3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hard To Put Into Words...  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Hard To Put Into Words...
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
As dawn broke this morning I was in a ladder stand I'd set up for Dad just a short distance from my parents house.

It's rifle season here, so by Mom and Dads house is one of only two places I feel "safe" hunting.  Some here know my backround with bowhunting during gun season. Not good      :scared:     As a matter of fact, last fall was the very first time I'd gone out during gun season since 2003.

Before it was even light enough to see, I could hear deer in the distance...sounding like they were coming closer...but also some running.  So I thought perhaps a buck was around.

Then finally, when it was barely light enough to see...behind me, about 50 yds. away I saw two does trot by and disappear to the south of me. I could hear other deer, but never did see them.

About 15 minutes or so later, just after a text to Terry Receveur...I heard something behind me again, but this time over my right shoulder.

I turned and saw a doe, about 40 yds. away, but walking closer. Then another and another....

There were at least 4, and more were coming as the lead doe was walking by at about 25-30yds.

Now normally, I wouldn't think twice about shooting this doe, but just as she was right where I could have shot her....I looked back and saw a buck. Not a big one, but it was a buck!

For the last four years, I've only shot does, passing up too many small bucks to remember....waiting for the "big guys".

Heck I've even shot does right out from in front of bucks that were hot on their trail. It's been a long time since I even considered shooting a buck this size.

But as soon as I saw him, for whatever reason, I just "knew"...today it was time to kill a buck.

The lead doe looked right at me, I thought for a minute the jig was up. But holding as still as humanly possible, I passed her test after about 30 seconds.

I really don't know haw many does and fawns there was....probably 6-7. The buck was hanging back about 20yds. behind the last doe, so as she passed my last opportunity to shoot her, I hoped I hadn't made a mistake holding out for this buck. But he was following the exact way these does had come in....oh boy!

This was not going to be what has come to be my average shot of about 5-15yds....this was a bit of a "poke"...

I normally don't like to stop deer if they're real close, but he wasn't. So as he worked his way thru the brial thicket and into the only spot I could shoot, I mouth grunted...nothing, then a little louder as he took a couple more steps and quartered slightly away...still nothing...

Then I just about yelled at him as I started to draw ...he locked up and the arrow was gone...

Like I said earlier, my shots are usually very close....but this one was different....I actually remember seeing it arch, seemingly in slow motion...and as best as I could tell dissappeared right where I was looking!

He turned away and crashed up the hill away from me heading for an old overgrown orchard...after about 30yds he was swallowed up by the brush and it sounded like he stopped just after going out of sight.

I stood as still as possible and just listened....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hard To Put Into Words...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Great experience. Congratulations
USMC 82-86

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Awesome! Thank you for texting me the picture and sharing the story with me...The guys on "TG" are gonna love it

Love ya brother,

Peter

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Curt, you are a master story teller. Thank you very much for sharing it with us. I know the outcome, but can't wait for the rest of the story.

It takes a lot of courage for you to be out bowhunting during gun season. My hat is off to you my friend.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Awesome.  Hope you have pics.  

Then again I think you will.

Congratulations Curt!   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
This is going to be a good one!!   :bigsmyl:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
....After about 5-10 seconds of silence....I heard what sounded like crashing....Or at least that's what I hoped I'd heard...But since I couldn't see anything...well.... you know how, even though everything looks and sounds like everything was perfect...when you don't actually see an animal go down, there's always some doubt....

But I was almost 100% positve he was down, just out of sight up the hill from me in the old orchard...

Then it hit me....it was 7 years to the day that I'd had that reckless hunters bullet rip though my leg....and it hit me hard, for whatever reason, very hard...I'll leave it at that...

This would also be the first deer I'd ever killed while bowhunting during our rifle season.

Dad was the first I called...then I called home. I wanted Cade to track this one. It had been 4 yrs. since he had the opportunity to track one of my deer(usually I'm not so close to home).

Sunrise and where I shot...
•    

Mom and Dads place...
•    

After a half hour or so, I got down. I was only going to check the arrow, then get out and get Cade and return with him and Dad.  The arrow had zipped tight thru and was stuck in the ground....It looked real good...
•    

Dads stand...
•    

It wasn't more than a half hour and we hit the trail. Cade leading the way, me as camera man taking videos and pix, and dad bringing up the rear holding my bow and taking it all in...
•    
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Dang it Curt I was wanting to go to bed so I can get up early tomorrow. You are making it difficult.   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Sounds as if you have satisfied an innate desire.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Fair-dinkum, Curt! I've learned something new, and I'm glad you're here to tell the story! Well-done on the buck, too.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
WOW! your a Lamb somwhere along the line. Yeah, glad your here to tell this one! to get shot like that - and keep hunting period, thats scary stuff.

Patiently waiting for the rest --

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Bravery has it`s benefits.  :campfire:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay, photobucket doesn't seem to want to let me copy my vids, so to upload to you tube.  I have another I'll upload now...

Here's the first of two.  This was not an easy track job, briars, weeds, dirt...hardly any leaves to "display" the blood...

Curt } >>--->   

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Come on Curt, I can't wait to hear and see this one!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
TAP TAP TAP TAP

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Photobucket has been giving me fits for the last couple of days.     :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
:coffee:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
This is a special one!!  Can't wait to hear the rest.  Curt, very happy for you and your family. Congrats Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
I think this is great that you're documenting all this on tape for the family and the future. Good job buddy! BW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©