3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you totally at home in the woods?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Ar lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you totally at home in the woods?
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
BOO!
Its never crowded on the "extra mile"!

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
not far from where i live a guy murdered two hikers a man an woman off of the AT while they slept in their sleeping bags.there is also a few other creepy stories coming out of the pa part of the appalachains.Yeah day time im fine but come dark i at least like to be with one other person.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Never been to worried out in the bush, night or day the more remote the better. Lot of times we'v been out with hippo's feeding around camp, lions roaring near by. When you know the bush well there is really not much to worry about.
I think whats important is you need to have a respect of the dangers out in the bush...not a fear.
i feel out of place in the cities, i think there's way more dangers there, then in the woods.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
The woods don't bother me, others have told me that I feel to much at home in the woods simply because during the daytime if I'm tired I will just lay down in a nice comfortable place and go to sleep.

When its my time to go, I hope I'm doing what I love to do.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Wolves sound real cool at night.  It's the dang cougar screams that scare the crap out of me.  LOL

Had one night when my two partners and I were packing an elk out and had about 75# each in the packs.  We walked through a herd of elk and heard a cougar take down an elk very close by.  Let me tell ya double time would have been a jog.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
As faras the woods themselves and the wildlife that live there, none of that bothers me. AS a couple others have mentioned, I do have concerns of running into some of the dirtbags that prey on others in wild places. Camp raiders, dopers, meth heads etc. There are areas of the country with big problems in the national parks and wilderness areas with illegal aliens, and drug labs.

Havent run across any of that, but regardless of where I am, I have my carry gun with me. Not so much for critters, but for dirtbags. Ya never know where theyre gonna pop up.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
The snakes, coyotes, cougars...they don't bother me.

But, I love to walk thru the woods at night without a light.  A perfect recipe for getting a tree branch gouged in my eye or twisting an knee or breaking an ankle.  

Then while I'm writhing around, screaming in pain, maybe ill develop a fear of the coyotes as they circle me in the brush, waiting for me to become fatigued so they can finish me off.

Pleasant thoughts.  It actually doesn't sound too bad after Thanksgiving with the kinfolk!

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
I hate the dark.  I enter most of my stands in pink light.

Offline GUYZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I just love being in the woods.It is my drug of chose.There is something MYSTIC about walking in the woods at night during a full MOON.

MAY THE SIPRIT OF FRED BEAR GUIDE OUR ARROWS.

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
You're supposed to be alert in the woods of for that matter anyplace you are. Just because your aware of possible danger doesn't mean your not comfortable in that environment. I'm comfy anywhere I am maybe because when I was a young man I hunted people and they hunted me. Frank

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
I love the dark. I spent to many years hunting dangerous hominids in the night to be afraid of other things that hunt at night. Knowing another predator is close at night is a rush  
I wanna hear dangerous hominid stories!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
theres nothing there at night thats not there during the daylight hours.i absolutely love being in the forest after dark.your senses go into hyper drive.its good for your soul,dont think of it as fear its just normal instincts taking over.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »
posted by vanilla gorilla:The snakes, coyotes, cougars...they don't bother me.

But, I love to walk thru the woods at night without a light. A perfect recipe for getting a tree branch gouged in my eye or twisting an knee or breaking an ankle.

Then while I'm writhing around, screaming in pain, maybe ill develop a fear of the coyotes as they circle me in the brush, waiting for me to become fatigued so they can finish me off.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa...cracked me up .

:D    :laughing:    :laughing:    :D
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2010, 04:01:00 AM »
"Camp raiders, dopers, meth heads etc."

Me too. The critters don't bother me, it's the human encounter that make my hair stand up. I carry a handgun daily, whether I'm in the woods or in town., just for that reason.

I feel totally at home in the woods. More comfortable there than elsewhere. Now a mall.....forget it.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2010, 04:51:00 AM »
I am quite comfortable outside after dark. I even go canoeing and whitewater kayaking after sunset (sometimes not by choice). Being in the woods is like a walk in the park. All my senses are heightened and on high alert. It’s better than drugs.

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
This is a excerpt from the book "Hood" by Stephen Lawhead.

As Bran watched,he listened to the sounds of the woodland transforming itself for night as the birds flocked to roost and nights children began to awaken:mice and voles,badgers,foxes,bats-all with their particular voices-and it seemed to him then,as never before,that a forest was more than a place to hunt and gather timber,or else better avoided.More than a stand of moss-heavy trees;more than a sweet-water spring bubbling up from the roots of a distant mountain;more than a smooth-pebbled pool,gleaming,radiant as a jewel in a green hidden dell,or a flower-strewn meadow surrounded by a slender host of white swaying birches,or a badger delving in the dark earth beneath a rough-barked elm,or a fox kit eluding a diving hawk;more than a proud stag standing watch over his clan....More than these,the forest was itself a living thing,it's life made up of all the smaller lives contained within it's borders.

I thought this description pretty well summed it up.Whether we experience fear or awe it's still the closest man will ever get to being whole.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
It's the only place I feel truely comfortable.  I almost stepped on a bear in the dark once that was on a kill(3 yrds). I thought it was a calf elk in the trail until my eye's focused. Seen lost of rattlers at night and even had a cougar stalk me for awhile once but I still feel more at peace in the woods than anywhere else. I fear the big towns!

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I'm pretty chunky and I got a bum knee. I may as well be alone in the woods at night, cause if anything attacks they are going to single me out as the easy meal in the herd anyways.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself,a bird will drop frozen dead from a bow without having ever felt sorry for itsself"

Your either a wild thing or your not.

I carry my bow and knife and rarely need a flashlight.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Realy thers no difrerance day our night you just do not see the thing thats going to eat you. Two leged predators are way worse than the four leged kind.We do not have woods we have forest,when the sun goes down its black.Kinda cool.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©