3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far do you go?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
How far do you go?
« on: November 27, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I was just curious as to how far ya'll drive to get to your hunting area? I was spoiled when I was a kid had a few hundred acres behind my house to rome around in, now I have to drive to hunt and it somtimes takes the fun out of it for me. Some of you guy's probably drive alot farther than I do, so maybe this will make me feel a little better! Jason

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far do you go?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I can walk 50 yards from my backdoor, but sometimes drive 4 hours to get to some awesome public land hunting. When I drive that far i usually hunt for a week, thats whats best about it.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
If I hunt in the afternoon after work, I can drive about 3 miles to a small wood lot I have permission to hunt.  Or I can drive about 5 miles south to a lousy wood lot that my Mom owns!  On week-ends I head for the Adirondack Mts, about a 2-1/2 hour drive.  I used to walk across the street to a nice thick river bottom, but the beavers have it flooded.  I will canoe across it next year.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
When I was growing up we lived on a large, commercial farm.  Hunting was just a matter of walking a short distance to the woods, it was a great place to grow up.

Now I live in town but I'm fortunate to have three Mo Conservation Dept. areas all within about 10 minutes of my house that are well populated with deer and turkey.

Sorry, that probably didn't make you feel any better   :(

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
drive about 35-40mins.
Walk another 15mins
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
walk about 1 mile from my house to get to where i hunt. (not old enogh to drive yet so i have to walk)
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
Walk out the back door (private)or drive 15 minutes to either a 275 Ac (private) or 380 Ac (private) or drive 20-25 minutes to either 58,000 ac (public)or 30-35 minutes to 62,000 acres (public)

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by greyghost:
Walk out the back door 40 Ac(private) or drive 15 minutes to either a 275 Ac (private) or 380 Ac (private) or drive 20-25 minutes to either 58,000 ac (public)or 30-35 minutes to 62,000 acres (public)

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Attaboy, $bowhunter$!!  That is the kind of stuff I often did as a teen hunting fanatic, and it was SO worthwhile.  Congratulations on your initiative and willingness to do what it takes.  I predict good things and a lot of satisfaction (and success) in your hunting career!  Keep after 'em...     :thumbsup:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
yea its very rewarding. i got my 1st buck last year and ended up having to drag a 200 pound deer nearly half a mile bak before my neighbor picked us up on his tractor.one of the most fun but tireing walks home. ( the tractor helped alot, saved me from having to walk up the huge hill we live on)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Usually just a few miles out to where I grew up. Family has a couple hundred acres and endless public land.

This year has been so screwed up I havent even gotten out of the yard.

Eric

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Unit 33 in NM, where I drew out this year, starts about 25 miles away (to the SE corner).  I can't get more than about 90 miles away and stay within its boundaries.

When I lived in Coeur d' Alene, ID, I usually drove about 20 minutes to hunt...and some of the locals laughed at me for going 'way out there' just to hunt.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I go crazy when this topic comes up, because I know so many people " walk" or drive a mile.. And I want to Hunt Sooooooo Badly.
So I'll say... Minimum 2 hours drive plus hour walk.  5 hours to my spot this year and If I hunt deer in nebraska.. another 5 hours....It really does take the enjoyment out of it..

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
hey matty if you want to get more enjoyment in hunting without the drive set up some bird and squirrel feeders in your back yard. youll have a good many targets without the drive

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
Yep - for years I could hunt a bunch of different places all within walking distance or a short 5-10 minute drive from my house.  Now I hunt one area that is 15-30 minutes depending on which end I hunt or my other area is a good hour and a half away to the boat dock and then another 30 minutes to unload the boat and get to the hunting area.  Its an adventure but its also a chore - especially when it gets daylight at 5:45 in the morning.  

I didn't know how good I had it when I could hunt out my door!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
About 50 yards from the kitchen door of our log cabin.If the wife rattles pans I hear her.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Depends on what I'm hunting. Can hunt deer out the back door sometimes.

Elk,whitetail and antelope when I can get a tag is all within a half hour.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Right now, the shortest drive is  min to the bro-in-law's farm but the outlook is bleak there. Too many "nuisance permits" (read as poaching liscence) and coyote's allowed to run unchecked. I have pretty much written them off as good hunting land. 30 min away there is a small farm with quite a few deer and turkeys. I will concentrate on it but I wish I didn't have to drive the 30 min to get there. I also have an invitation open to a hunting club in the Adirondack mtns. That i can go to for deer and bear. I hope to go next year for a bear. They are about 2-1/2 hrs from me.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Before I was married I asked a redhead that question and got a slap for it!  :rolleyes:

I live and work in the Peoples Republic of NYC. So  many times I drive 127 miles, one way to my log home in The Northern Catskills to hunt. This year I did some hunting in Westchester County only 40 miles from home. Felt like a dream......

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Our primary public spot is about 30 minutes away and our emergency backup public spot is more like 45.  Not too bad.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©