3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Burned out..for the first time in my life.  (Read 806 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Burned out..for the first time in my life.
« on: November 25, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
I have had the good fortune to be able to hunt in Pike County Illinois this season, an area obviously known for big bucks.  I was also able to hunt for over two weeks in November so far.  Because of this...I raised my standards fairly high, as far as what size buck I wanted to shoot, but also kept my goal realistic.  I decided I was not going to shoot a buck that was under 140 inches net.  I hunted very hard during this time, and was seeing a number of decent bucks.  I passed up 15 bucks at 20 yards or less...including multiple Pope and Young contenders and saw many other bucks that were out of shooting range.  But I was also continuosly plagued with bad luck.  It seems that every time a buck I was interested in taking was working it's way too me, something out of my control would happen, leaving me without a shot.  You guys all know what I mean.  The worst was one evening I had 4 bucks coming towards me, all traveling together.  I thought it was odd to have four bucks hanging out in November.  The first two were nice bucks in the 130 inch range.  The third buck was a monster 6x5 in the 160 inch range, and the last one was a little 1.5 year old.  I was in a tree that I had picked out last february.  Big tree with lots of background cover.  Here they come.  They were working through a funnel that was going to give me a 15 yard shot.  All I had to do was let the first two little ones pass through, and the big one was gonna get it.  The first one went right through my lane, and the second was right behind him just a few yards.  Unbelievebly, right when he got in my lane he decided to make a scrape.  When he reached up to do the licking branch thing, his head was aiming upwards at in angle that put me right in his line of sight. I was not concerned because of the good cover my tree had, not to mention that I was wearing a facemask.  I still cannot believe it, but somehow that buck picked me off, and ran out of there, taking the big one with him, who never had a clue I was there.  
     Anyway, I had numerous other examples of similar incidents resulting in just plain bad luck.  
    So here it is...Thanksgiving, and I have the go ahead to head back to Pike county from my wife.  She is very understanding.  However, for some reason I just don't feel like going.  Skipping out on hunting in November when I have the chance is not something I have ever done.  I feel like I just need a little break.  Not to mention that I feel a little guilty leaving my wife at home, especially since I was gone for two weeks earlier in the month.  Anybody else ever go through this?  I'll probably end up changing my mind, and hitting the road in the morning, (Pike county is over 3 hours from my house) but for now, I feel content to just stay back.  I think I may be going crazy.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Burned out..for the first time in my life.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Sounds like a perfectly normal state of affairs mate . I haven't hunted much this year at all . New jobs , sickness in the family etc have led me to cancel at least two hunts ...both which would have been the hunts of a lifetime. I don't regret not going on either but at the same time remain somewhat heartbroken and guilty for letting the lads down I was going with .]
But at the end of the day archery , as much as we love it, dream it and breathe it , is our leisure time , as such I see exactly where you are coming from.
Friends and family come first ... that way when afield we can be unencumbered by guilt  ...

Its funny , a week after turning down a hunt at the last minute , a hunt i had been dreaming of since i was a kid , i picked up my bow and let a fly across my very small inner city lawn... the dogs where at my feet and my partner , very very sick at the time , was  convalescing from a life threatening illness on the couch inside .

There was no where else I would have been that afternoon.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Man I had the same thing happen to me last year. I just switched gears and have been chasing upland birds with my dogs and doing other kinds of hunting.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Is it not grand being in love?   My season has been similar to yours (With the exception of BIG bucks) and although I have a month to hunt yet (although I have to share it with the firearms crew), I chose to be with the wife and family today.   I guess we're getting old and soft... Ain't it grand?   There's still plenty of time!   Just put your understanding wife first!   I always try to and the good Lord blesses... Give it a try, you'll understand and be happier for it!
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I didn't have those kinds of bucks continuously at close range this last month, but I decided to take a few weeks off to spend more time with the family. I could have hunted nearly every morning for about an hour and a half this last two weeks. I let it go. I will be back out shortly, but I have enjoyed the break at home myself.

In your situation, I might find it a bit tougher to hang out at home. However, I might be more comfortable indoors if I already had the buck of a lifetime in my avatar!

Enjoy your time with your wife and get back out there when you are feeling the urge again!  :thumbsup:

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
You, young man, need a "breather".  Take a bit of time and decompress.  You are pushing your own "Try" buttons.  Go shoot some rabbits and then go hit it again.

I speak from experience here...  Good luck from the other end of the state.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm lucky that i can get to hunt good bucks right out the back door. I have been hunting literally every day am and pm since 9/17. I have been after a couple of big bucks and have let numerous others walk. I have screwed the deal up twice thus far. I am feeling the burn big time. Its getting harder and harder to be out there. I feel guilty as I've let other things slip. I have a great wife , very supportive but i knows she is sick of doing things by herself. Its hard to give up but it gets harder to hang in there. You're not alone..........
Make a life, not a living

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Jonboy, Jonboy, Jonboy..... Quit yer crying bud ! You are hunting in the Mecca of deer hunting and we are stuck here in TN ! Mason and I were just talking today that between the two of us we have only seen a total of 15 deer this year and we have hunted pretty hard. He has killed 3 but had to smokepole them due to not being able to get them in bow range. Again, same as you, just cannot catch a break ! When we got to hunt ILL for a few years we were seeing 20 deer a day ! I would gladly exchange my WHOLE season in TN for two weeks in ILL.

We moved about 200 yds in our grown over clearcut yesterday trying to see more deer and I had a 120" 9 point come right to me. Yes, right to me.... he was head on and snuck in behind me. He has been shot this year or last and is dragging his left front leg so when he limps along he swings his head up. Yep, you guessed it on one of those head swings he looked right up at me and almost skylined me. The only thing that saved my butt was my Predator Fall Gray. After he looked right thru me for a few seconds he determined all was well. When he turned 90 degrees left to go down the hill I tried to turn 180 degrees as quick as possible but in those few seconds he was already behind brush and no shot !!! Just cannot get a break.

