED. Such a light will have less bluishness and appears a bit "warmer" in its color. The average LED headlamp is good for a nice easy bloodtrail. The very strong (and increasingly pricey) handheld LED lights are superior when the trail gets tough. I invested in a Fenix TK40 over a year ago. It features a Cree Quad LED, and uses 8 AA batteries at once to emit over 750 lumens of light. I can clearly see a deer at 100 yards and a deer's eyes at 1/4 mile with this light. I gave over $150 for it, but I also rely on it for home defense. One blast to the eyes and you're blind for over a minute. Best light I've ever held in my hands.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
What Kevin said.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©