3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tite Platinum--response results pg. 6  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Mike Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch Tite Platinum--response results pg. 6
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
I have also had bad results with aluminum using Platinum. I never had a problem with the old stuff.

Mike Lee

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve Clandinin:
I have only used Platinum since it came out on aluminums with and without wraps .Iclean every shaft with acetone before gluing and have had zero problems.works for me.
I do the same thing with my aluminum arrows with the same results. No problems.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Use the platinum all the time on my carbons with wraps and feathers have had no troubles, using it with vanes for my girls or friends that shoot blazers and the likes, no good, back to using goat tuff for anything with vanes. Todd

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
I used platinum on my beman mfx, scuffed the shaft and wiped it down with alcohol, feathers too. Feathers fell off after about ten shots. Hardly any residue on the shaft.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Buddy Paine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I really like Loc Tite control gel, available at any hardware store and does the job well. Can fletch an arrow in minutes using it.

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Platinum on all my wraps with no problems.

Offline SpencerL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
I was having a hard time the platinum on my carbon arrows, So i've gone over the the AAE Max Bond and haven't had an issue yet.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
I agree with Ishi, I scuffed and wiped my Beman MFX's and had similar failures. Not knowing what else to try, I have been using Zap-a-Gap. Works great, and sets up quicker, allowing me to remove the clamp quicker.

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
I found some of the old fletch tite at a local archery shop,they hate the platinum for aluminums,the lady there that does all the fletching had a box of it stashed & was kind enough to sell me a tube,dont know what im gonna do when i run out of it,ive had to many feathers fall off using the platinum & (i also clean mine & scuff them)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Odd, like we're talking about two different products here.  Half the people, including me, have had no problems with Platinum.  I shoot about 100 arrows every morning, both carbon and aluminum.  Really take no special pains when fletching them.  Have to pull the occasional arrow through the target when it finds a weak spot.  Have had no fletches fall off with Platinum - none.

Others, who I believe are also telling it like it is, can't get the stuff to stick.  Wonder what's going on?

Okay, this is the way I fletch arrows: I put the feather in the clamp, put a line of glue all the way down the quill, and then press it onto the shaft, which is in the fletching jig.  Let it sit 15 minutes, and then rotate to the next feather.  I usually fletch in my kitchen where the temperature is about 65 - 80 degrees, depending on the time of year.  I feel stupid saying this, since this is probably how everyone else fletches arrows too, right?  But there must be some difference somewhere.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
McDave -

I have had the platinum stuff fail repeatedly.

I also fletch indoors in a temp range of 70 to 75 degrees.

I run a line of glue down the length of the quill and let each feather set for a minimum of 1 hour.

When all 3 feathers are on the shaft I then put a small drop of glue at each end of each feather to make sure they bond well.

I have some arrows that I literally fletched almost 40 years ago and I am still shooting them.

I used the old formula Bohning adhesive for those arrows.

The new Bohning Platinum is no good for me.

I have switched to Saunders NPV and the problems went away.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 05:20:00 AM »
The Platinum glue is worthless IMHO.  I recently got back into shooting my longbows and the quickest set of arrows I could make was aluminum 2016's.  Cleaning the new shafts with alcohol and then fletching with Platinum on a Bitz jig I am losing at least one feather every night shooting each arrow only 3 times while working on my form.  They seem to separate from the back of the feather first.  Try sliding an exacto knife under the glued tip of a Platinum fletched alum. shaft and the feather just pops right off, no resistance.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Andrew Downs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
I use Platinum fletchtite on both aluminum and carbon arrows.
I've never cleaned the shafts with alcohol.
I just glue them so it beads on the sides slightly, wait for it to dry and put a dab of thickset superglue at the beginning and end of the feather.

Have had very few problems - including arrows that go under dirt, pass through targets (and the occasoinal beast) - don't know why some people seem to have grief with it and others seem fine.    :dunno:

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Could it be that there was a bad batch of platinum that came from the factory???
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I just got off the phone with the Bohning company, asking them about the new platinum fletch tite.

They recommend scrubbing the shaft with a light abrasive, then wash with warm water and let air dry.  Said that there SHOULD NOT be any problem with the platinum bonding to an aluminum shaft.

And, if you are interested, they do have a FEW 1/2 pint cans of the OLD fletch tite for sale ($9.29 ea.).  I would have snatched them up but I may have problems getting them shipped overseas due to their being labeled as hazardous material. (You would also have to buy the dispenser bottle.)  If you are looking for the old fletch tite, this may be your last opportunity.  Also, they said the shelf life of the cans is around 2 years??

Call (231)229-4247 and ask for Tonya.

I think I'll get a small tube of the platinum, and one of the Saunders NPV and see which one works best for me.

If all else fails I'll send my shafts to McDave in CA for fletching.  
  :)
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline klight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I had several fletches come off of my 3rivers trad only shafts using platinum. I started scuffing them with scotch brite and the fletches stuck fine after that. Since then I have switched to Goat Tuff on wraps I get from Onestringer and tghis works great. 15 seconds a fletch and no problems yet.
60" Thunderstick MOAB  55#'s @ 28"
64" Mohawk Classic     64#'s @ 28"
62" Mohawk Sparrowhawk 55#'s @ 28"

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Platinum fails with my alum. shafts like many others have said; feathers and nocks just fall off.  Slight abrasive and rubbing alcohol.  Went back to Original for nocks and tape for feathers and no problems.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Funny. I thought it was something I was doing but yes it does not work too well on aluminum. I feel better now. I don't see the old stuff around any more either. Any suggestions?

sam  :knothead:    :knothead:

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
i like gorilla super glue, I have the platinum and doesnt seem to work very good on my carbons
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
I have had problems with the platinum myself even preping the shafts. I like Goat Tuff or the original Fletch Tite. Thats just my expierance it could have been operater error but I can use Goat Tuff with out even preping the shafts with no proplems.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©