3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blacktail/Schafer bows  (Read 684 times)

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
Blacktail/Schafer bows
« on: November 24, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I'm looking to get a new bow and am going back and forth betweeen a Blacktail and a Schafer.  I was wondering if any of you have owned both and can let me know what your thoughts are of each.  Any advice will be appreciated  :)  .

Cheers
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blacktail/Schafer bows
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm 100% certain you will be happy with either.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Buy them both...   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Check out the grips on both bows....different.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Both are top end.

Some may prefer the Schafer and some the Blacktail.

I have had both and like both bows.

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Both are top of the line bows will put a smile on your face. I have both and shoot the Schafer the most.
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Here we go...."I like this one..."

Advice? Check them out for yourself. They are different designs. All that matters is how you feel about the bow.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline PA-Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Have had both. I had one of the original Schafers Paul built. At a week moment(after much beging)I sold the Schafer to a friend. The worst moment in my trad life. Trust me he wont sell it back. I also have a Blacktail with a new one comming next month. The grips are diffrent, so I agree. You must buy both. Ether way I can tell you the craftmanship in the Blacktail is as good as it gets in my opinion. The grip on the Schafer is more like the bows of the early years.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Which is better, a Mercedes or a BMW? They are both great, and so are the Blacktail and the Schafer. There is no bow more beautiful than the Blacktail. As to which shoots better, it depends on the shooter, as everyone posting so far seems to agree. They definitely are different from one another in design and will feel different to you.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I own two Blacktails and have shot a Schafer. I like the grip on the Blacktails better. Norm will make a custom grip for you. If you order a Blacktail, send a tracing of your hand that grips the bow. This is what I did since I have small hands.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Place an order for both and sell the one that does not "fit" you. I like them both, quite a bit actually but when it comes to crunch time,(hunting) I always gravitate towards my Silvertip!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
You won't go wrong with either one. I do personally lean towards Norms bows.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Had many bows and always end up shooting my Silvertip

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
I have them both, actually two of each and love them both. The craftsmanship on the blacktail is incredible. The draw on the Silvertip is very smooth. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
They are among the very best. It is personal preference  call them up get them to send you a demo bow.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 02:52:00 AM »
I have some Blacktail and I like them,very consistent hand placement everytime.The craftmanship is behind compare.The bow is fast and no hand shock,a little bit noisy with a factory string,but with a skinny it becomes quiet.It is very sensible the correct arrow spine IMHO.I liked the Silvertip as well but never tried before,I have 2 on order that must be ready in a couple of months.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 04:04:00 AM »
I have a 1-piece blacktail and have shot Dave's demo Schafer. I also have another blacktail (Snakebit TD) on order and a Schafer Silvertip on order also. So, you can see I wasn't able to compare and eliminate one.

As others have written, both are fantastic bows. The blacktail is simply beautiful and better made than the finest rifle; fit, finish, joints, wood grain, etc.  I had to have some help with the blacktail to tame its "twang" but Night Wing solved that for me--brace height tweaking. The checkered grip on the Blacktail is the first checkered I've ever felt and I love it. The grip on the blacktail is more compact than the Silvertip and makes you set your bowhand correctly which is a plus in my book.

When I received the demo Silvertip I was immediately impressed with its "heft" and "killer feel".  Sorry I can't explain this but the Schafer just felt like it was made to hunt. Maybe its because I know of Paul Schafer's reputation as a bowhunters hunter?  The silvertip is also a perfectly built bow and I'm expecting mine to be very beautiful. If you want FF you have to use Dymondwood in the Schafer riser (with an exotic wood flare if you want) and that limits you a bit on wood choices.

You can't go wrong with either bow. However, like BJ said, if you can try one out, the $50 in shipping (to and from) would be well worth the investment if you want to buy only one. Both bows have similar build times -- 10-13 months. The Schafer requires a 50% deposit and the Blacktail $100-150. Both bowyers are immensly helpful and patient as you decide exactly what you want in the way of woods, checkering, etc.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Norm's bow has my vote..... Only problem is I have too many of his now. They are both excellent so it probably comes down to feel of the grip, time waiting, cost and which look is your preference. They chronograph comparably, both are fast and quiet, and easy to tune. Be sure you buy one to fit your draw length and release method, split or 3 under. PM me if you want more low down skinny....
bryce olson

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
I have owned both.  I prefer the grip on the Schafer.  Both bows are equals when it comes to customer service, craftsmanship, performance, etc.  But the grip on the Schafer is what sets it apart for me.

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©