3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thanks Uncle Barry  (Read 566 times)

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Uncle Barry
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
3 years ago my dad and I received permission to hunt a great farm.  It was a long way from VT so scouting was limited to a 1/2 day when we arrived and then between sits.  I always brought a climber and would use observations while hunting to try and home in on the deer.  The first year we hunted there I nearly shot a really big 11 point but he saw me in the tree.  Since then I have seen a number of nice bucks but could never put all the pieces together.  I had good satellite photos of the farm and spent a lot of time last summer looking at the pics and trying to figure out where I should put my stands.  In August, I sent Barry an email with a plea for help.  I included the satellite photos and all the observations of where I saw the deer.  I drew some lines on the pics with deer trails and observed movement.

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thanks Uncle Barry
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Barry sent back an unbelievably detailed reply.   From looking at the photos he predicted buck movement, wind direction and what looked to be the best locations for various winds.  I replied with a couple more questions and he quickly answered.  The locations he indicated were close to where I had been but seemed to play the wind or expected movement better than where I had been sitting.

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
When we arrived at the farm, a quick scouting trip helped me locate stand sites in Barry's recommended locations.  There wasn't really more sign in the new spots but I had faith....I hung the stands.  I had good stands up for North and South winds.

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
On the 3rd day of our trip I caught this guy cruising for does at 10:30 in the morning.  It looked like he had read Barry's email and decided to follow the script.  A 15 yard shot and he was all mine.   Thanks Uncle Barry for your help.  It was a great hunt!

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Congrats, its great when a plan comes together.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Super buck and way to work it all out!  Must feel good to get it done.  Congrats!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Nice deer sir!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Nice!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
Too cool! Congrats on a great buck!   :notworthy:  to Uncle Barry! Man has scary big buck skills!  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
Nice deer Steve! The devil is in the details. I'm not saying UB is the devil, but he's a good one to have on your side!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
AWESOME!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Steve: My pleasure to help a friend. I applaud your persistence. Good job and congratulations. By the way, I like that droptine coming off the right mainbeam in your photo. Ha. UB

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Nice buck Steve!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
That's the first thing I thought when I saw the photo, UB...then I wiped my glasses and oh, its his bowtip. :biglaugh:  

Beautiful buck, Steve.

Sometimes it's neat when a fresh set of eyes look at a problem I'm messing with, and WHAM! They figure it out right away- sometimes you can get too close, or second guess yourself...that's my big problem-
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Great buck and good job by your "Uncle"...  Now ya have a better feel for what going on...

Good luck.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Nice job.  I've been so close the last couple of years it scary.  I'm trying to hold out for a nice buck and I'll continue to do the same.  Just having the encounters with big bucks gets me excited.  I better get a hold of Barry and have him look my maps over.LOL  Way to go Steve.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Thats a great buck Steve.  Way to work it out!  As for Wensel boys, they continue to spread the love - great guys!!!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Bobhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
:clapper:   very nice.   Something tells me Barry just got about 300 e-mails with sattelite photos.    :biglaugh:
Toelke Whip
Assenheimer Hunter Deluxe
"We don't stop playing because we are old.  We are old because we stop playing."  Ben Franklin

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
Congrats for your buck.I am really impressed from all the knowledge the twins have about WTs.
I think it is their love for the sport and their attention to the details with intelligence osservations during all those years.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
Congrats Steve! Hope your season back home goes as well. Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©