3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Burned out..for the first time in my life.  (Read 805 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Burned out..for the first time in my life.
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
I think I may be going crazy.
You'll really wonder about that come the day after the season closes for the year.  Pike County IL?  Time available? Green light from the wife?  Yep, you're nuts!  :biglaugh:  

I sure know the burn out factor.  Gets to me too sometimes.  But I know it will be over before I know it, and there is no looking back.  All you'll have left then is to dream of next year.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Good thread Jon. I have enjoyed reading everybody's thoughts.
It's good to see that one is not alone in "hunter burnout"!
My advice is take a couple days enjoy the time with your wife/family. Then go right back after it knowing that you have the support from family at home.

chris <><

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
This is a good thread.  Honest and authentic stuff.  Yes I get the burnout once in a while and sometimes even when I'm not burnt out, its just the right thing to do to lay off for a day  or two.  

Bowhunting is a way of life but it is not all there is to life.  It took me some time to figure that out.  

Take a breather Jon and then when the time is right, hit it again with all you got bro!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Could you be concentrating too much on the end result and not enough on enjoying the process of bowhunting?  

Being goal orientated is fine but try not to turn it into a job/chore.  Embrace the equiptment and time afield and take what comes your way.  Good luck,  Chad

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Holm-Made said it .......the time afield, things seen, it's all part of the process. You should go shoot a spike horn.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Jon, usually only takes a couple days to recharge my battery.   :)

The bucks I shot this season were a step down from what I've been fortunate to take in recent years, but each was very special in its own way:  the way the hunt unfolded, being able to share it with someone...plus I love kills on a morning hunt when I can enjoy it the rest of the day and not face having to get stuff done before working the next day.

It's all good...and a year or two without taxidermy costs can be a nice bonus.  How's that for finding a silver lining?
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Sometimes you feel like a hunt! Sometimes you don't.

Good luck if you go.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Its funny how in this world we live and as we age how prioritys can change.I've been doing this bow shooting thing for over 45 years now and I honestly feel I,ve evolved in all aspects of our great sport.
To answer your question simple,YOUR not going crazy.We are all differant and so are our priorities.No matter what any one tells you and no matter where your hunting YOU my friend have it all right.Your family is No.1
Lots on here can't believe you would forgo hunting in Pikes couny Ill.because the hunting is so good,compared to family SO WHAT.
Where I live I honestly believe it is the best deer hunting in the world,yes world.If we had the No. of hunters you have down there you would see shot deer of unbelievable size taken.In reality there still out there.
I can hunt for two solid months and had the whole season off and only got out 4 times.Lazy? nope just to many other things to do with my family.I shoot now more trhan ever and just enjoy flinging arrows and building archery related items.
My wife puts no preasure on me and I'm free to go whenever I want.My health stopped alot of excursions and I'm hoping by next year to spend more time out there.
Years ago I busted my rear chasing and shooting some monster animals but now I'm just content to be out there with my bow with no preasures on myself.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Don't feel guilty for taking a day off. You just happen to have your priorities in the right place, and I'm sure your wife appreciated the company. Even though bowhunting is "who we are", it's not ALL we are. And if it's not fun, why do it? It shouldn't feel like work or an obligation. My guess is a day off to re-charge will be good for you. Hope you were able to enjoy the day off, after all, it's called THANKSgiving for a reason. Wise choice, my friend. Good luck and get 'em tomorrow!

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
When hunting for really big bucks you can get run down.Long hours on stand second guessing all of your choices,not seeing your family.And i also was passing on 130 class bucks looking for that beast and i missed.Take a few days off take the wife out to dinner and you will be back on track.Gun season starts monday thats when bowhunting gets tough around here.Yes its normal to get run down.Good luck  :archer:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I got "hunter burnout" myself last week. I've been hittin' it hard every weekend since the early doe season in Sept. The good Lord blessed me with two fine bucks. Though they are not of your caliber of bucks. I would have been happy with just a doe. Well, last week about the third day; I found myself sitting on stand wishing I was home. At that moment I realized I wasn't enjoying myself, which is one reason I hunt. So now I'm on a break for a little bit. I still have a doe tag to burn, maybe I'll get out again. But if I don't, I feel happy enough with this season to last me to the next. What ever you decide, just make sure your enjoying your time. God bless. Jim

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
Jon I've seen one legal buck in shooting range this year and he came in to my back and never gave me a shot. I haven't seen a deer except from my truck for a week. General season ends this weekend. Want to trade hunting areas?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
I would not sweat it much Jon.

I have done the 14 days of straight hunting putting in many hours during the rut and come close many times.Closed the deal a few times as well as you have on some nice bucks.

I only hunted 7 days in ILL. this year and had one chance at a dandy buck under 25 yards with no perfect shots though.I probably could have let loose an arrow and had a reasonable expectation of success.But it did not feel quite perfect.It does not not seem to bother me much at all these days even though I have been kinda a goal oriented complulsive/obssesive sort in a way toward acheiveing a desired end.Maybe I am just getting older and more mellow.

Thier is always next year and we cant always measure the success of our adventures in a big buck hanging on the pole.

Life is short and long at the same time and you will get many more chances to fullfil your dreams with the hard work you put in.It would not be as fullfilling if thier was no sweat equity.Next year man or the year after that.

I have been burnt out myself at times.The fire is still alive though depending on the year and my mood.I still swing for the fences sometimes and go for it with gusto.But got more perspective of the overall skeem of things.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
Jon loves blind, been there with my wife and all my kids, take time out for your wife,and your family, bowhunting will always be there, trust me on this one.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »
I can tell by your avatar that you are no stranger to big bucks, so you most likely know that the bigger and older they are the smarter and most of all luckier they are. When you raise the bar things can get tough real fast. It sure sounds like you had a good season besides some of the tough luck, hang in there after all it's supposed to be fun not like a job.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
Understanding spouses. We've all heard that line many times over the years. Even with an understanding spouse, this would be a great opportunity to surprise your spouse and spend some quality time with her, maybe even a mini getaway.  You and your relationship will be richer and refreshed for it. It also will reassure your spouse that while you have a passion for the woods, she's still the apple of your eye. Perhaps taking this opportunity to pamper your wife will have her saying in her circles, "I've got an understanding husband, even though he loves to hunt, he took me on a little getaway last weekend...."
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »
Yep, recharge and get back after them. All things in moderation.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 06:37:00 AM »
You are very normal my friend. You show great respect for your wife and family. You have great self discipline for your goals.

You have enjoyed a season thus far that a lot of folks would like to have in a few years of hunting.

From your writing I think you already know what you must do. And usally when you do something for yourself that makes others feel good it is  rewarded back to you.

Earl

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
Jon,
You need a change of pace. Once you have had it, you will be ready to get after the deer again.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
Well Jon...if you're crazy then I too am crazy! All of us here sit in trees for days/weeks with pointy sticks trying to not only shoot a deer but specific deer.....WE ARE CRAZY!!

As far as taking a day or 2 off...very normal! If you do however decide to quit archery just send me your Habus' and I'll take good care of them...Ryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©