3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill ( Which grip ?)  (Read 1211 times)

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill ( Which grip ?)
« on: November 27, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
For the HH shooters what style grip is on your HH and why? I am thinking about getting one and want to hear from those who have them. Thanks
USMC 82-86

Online Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill ( Which grip ?)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I have two Hills and have the locator on both. On my first I ordered it with the straight handle, never trying one before, but I was inconsistent in my hand placement and I am certain it had something to do with my initial struggles I had with the bow. I decided afterwards that I had nothing to lose so I got out the tools and put my own locator grip on it, (using one of my other bows with a locator I liked as a template). I immediately had more success with tuning and shooting and it became my favorite bow. There are alot of folks on this site who prefer the straight grip, but for me I'm just better off with a locator.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
My first Hill had a straight grip, but my second has a locator grip. When eventually I buy another, it too will have a locator grip.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
trust me on this - it doesn't matter at all what bow grip *ANYONE* prefers.  what counts is what grip feels best in YOUR bow hand.  try before you buy, else take a chance.  anything else is a waste of time ... trust me on this!  :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Rob's advice is sound... it's what works for you or what you like most (which will probably be the same thing).  I started out with all locators and gradually shifted to all straights.  However, the last bow I built for some reason I made a dish and really liked that.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Thanks, Rob I am just putting the question out to find the pro's and con's. I have shot a dished version that wasn't bad at all, and plenty of locator as that seems what everydody sells.

I was more curious about the straight.
USMC 82-86

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
I have locaters on mine except my takedown Hill. It has a straight grip by necessity and gives me fits. Someday I am going to master that bow.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
I have one with a dished grip and one with a straight grip. I actually shoot both pretty well. I have never shot a Hill with the locator grip so, can't comment on it's feel.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
My preference is the straight grip.  I like them with more of a tear drop shape tapering to the belly side.  I own 5 Hills and several other "Hill style" longbows, but the Hills are my preference.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Dished for me.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by S.C. Hunter:
Thanks, Rob I am just putting the question out to find the pro's and con's. I have shot a dished version that wasn't bad at all, and plenty of locator as that seems what everydody sells.

I have 3 Hills, straight, locator and dished. I much prefer Dished. It just feels right with that kind of bow. Plus, Craig’s dished is really nice. I have a Gordon Moorey Longbow that I got from Leo Markert.  It turned me on to dished.  Whenever I can, I try and get dished.
But Rob is right, what you like is the important thing.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Never shot a locator Hill.  But, the locator version has so little 'locate' in it (very mild compared to others) that I'd guess it wouldn't affect how it shoots to any great degree.  My preference relates more to the look of the bow.  I very much prefer the classic lines of the straight/dished styles.  It may sound quirky, but for these particular bows it just doesn't look right unless straight or dished.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
I like a slight dished grip on my Hill,but have no problem with a straight grip either.Grips can be a personal preference for the shooter.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
The heavier the draw weight in the bow, the more I like a dished grip.

I think the way the grip makes the bottom of the palm contact the bow makes the bow arm stronger.

I much prefer the dished grip when the bow gets over 80#.

My 2 Cents.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »
Thanks everyone I have shot a dished and liked it but that has been a few years ago. I guess my memory was good on the dished grip. I am not sure about getting the straight since I have not shot one that I can recall.
USMC 82-86

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by S.C. Hunter:

let me say this again in another way - it's all subjective stuff and the there is no right or wrong with ANY bow grip.  

the pro's and con's about ANY bow grip is totally in the mind and bow hand of the bow holder.  

YOU NEED TO DECIDE WHICH GRIP FEELS & WORKS BEST FOR YOU BASED ON *YOUR* REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE.  anything else is a crap shoot.

oh, you can't try out some or all of the bow grips you question?  join the club, and that's one reason why there's so much turnover in the bow classifieds.

ALSO, consider that certain grip types will feel completely different for certain brand and model bows ... and since almost no wood handled bows are cnc shaped or molded, there will be differences and inconsistencies from bow to bow.  feelin' lucky?  ;)

'kay?    :deadhorse:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I found I like the dished grip better than straight but like someone said you really need to make this call for youself,, I once  strung a left handed hill backwards and shot it as a righthanded bow for fun and it worked pretty good and the grip felt pretty good too...
"Us vs Them"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Straight grip for me. Seems I'm very much in the minority on this topic.  Works for me!   :D

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
I have three Hill with straight grips and one Longriver with a dished grip, while I prefer how the straight grips feel in my hand, I shoot better scores with the Longriver and the dished grip.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
I've only shot straight grips and like them very much.

When I order my new bow, it'll be a straight grip also. That way, when I finally shoot a different grip, should I like it more, I can turn down the straight grips to match. I'VE GOT IT ALL PLANNED OUT!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©