3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tite Platinum--response results pg. 6  (Read 1791 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch Tite Platinum--response results pg. 6
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Sorry edit-no problems

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
I have had problems with Platinum glue also.  I could not get plastic vanes to stick to carbon.  I thought it would work with my feathers and wraps but they came off too.  I contacted Bohning and they sent me a new tube but I had the same problem.  I even followed the directions that they gave me.  I even tried a different jig with no luck.  I started using superglue and have had no problems.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
My first problem occured after I got my aluminum arrows wet in a light rain at a 3-D shoot. The feathers flew off at release or when they hit the target.

Now I pre-clean the shafts with denatured alcohol and let each feather sit in the clamp for at least 5 hours. It takes forever to fletch a batch but I hardly ever lose a feather, still happens but not very often.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline BigCnyn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I wipe with acetone, Both Aluminum and Carbon
Then a strip on the feather,Or I am shooting QuikSpins right now,, 5-10 minutes turn the shaft..

Not a bit of trouble..
????? Things that make you GO HUUMMMMMMM!!!!!

Offline hvac tech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
the main question is why did bohning make the platinum in the first place . the old fletch was a great product .i think they bohning should make both .the new and improved and old fletch tite for all the guys that want it .in all the reading here it seems around half the guys want the old and the rest like the new .

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
I'm with you.  If it ain't broke......apparently it is now, at least half the time.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
I went to the outdoor range today as I do at least once a week,

I had 3 arrows that the feathers just fell off of after one shot with each arrow.

This is aggravating as I recently fletched 4 to 5 arrows of several different spines to check out 3 new bows.

Damned platinum is costing me bunch of time, aggravation and money as I now have to rebuild a bunch of arrows using Saunders NPV.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
I was thinking about these posts about Platinum when I was stump shooting the other day, and my arrow happened to hit a branch at an angle, which totally destroyed the arrow:

You will note that even though the shaft fractured and broke off, and the feather was skinned off the shaft, the quill remains tightly bonded to whatever shaft is left.

This was fletched in my usual way, described above.  I am really puzzled why I and a few others use this product with no problems, while others can't seem to get it to stick.  I have had similar good results with Gold Tip trads and Easton aluminum shafts.

The only additions I would have to my previous post about how I fletch are that I put a drop of glue on the each end of the feather, as do most people.  I don't do any particular shaft preparation; just use them as they come out of the box.  I do press the fletch down as hard as I can against the shaft without dislodging it for about 5-10 seconds.  Then I let it sit for about 15 minutes before rotating to the next position.

I would like to solve this mystery, but don't know if we'll be able to figure out why mine stick and other's don't.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bamacrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Mixed results for me.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Could humidity (in the fletching phase) be a factor?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
It's generally pretty dry here in Sacramento.  It's really dry in the summer, and during our rainy season, in the winter, it's still pretty dry inside my kitchen, as the central HVAC tends to dry out the air.  Not Las Vegas dry, but a lot dryer than most places in the Southeast.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Great results on Beman Bowhunter carbons.

Why don't we establish a time line?

It is pointless to say one works, one does not, without at least establishing when you bought the Platinum FT. That way we can see when the failures started and when (if) they ended.

I got mine last fall, 2009.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
I'm on about my fifth tube since I started using it.  Bought all of them from 3-Rivers over the last 1-2 years, purchases spread out more or less evenly over that period.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
it's possible the formula change over (to platinum) was epa and/or economics driven, but i'm guessing????  

these dayze, my only use of fletching glue (mostly duco, but also platinum) is to spot the taped on feathers fore and aft.  

i use bohning fletch tape on both carbons (no finish or cap wrap) and woodies (polyu gloss finish).  really, once ya know how to use the tape, it's too fast and durable a way to super bond feathers (or vanes) to any shaft.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Man.....WHAT AN AGGRAVATING THREAD!  :banghead:    Im going to be trying carbon for the first time in a bit here,  and want to go with a glue I can feel confident in.  :banghead:    Like someone else stated,  seems like people are talking about 2 different products with the platinum!   :banghead:   50/50!  Not worth the gamble IMO!    :dunno:  
Gotta find something to go with....need to start looking around more I guess.

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
I'm not sure if humidity is the problem in my negative experiences with platinum.

I am in Tucson, AZ where the humidity is generally low and I fletch indoors with refrigerated air on all the time.

Maybe the quality of the feathers???

I use Trueflights all the time.

All platinum was purchased this year.

Who knows???

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bkyrdshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
I would have to say I fletch my carbons just like McDave. I do prep the shaft with rubbing alcohol. When I apply the Fletch-Tite platinum I make a fairly thick bead from one end of fletch to the other. Other than that exactly the same and have not had a problem with this adhesive on carbons. I don't use aluminum, I'm not sure how it works on metal but I would try it with no hesitations.
"Energy and Persistence Conquer All Things"   Benjamin Franklin

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
I too have had feather fletch pop loose from bare carbons when using Platinum. After really scuffing them hard with a fiber pad, no failures. I scuff, wipe and fletch.

My good arrows all get Bohning Fletch-Lac crown dips. When fletched with Platinum, the feathers are impossible to get loose...they bond into the paint.

So, has anyone tried the simple approach of using Goat-Tuff, Beyond Bond or other cyano-type adhesives for feathers? I wonder about the long term durability.....

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
All of my arrows get Fletch Lac crown dips and have for many years.

The feathers are falling off when using platinum.

The feathers are not falling off when using Saunders NPV.

I have some arrows I fletched almost 40 years ago that I still shoot and they were fletched using the old Bohning white tube adhesive.

It defies explanation and Bohning has been somewhat reluctant to believe there may be something wrong with their new stuff.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
"All of my arrows get Fletch Lac crown dips and have for many years."

"The feathers are falling off when using platinum."

THAT really messes with my head. I've got arrows fletched using Plat, and I can't get them loose without cutting or peeling thru the paint. I guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing. Platinum's been out for what....5 years? I've had my arrows in extreme conditions from southern Utah all the way to central Alaska and nary a loose feather.

Stuff like this...I should have gone into forensics!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©