3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What #dage is a noticeable step up in weight?  (Read 638 times)

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
What #dage is a noticeable step up in weight?
« on: November 24, 2010, 03:20:00 AM »
What's the guideline for going up a step and not shortening practice too much?  Does it have to turn into "quality" practice at some point?

I'm thinking about going up 6# but I still get the shakes if I'm rusty on my current bow.  After I'm warmed up (3 weeks solid practice) it starts to feel too easy.

I'm also looking for an excuse to buy a new bow because I haven't outgrown the one I'm using.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What #dage is a noticeable step up in weight?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 03:54:00 AM »
I imagine this has much to do with your condition, age, and tolerance for imperfect form.

I'm a fanatic about form, shot execution and follow through. I've found up or down 3 pounds is dramatic for me. If I find my head remains less than vertical throughout the shot, I'm getting lazy or am over-bowed. I strive to pull the string to my anchor rather than move my anchor towards the approaching string.

All I'm after is a complete pass throught the rib cage of a whitetail deer under 30 yards. I'm getting that with 46 pounds and a 2-blade, single bevel broadhead and broadside shots.

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:22:00 AM »
3# is probably about right.  Another thing I'm trying to figure in is the +/- 2# most bowyers have.  I was thinking +5# would be the safest bet.

Offline PA-Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
I agree that 3# to me is a big enouff jump. As the years have gone by. I am also staying around the 46 to 50 range.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
Probably depends on the bow. I have personally felt a 2 pound increase was too much on a specific bow.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
For me a 3# jump is sure noticeable.  I can bump up as much as 5-6# but it does take some time to get used to the new weight.  Not nearly as easy of a transition.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
If you are reasonably strong, and practice much at all, a six pound jump shouldn`t be too much of a problem...should it?

I`m not saying you won`t feel the change, but any problems should be minor, and overcame quickly.

Personally, I don`t think I would be able to tell two pounds either way.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
Buy the new bow. You obviously NEED it.   :thumbsup:
David M. Conroy

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
As you indicate you'll have the leeway allowed the bowyer of + or - AND not all of them measure draw length the same way. I even specify how I want draw length measured (AMO standard -- 1.75" away from the pivot point of the grip -- usually right at the back of the bow shelf (away from the archer).

I like 46 pounds. I have four bows on order (one is just a set of TD limbs) but I've specified 52 pounds at 28" hoping to get 46 pounds at my 26" draw. I could end up from 44-48 pounds which will be fine.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
I switch back and forth between bows of 51-53# and 45-47#.  Once I have my form work down with the lighter #'s the majority of my practice is done with the heavier draw.  I really don't seem to notice the difference at that point other than I know I can sit at full draw if I want to for a longer "split second" than with the heavier #'s.

I like switching draw weight.  Helps muscle work for me.  I suspect that a 3-5# change could show a good bit of difference for many shooters.  But I also think with good practice that weight change would be zeroed out in a short time.

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Side by side I notice a 3-5 pound difference. That said, I really dont notice it much when I take out my 60# one day or my 65# on another.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
IMHO, much is based on what you expect from a bow. If I were going up 6#, I'd just stay with what I had. Guarantee, if you want to go up for whatever reason, simple exercises will get you there pdq. Same exercises for maintenance 3-4 times weekly. Bunches of folks herein have benefitted w/these exercises. Maybe they'll respond in kind here. Neither am I saying you need to shoot heavy. Shoot what fits in your own mind.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
When I practice in the back yard, I will bounce back and forth between a 65# bow and a 75# bow. I tend to shoot 12 arrows with one and then 12 with the other. Don't really notice it then.

It is when I go back and forth from 65# to 85# I can really tell.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I think with a few days practice you would do fine with a 6# step up.

After starting archer again I found my 40#s a little hard but by the second day I could already feel it getting easier and by the third I was thinking I should of got a 50#er, the human body is an amazing thing.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Wow, those high poundage bows blow my mind.  I would think another advantage to high draw weights would be additional choices for limb veneers; cast iron, titanium, ivory -- just gig'n ya!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
This last month I switched from 57# to about 65#. It was a bigger transition than I thought it would be for sure. I really notice it when I shoot the #57 after 3 weeks of shooting the heavier bow,it was a big jump for me. I was a little nevrous at frist for being able to shoot the heavier bow effectivly for some of my late season hunting. I feel good now but it took some work.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
I have made 5 and 7 lb jumps in weight and it was not as bad as I thought it would be at first. I did notice but not in a negative way. I will usually shoot between 52# and 65#. For some reason I shoot the 57#-60# bows best 57#'s is my sweet spot if you can call it a sweet spot. Lighter bows make me feel as if I am never anchored fully and get a floating sensation.

The lighter bow pulls so easily I lose my concentration the 57# bow is that point where I feel my anchor is solid and my form is good and my focus is where it should be for me to shoot well.
USMC 82-86

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
If your at your maximum, try this exercise with your present bow: pull it back 12" (pause), continue to 18" (pause), continue to full draw (pause), then down to 18" (pause), then to 12" (pause) before letting it down.

Repeat three times, then switch to left hand and do it again. If it is difficult to do this exercise from both sides (Right & Left), then you are probably at your maximum. If you work at this exercise until it is easy, you will be ready to move up 5 lbs. You should do this exercise every other day for several weeks. Do the exercises if your not shooting to stay in condition.

If you shoot 50# comfortably, and can pull 55# but not 60#, this exercise will help if your going to move up in weight.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
If going up 5-6# gives you the "shakes", stay right were you are until you can hold your bow for at least 5-10 seconds. I dont hold that long when shooting, but its a good indicator of your strength. Fighting the bow for an extra few pounds isnt worth the accuracy you will lose. I started at 42# way back when and can pull 75-80# now if I needed to. I settled on 52-58# for my hunting situations and I try to keep it in there for ease of buying wood shafts, hard to find good 75-80 spine and up.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
I'll be finding out what a 'noticeable' step up is very shortly. After being away from trad gear for awhile and having had a shoulder injury, I've been shooting 50# bows. I could probably shoot a couple hundred (or more) arrows in a session without getting overly tired. I have a 62# bow (I previously shot 60-64#) that I'll be starting to work with next month. When I get comfortable with that, then I'll start working with a 70#'er. I have about 3 years to get stronger, comfortable, and accurate with that bow. I'll be 55 in Feb, and have kept myself fit. If nothing else, it'll be interesting and fun!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©