Snuck back in the morning hoping to get him and put him out of his misery with that bad leg. Did not see a single deer in 4 hrs, Ughhhhh ! However, as I was scanning the woods where he came out of yesterday something caught my eye.... It was white, had the right shape, length, and spacing..... It was about 60 yds away and almost buried in the new leaf fall but I knew what it was..... A big shed ! When Mason came to get me I stayed in the tree and directed him to it. He thought the old man had lost his mind, haha ! Should have seen the look on his face when he finally seen it and yanked it out of the leaves ! I am convinced it is the shed off a bigger 9 that got by me last Thanksgiving morning. Again Jon, he was 35yds and closing when the doe in front of him kept getting more and more downwind till she finally busted me and took him with her. I know what frustration is all about Jon. I do not know if we are ever going to get one..... ? Both of these deer would have been gravy shots with the firestick, but that is not what I want and neither do you Jon. That is the whole reason we picked up the sticks, right..... ? Time to Cowboy up and count your blessings bud. Looking forward to your hero pics soon, I know you can do it bud !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
I think that is normal.  Hunting hard is very mentally and physically taxing and you need a break to recharge.  I believe that we have a little meter in the back of our brains that also tells us when it's time to stay with the family as well.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
I think I may be going crazy.
I agree.  You've lost it  :bigsmyl:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Spend some time with your wife and recharge the batteries. i don't have to tell you this cause you already know it, but you are truly blessed!   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
I to have had those feeling Jon the older I get. Not sure if you have kids yet or not but when or if you do the feelings of pulling you home become stronger. Especially as you say when you have been away too much. I also think they strengthen with age as I've talked to a few older guys about it as well as advice from my dad.

I also find sitting at home when I haven't been out in a while the woods will pull at me as well. Everything in moderation my friend.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Maybe lower your standards a bit....then you'll be happy whenever you do smoke a nice one! Maybe i say that because there are not many big bucks in my area and i will be thrilled with a 120's or more
*COMING SOON* Bama Hunter Longbow #53 @ 28"

2 Timothy 1:7- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Sorry to hear, and about your luck, but yeah, know the feeling. I got burned out 5 years ago after chasing a B&C class piebald practically daily from filming (or trying too) in June through hunting to end of bowseason on the last day of January. The last time I laid eyes on him was January 28, 2006, after slamming the brakes to avoid wrecking him as he bounced mere feet in front of me on the way home from the hunt and then had the gull to flag me across an open field bounding away as if to say goodbye. I still hate that deer, should have floored the throttle...8^)

It caused me a 6 plus year relationship, she moved out the following week.

At that point I was totally burned out and sat down and evaluated my priorities. I kinda lost the desire to hunt for a while and didn’t even step foot in the woods all that spring and summer. Think I may have made it out twice that fall. Later a spark rekindled the flame and I spent a little more time in the woods the following year. Now I’m back at it, but will never be as serious as I once was.

I took four weeks vacation this year starting the last week of October and ended Monday. I hunted, but not as hard as I used too. (Was too busy with honeydews, yardwork, and winterizing the house…8^)) Haven’t loosen the string at a buck yet, (passed a few) although I do like bowhunting late season though…8^)

Take some time off from the woods Jon, they will always be there. It may be best for your hunting spirit right now… Hang in there…

BTW, never did learn of the demise of that piebald buck.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
I think we all need a break somtimes. On another note it sounds like you had very successful year in that you had all the opportunties you mentioned at 20 yds or less.

It was a tough job you gave yourself and you stuck to your goal. I say congratulations.
USMC 82-86

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Sounds as if you have hunted hard and have your priorities in order. Hunting when you don't want to may take a way pleasurable memories of past hunts and the anticpation for your next hunts.

When I start to burn out, I start to focus on my strategies for next season.

The enjoyment of hunting is who you are and you don't want to lose that.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I understand what you are feeling.  The only problem is you have to hunt when the season is upon us.  When I start to put pressure on myself, some days I just decide, no hunting, maybe shoot a few arrows, re check my gear, but do not hunt.   It only takes a night of missing a hunt and I am back in the game the next day.  Being away from home, like you are, is another problem.  Luckily, you get to do it.  Many do not...  Take a few days off and hit it later in the week.

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Been there, done that and have the T-shirt.  Go with your gut.  Early on it was just me and my wife.  Now I have 3 little ones that want me home.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Jon,

There are just so many variables that really are not within our control when it comes to hunting.  When we couple these with our already self-imposed limitations of traditional archery, well it often times appears that any/every thing us apt to adversely affect us!  I think sometimes we do just need to "back up & punt" until we are ready to play the game again.

Having the level of maturity to honor you wife and your relationship is something that I feel should always trump the personal enjoyment we sometimes get, while our better halves are left to handle the mundane stuff we leave behind.

My wife has been understanding if my hunting endeavors over the years, but honestly I have pushed the envelope many times.  I've convieniently missed PTA meetings, recitals, ball games, etc.  Unfortunately these events seem insignificant to me at the time, but later I recognized that I should have been there to support my family.

I think that you are focused and considerate and should trust your instincts!  Very good post buddy!!  Still planning to come up and hunt with you some time!

Take care buddy.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I'm broken down myself this year, for the first time also. I did not go in the woods yesterday or today. I just didn't want to. Hunted hard and LOOONNG this year and got zero. Not even a spiker in a shooting lane, everything was just out of range this year. Not sure if I'm going out tomorrow a.m. or not. I'll be very disappointed in myself later if I dont.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©