3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 66" Recurve Config Help - Back to Archery after 23 years  (Read 342 times)

Offline Gulf Coast Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
66" Recurve Config Help - Back to Archery after 23 years
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
I used to shoot a Dynabo for hogs and deer (Recurve top / large CAM on bottom).  Stopped when joined the military.

Starting back into Archery for an excuse to chase animals in the woods and focused on a simpler configuration than the high-tech compounds running around.

My budget is very low.  Common problem from reading alot of threads.

Went to a local pro-shop and shot alot of different recurves. Before trying I thought the Hoyt Dorado or Martin Jaguar were the bows for me.  Ugh.  With a 31" draw length they stack up on me.  The bows that worked for me had long limbs.  At the same time I want as short of a bow as possible for hunting (I much prefer still hunting to stand hunting).  A local regular at the pro-shop convinced me ILF is the way to go, especially considering I want a takedown.

So short riser long limbs is my plan to achieve an overall 66" Bow with a 44lb draw weight at 31" that won't stack on me.  (I plan to use 500 weight full length feathered carbon arrows for first dozen).  I will be doing a hand Camo job once I get the bow.  In the future I can always increase limb weight but for now I could comfortably hold this weight without shaking.

Here is my intended $300 budget configuration.  Can anyone give me their thoughts?  Am I on the right track?
RISER:  Hoyt Excel Recurve Riser, 21" RH-Black  
LIMBS:  Win Win KAP T-Rex Wood/Fiberglass Limbs `07 Repl.Evol II, Wght/Lgth on 23" Riser, 36#/68”
BOWSTRING:  Stone Mountain DF97 Flemish Twist Bowstring 16st, 66" AMO  
PLUNGER:  Cartel Super Cushion Plunger Button , Black-Short  
REST:  Cavalier T-300 Hunter RH  
STRINGER:  Cartel Bow Stringer  

What am I missing besides the arrows?

BTW I really like the forum.  The trad archery community sure is full of some good people!
Chris

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 66" Recurve Config Help - Back to Archery after 23 years
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Need a glove or a tab.
maybe a quiver if you start hunting.
$300 is a tight budget but you can shop around and get some good deals
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
My budget is actually under $500.  This was just the best I came up with so far.
Chris

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
it's all personal subjective stuff, and in the long run the arrow is still more important than the bow.

if you haven't spent a lotta time with a good trad wood 'n' glass bow in yer hands, you may wanna bone up a bit before dropping yer loot on a metal risered machine with that unnecessary plunger appendage and flipper rest - save that stuff for the targets.  trad bowhunting works best with simple but sturdy tools.  check out the classifieds and check out the links in my sig line.  good luck and welcome home to the true trad side of bowhunting!  :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Okay.  So I started reading some of the links and saw that I am left eye dominant but that I shoot right handed.  I can't see switching to left-hand.  I spent 5 years nearly every day shooting right hand and even though that was a long time ago it would just be too weird to switch now.  What are the issues that arise from shooting right handed with a dominant left eye?

To your comment on simple I thought I was going simple.  lol
Chris

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
I am not left eye dominant, so what I know is only what I have heard from others.  But it seems like most that have committed to making the switch report that although it seems very strange at first it doesn't take long before it becomes completely natural.  Since you are just starting back into it this sure would be an easier time to make the change.  

I'll have to defer to those that have been through it to tell you how much or how little it helped there shooting.  I think most wish they had done it sooner.

Another benefit is that it sure seems like there are always some great deals on left handed bows in the classifieds!  :readit:  

I agree with Rob on his "Keep it Simple" philosophy.    :thumbsup:   A plain old bow shot off the shelf with the right arrows will preform far better than most shooters are ever capable of.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Good.  So, the rest off the shelf sounds like a better starting point.  I must admit that when I test fired recurves off the shelf the padded environment for the arrow seemed to make for a more silent set-up.  I did notice some peel back on the shelf material so maybe a bit more maintenance in that area.

Now this left-handed thing sounds crazy.  I need to get to the range and try it out.  I agree that now is not only the best time it is probably the only time.  I know I can't throw a baseball left-handed worth beans.  Isn't this kind of like that?
Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I have held off on buying a bow just yet and using the little green fiberglass 60" 35# Fleetwood bow.  I have been shooting exclusively left handed pretty much every day.  It now is perfectly natural and my strength has built a lot.  

Every time my shots go off target I have to remind myself its not the bow its the archer.  After so much time away from archery my expectations are higher than my results.  I have promised myself that I will get good at shooting this bow first before making my first purchase.

Having a blast.  Thanks for the advice!!!
Chris

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
If you like metal risers you might try to find a Black Bear Warf. I think they feel better barebow then the Hoyt Excel.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Too bad you did not get a Martin Ventura right from the start.  66" and a solid shooter.

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
So your shooting left hand still?
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Sounds like you're on the right track.. I say that because it sounds to me like you're enjoying yourself and that's what counts.

Welcome back to archery and to Tradgang. Enjoy your journey along with the rest of us.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Chris,

Like some of the others have said "keep it simple."  I too got back into archery via the traditional route and was hasty in picking a bow to purchase.  I ended up with a real shooter, a take-down with two sets of limbs in different weights and lengths.  And now after nearly eight years, I've really started seeing beauty of a single stick, be it a recurve or a longbow.  There's just something inspiring about them.  And the lack of weight has it hands down over the take-down.  And to tell you the truth, I haven't taken mine down in several years now.  
As far as the rest goes, the shelf is were it's at my friend.  Get as close to your hand as possible, you'll never regret it.  
Welcome back and enjoy the Trad journey!
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Look at the classifieds, or save some more and go to a Trad.shoot, you will see lots of bows and other trad. archery stuff for sale. I stopped shooting in 74 and just got back to lightside of the force a couple of years ago.

Welcome back !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©