3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A&H ACS CX Tonkin Bamboo limbs  (Read 563 times)

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A&H ACS CX Tonkin Bamboo limbs
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Has any one shot the Tonkin Bamboo limbs yet?  Like to know if it is worth the extra money for them and if they are smoother and faster than the regular limbs?  Thinking of ordering a set.
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A&H ACS CX Tonkin Bamboo limbs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
happy1,

I'll comment although you have to consider me a biased source since it's my and Larry's company.  I'm the testing and R&D geek and seldom offer a subjective opinion since they're so, well, subjective.  But in this case I'll do both.  The objective part is easy.  These limbs increase performance.

By a material margin the fastest bow test I've ever conducted was on our 64" limbs made with this bamboo.  I'm anxious to test more sets to build a collective data base that covers the bow-to-bow variations that any bow design can have, but I'm confident that the performance increase is very real.

With that caveat out of the way I will say that normal bow-to-bow variations caused by slight differences in materials will not overcome the speed increase I measured in that one set of tested limbs.  I feel comfortable in saying that objectively you will experience an increase in performance.  

The subjective part is also very good in my opinion, but you know what "they" say about opinions.  These limbs "feel" very, very good.  For the ultimate subjective wham-o, when made up as one of our ACS-ACX limbs (with all carbon wedge to complement our 4 layers of carbon on the limb surfaces) the subjective feel of these limbs is superb.

Now that I, your friendly biased source has commented, maybe you will hear from some of our satisfied customers who now have these new limbs.

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
John,

JP and I will be happy to give you an objective view point since we have ordered the "new" Tonkin Bamboo limbs and will have a good base line.

The orginal limbs are performing exceptional well and we are anxious to see the difference.

Have you notice any difference in sound quality?  

I suspect that the boo might also be quieter?

God Bless,   Pierre and Jean-Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Pierre,

I know you will be pleased with the new limbs but I cannot comment on the difference in sound quality.  I haven't shot enough of these limbs side-by-side with our other non-bamboo limbs to have a comparison.  

Normally waste energy translates into vibration and therefore sound.  Since these limbs deliver a slightly higher percentage of their stored energy to the arrow (ergo - less waste energy) it would make sense that they'd be quieter.  A first-hand opinion, however, isn't mine to give at this time.  Larry and Phil shoot every bow and set of limbs we make before they leave the shop.  Larry would be in a good position to comment on the sound comparison.

I can DEFINITELY say that the ACX limbs with the carbon wedge is quieter and even subjectively better than our limbs with the standard wedge.  You should consider the ACX option if you want to maximize the sound deadening qualities of the materials.

Love your strings!

John

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Carbon wedgie? I wasn't told about that when I ordered my Bamboo limbs a couple of day ago. John Is that something you can add to my order?

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
Not sure about a wedgie but we can definitely take care of the wedge!

Bjorn, unless the limbs have already been laid up then there is no problem.  Our website talks a fair amount about our ACS-ACX bows (all carbon riser and all carbon limbs).  

The ACX limbs include a carbon wedge as well as carbon butt cap and tip overlays.  The overlays are cosmetic but add a nice touch.  The carbon wedge (instead of our standard solid-fiberglass wedge) adds functionality.  

We've found that the use of carbon in our all-carbon riser as well as the use of carbon in the limb wedge both noticeably attenuate sound/vibration.  I'm not a princess-and-the-pea type of shooter (meaning I don't easily notice slight subjective variations) in bows.  But I can guarantee that the ACX riser and limbs are an entirely different animal and offer a shooting experience that's extraordinary.  The difference is very easy to feel and the difference is a good one.

Add the ACX carbon option to your limbs.  I'll forward this thread to Dan & Larry and they can take care of you.  You should also give them a jingle on Monday and confirm things.

John

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
John,

Thanks for the kind comment.  Our SBD Ultra 6 strand really make your bows hotrods and super quiet.

I have already sent Larry and Dan our request to change our limbs to the ACX carbon wedge with the boo cores in an e-mail.  I hope it is not too late.  

We are trying to get the utimate ACX experience....

God Bless,   Pierre and Jean-Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I can't find on the website what the extra cost is for Tonkin or carbon wedges. What is the additional cost for the Tonkin and carbon wedge?

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
Hi Gil,

You're right - it is hard to find.  We need to update our website!

The Tonkin bamboo additional charge over standard limbs is $50.

I believe we're charging $25 additional for the ACX limb treatment - carbon wedge + carbon butt & tip overlays.

I'll make a note to have our website updated accordingly.

John

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Thanks John
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Well John I just bought a riser from Peckerwood, so I guess I am going to have to put in an order for a set of these limbs and give them a try.

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
Gil, you are both a wise and discriminating man. We appreciate your business!

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
John,

I think I need to get on board with this as well. $25 for the upgrade sounds like a bargain. Please drop a note to the guys as well. If its too late, thats okay.

Thanks,
 Casey
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Well John I just got off the phone with Larry. I have a 64", 55# @ 28, Tonkin with carbon set of limbs coming.  

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Thanks John I will making an order for some new limbs.

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Hey Gil,
Once you have the new bow I would love to draw it once! Willing to take the chance?  
ALDO
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
Thanks John I will making an order for some new limbs.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
You bet Aldo.

You took a chance on me with that Adcock! I nearly lost an eye! Ha!

I don't think you have to worry about an A&H though. I will send you a PM when I get them. I may have to sell one of my one piece ACSs to help cover the limbs.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
John:  Just when I thought I would never, ever have to buy another set of limbs for my ACSs (unless they were lost or stolen) you do something like this.  Oh, well, I've been wanting another set of shorter limbs anyway.   :thumbsup:

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Jerry, you never can have too many bows or limbs.  It's a personal rule of mine.   ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©