3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not going to be easy  (Read 518 times)

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
Not going to be easy
« on: November 27, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
While waiting for my long bow to be built and shipped around March, I bought a wing recurve off an online site.  It came in today, so I bought a dozen aluminum arrows, with feather fletchings, and set my target up this evening.  From 15 yards, I managed to stick an arrow about everywhere except on where I planned on sticking it.  I managed a few good groups, but they were very few, and after finishing the last 20 or so arrows at 20 yards, I put it up for the day.  I think I shot 65-70 times, and my arms were really getting heavy towards the end.  45 pounds will wear a fella down after awhile.

I didn't expect it to easy the first day out, actually wanted to go the traditional route to make hunting more challenging.  Heck I could shoot better groups at 80 yards with my compound than what I was shooting with the recurve at 15 yards.

I hope to shoot at least 50 arrows a day through the winter, spring, and upcoming summer, and be ready for next years bow season.  One thing is for sure, I won't pick up the compound at all, until I bag a deer with traditional equipment at least.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not going to be easy
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
I remember those days, what fun, I used to shoot aluminum arrows until I went pig hunting and stuck one; where with the little piggie ran off thru the  brush and I heard my arrow go snap snap.. I found wood a little better for that purpose.

Shoot groups of three, its a lot easier on the arms and the concentration, besides the rest periods in between the shooting.

When you get a good group take a picture of it with your camera....

Have fun,  my 2 cents  :bigsmyl:  

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
I would suggest that traditional archery is a bit like golf in that if you begin without much thought to form and technique you can commit some really bad habits to muscle memory that will have to be "unlearned" on your way to becoming a good shot. There are a number of good instructional books available buy in my opinion none as comprehensive and easy to follow as Anthony Camera's "Shooting The Stickbow". It is a great read on archery in general and shooting form and technique in particular.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Nothing that is easy, is very fun.It takes lots of practice and years of experience and then you will truly understand.Find someone close to you and have them teach you.Enjoy the journey.  :campfire:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Along the lines of what Jim Wright said, ONE good arrow a day is better than fifty bad habit forming arrows.

Just as with a compound, the arrows must fly straight from the bow. Tuning a recurve, or longbow to do that, is a different animal than your compound.

My suggestion is step closer to the target at first, and shoot fewer arrows before you go pull them.

After two decades of shooting trad bows exclusively, I still sometimes have days when I don`t shoot so well. It is then that I step up to about eight yards, and work on form.

Post any questions you have on the shooters forum. Any and all of the archers there will be more than happy to give advice.

Keep it fun and it WILL come easier.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Give it a chance.  Ya can't walk out of the shop with a tuned bow like with wheels.

As has been said..  move closer to the target and work on consistency in your draw, anchor and release.  You can almost do this with your eyes closed (Zen Archery)

It will take a bit of time but you will get there.  I know it sounds silly but.. Be one with the bow young Gedi........
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
perfect practice..  focus on form so as not to learn BAD HABITS.  When you get tired stop.  Only shoot two or three arrows at a time... You've got plenty of time.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
What you described is the "boot camp" that we all have gone through, or in my case, am still going through. I have only been at it for forty-six years, though, so there is hope...   :D

I second the suggestion of practicing at the "blind bale". Also, when you feel like trying to hit the target, start at fifteen yards and work your way closer. Your hits will get better, and you will finish with a group of sorts. When you get tired, and your muscles feel a little quaky at full draw, quit. That is the hardest thing for me to do, but practicing when tired will reinforce terrible habits.

Congrats on raising the bar for yourself, you will find that you get far more out of what you work the hardest to achieve, even though to an outsider it looks mediocre.

Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
After laying the recurves down in 1975 and coming back December 2009 I started at 7 yards on my basement range.  When I had my form working and groups developed I moved back to 13. I stayed at that distance from February through early April.  In April I went outside and started shooting 15 and then 20 by Turkey season in mid-April  

The process must be mastered in order for the result to be satisfying and secure.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
By the way, there is sooooo much help out there in terms of great DVDs, not too mention live classes. There's no reason to struggle or risk bad habits like we just about had to in the 60's.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
I remember that Day 22 years ago, killed a P&Y Buck in Md. after shootin wheels for about 12 years, I was very bored with the C-pound, my mind was racing, I picked up my Dads Black Widow Recurve and started shootin, I thought Man this *&#$&% !!  2 weeks later I ordered one, shot it for about 12 years, lots of fun, got pretty good with it, killed a few, missed a few, but found what I'd been missin, That being said, I'm strictly a L/B shooter now, but it's all the same, when ya look back, keep at it, it's not that difficult ... Have Fun ...

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe ashton:
perfect practice..  focus on form so as not to learn BAD HABITS.  When you get tired stop.  Only shoot two or three arrows at a time... You've got plenty of time.
Sounds like you have been to Bob Wesley's shooting school. Practice only makes something a habit, good or bad. But only perfect practice makes perfect habit/form. It is better to shoot 20 arrows properly than it is to shoot 200 incorrectly and relying on a far too often romance that it will become "instinctive" due to repetition alone. No matter if a person is aware of their arrow or not, their form needs to be consistent.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
Just keep at it. If you pay attention little "lights' will go off every time you practice letting you know to change or adjust something. Keep those little lights in mind each practice round and you will get better and better, it would be hard not to! Keep it fun and dont expect perfection after 50 arrows.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
95% of archery is fun, the other 5 percent is walking to pull arrows....lol

Good luck and if you find you're not having fun, pick a different activity to involve yourself with.

God bless,Mudd

PS: Welcome to Tradgang and the family!!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Well, today was better than yesterday, though I noticed my arms wore down quite abit quicker.  Guess I hit it abit to hard the first time out yesterday.  Only shot around 8-10 yards, but got the arrows alot closer to where I was looking.  

I can't wait until I get to walk up on a deer that I put an arrow into with a traditional bow.

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
work at it very slowly..........don't shoot a lot...shoot quality

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
I like your attitude James. I can't wait for my first traditional deer either. I'm shooting 55# after a long absence and it is a little tough but I take frequent breaks so as not to develope too many bad habits.....Phil

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Like many others have set, FORM shoot! I blinde bale some just to keep my form. Once you have good form: Start a 5 yrds when you can shoot 3 in groups move to 8 then do 3in groups, move to 10 do 3 in groups, move to 12-15 go for 3-5 in groups, move to 20 3-5 in groups. (most dont shoot over 20-25) That'll take weeks but once you can do that...start over

But make it fun, stick and apple out there and shoot it, or like unopened bottle or can, just have fun with it.
*COMING SOON* Bama Hunter Longbow #53 @ 28"

2 Timothy 1:7- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Ok, alot of people mention having good form, and from shooting compounds, I know that consistancy in form is a prerequisite to accurate shooting, especially longer range.  I've shot the compound so many years, that I really don't give any thought to form, I just shoot it the way I always did.  So, is form the same for traditional bows, and by form, I assume everyone means, feet shoulder width apart, right angle to the target, bow arm straightened, smooth release, head straight, and follow through.  Does this sound right or am I leaving anything out?  I'm sure open to advice to anything that will prevent me from teaching myself the wrong things to do.

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
All the time and effort makes it that more meaningful when it finally happens.  My first trad doe put a bigger smile on my face than most of my good wheelie bucks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©