3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bison gear pack  (Read 246 times)

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
bison gear pack
« on: November 26, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
I am thinking about getting an expandable lumbar type pack for day hunts. I searched & reread posts here about Bison Gear and looked at their site. Looks like good stuff.
I want to get input from those who've used these packs. I have some thoughts and I'd like to hear your comments to help me decide what will work best for me.

1. Which pack?
I am considering the Outfitter, with the shoulder straps and the expandable game bag.
I want to stay away from too big a pack, but want it to adapt to a bigger load when necessary. I want a narrow profile, so am leery of the ones with side pockets. I guess my second choice is the First Trip Explorer, and maybe take off the side pockets, but then that is bigger and more expensive....hmm. What do you think?
2. Material choice:
I live in a very rainy area. I think the bucksuede might be better than wool for here as it won't get so heavy when wet, and won't require drying (or thawing!)for the next day's hunt. True or False?
How about durability? I am not bothered much by burs here, but have to fight a lot of brush.
3. Size:
I always have to carry rain gear, both coat and pants. If I have this pack, and bone out a deer and have say 50 or 60 lbs of critter, when I deploy the game bag will this pack accomodate all the meat plus the rain gear and whatnot I had in it before? How about an elk quarter or a chunk of moose? Do I need to bone out everything to fit it in the pack or will it handle a quarter of a big animal like that? What are the limitations?
Do those of you who use these hunt with them and after a kill make the first trip back with a load, then switch to a bigger frame pack for the other loads? Or are they your mainstay pack for multiple loads? How on that?
4. Fit:
I have a 34 inch waist. Following their size I would go with a medium...does this seem right or should I just get a large and pull it tight? Every now and then I am all bundled up with rain gear, heavy clothes, pistol,etc. so I wonder if there is a down side to having a large hipbelt other than a longer tail on the web belt?
6. Finally, after using it, have you modified your Bison Gear pack in any way to improve its function for you? Like, added longer lash straps or tabs to hang stuff on the outside after filling it with meat or something? What did you do (or are thinking of doing)?
Thanks for your insights and advice, tell me about these packs.
Walter

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bison gear pack
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
I have a Lemhi for me and a Lost River for my wife.  Both in Bucksuede.  I got the Bucksuede because of it not absorbing water and get heavy.  It is water proof so your gear will stay dry also. I haven't hauled 50 pounds in either yet but they will both carry a lot of stuff and are very confortable.  I don't think that either would carry an elk quarter without it being boned out.  I would get the large size if I were you.  You can always pull a strap tight but if you are at the end of it and need more you are up a creek.  If you end up with a long tail because you don't need all of the strap when you are dressed light just tuck it in somewhere.  If you are going to be packing a moose I would switch to a pack frame after getting back with the first load.  As far as durability they can't be beat!  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »
I have a First Trip Explorer and for the hunting that I do which is mainly whitetails in South Georgia it is perfect.  When I purchased mine a main concern was it being too big for the majority of the hunting that I do. I wanted a pack that I could use for whitetails at home and then have the flexibility to use on trips where I needed the expandable game bag. I talked with Angelo and he suggested the FTE. At home I use the game bag to carry extra clothes to my stand on cold days. You may want to call Angelo and he could point you in the right direction.  One other thing is that I have the wool and it is very quiet.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Boz,  I have the lost river and love it.  It's a large and I've got about a 36" waist and I have to pull lit pretty snug.  It could probably go either way but I think a medium would work for you.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
boz, i just received my bison gear outfitter yesterday, with shoulder straps all i can say is WOW,mine is wool camo,and it is great i love it lots of room and cool features ypu can't go wrong with one.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
I have a wool "Lost River" and a bucksuade "Lemhi". Great packs, but when it comes to packing out meat(moose/elk) nothing beats a pack frame. Course packing meat was not the primary reason I purchased my Bison Gear packs.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Boz:  Cant answer all your questions but I have the Outfitter with shoulder straps, It's a great pack and I love it.  But I dont haul out game with it, as far as the rainsuit goes, I had extra straps put on the bottom of the pack and carry mine there.  You can get as much or as little on the packs as you like. I got the wool, like it because it's quiet.   RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback you guys.
I like the idea of the extra straps for the raingear. That would save a lot of bulk inside, even if I only use the straps after I need to fill the pack with meat.
I go hunting from a boat, coming ashore and walking a long ways at times, so am trying to figure out if I can have a small quiet pack on the way in and still be able to carry game out without coming all the way back to the boat for a larger pack/frame. This sounds doable for deer, not ideal for the packing part, but doable.
That will serve for the majority of my needs, can't ask for more than that. Might be time to call them up...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©