3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tite Platinum--response results pg. 6  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Fletch Tite Platinum--response results pg. 6
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
on the other side of the what-to-use-for-sticking-feathers-on-shafts coin, never ever had a problem with fletching tape ... feathers will NOT come off easily.  i will never use glue again ... well, 'cept for the feather dots fore and aft.  i've turned on at least 6 guys to fletching with tape and all have switched to tape over glue.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline shedhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
i use platinum for all my fletching needs.  I shoot 4-4" and I only leave it on for 30 seconds then remove and rotate.  I used to leave them on the jig for 10 min.  Found I didn't have too.  Love the product!  never had a problem.  ron

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Will not use anything but fletch tite platinum.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
I too have used the platinum on aluminum and some carbon without any problems.  I wait at least 15 minutes before glueing the next feather.  Hey Rob, I don't like the tape because in the summer my feathers move on the shaft. Go figure....
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2010, 06:16:00 AM »
One thing about tape I don't like:

If the feather base is not ground at a perfect 90 angle (perpendicular) to the feather, tape will allow the fletch to lay at an angle on the shaft. Tough to describe. You can wind up with perfectly spaced fletch, but one of them appears to lay at an odd angle to the shaft. This isn't a problem if your feather bases are all perfectly ground.

Glue has the ability to stiffen and set the feather at the angle it is applied, provided you leave the clamp on with enough time for setting to occur. Platinum FT does this job well for me.

I've used the tape successfully, and I've used glue(s) for decades. For my experiences I've had greater dependability and performance from a good glue like Bohning products.

Offline Mike Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I could not get the platinum to work on aluminum but it did work on carbons. I shoot aluminum all the time though.

Mike Lee

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Wow....never imagined my question would have drawn this much response.  Really glad I asked now.  I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'll be making up a few arrows before the end of the year, and I'll go ahead and use the Platinum.  If I remember, I'll post back with my experience.  I'll be making some aluminums with a Bohning crown dip.  I'm also considering sealing some wood shafts with Bohning so I can try it there (haven't ever used Bohning for wood--used GL and poly with Duco before).

After Barge and now fletch tite, I wonder how long it will be before Duco gets a "new and improved" look?

Thanks

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
i quit using fletch tite along time ago just for this reason, super glue type stuff is all i use anymore..very few problems..and its usually my falt, for rushing through it.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I have used Goat Tuff on wraps with no problems for years, BUT have switched to Saunders NPV and really like it better.. I let each feather sit for about 8 minutes before rotating which wasn't necessary with the GT but I like the finished results better with NPV. It's all I  use now. I do wipe the wrap with acetone before fletching. Never had a feather come loose with either method though..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Online Timbuck2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
I never had any problems but I clean my aluminum shafts with comet cleanser and this may help some.

I scrub the aluminum shaft with comet and rinse with water.

While rinsing I look for the water to bead on the shaft and will clean the shaft again if beads appear. I want the water to run off the shaft smooth without the beads and when this happens I dry the shafts and start fletching.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Since I ran out of the old fletch tite I've tried el cheapo super glue, works alright, but too watery.  I tried gorilla glue superglue, a bit thicker and seems to bond well enough.  

I have some platinum on the way, and I'm curious how it will work for me.  (Wonder which side of the 50% I'm in?)  If the determining factor for a good bond is the lack of humidity, then it won't work over here.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Had no problems with fletch tight platinum on carbon with feathers. Can't say the same with vanes.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I've used Platinum for about 5 years on CE and GT carbons.  I always wash with denatured alcohol prior to fletching and leave it in the clamp 10 minutes or so. Never any problems sticking to the shaft. In fact when I wanted to remove some old fletching in order to refletch, I had to cut the fletch off with a sharp knife and use steel wool to clean the shaft before re-fletching.  Even then I had a tough time getting every trace of glue off.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline snuffysmith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
I quit using it and went to goat tuff,really like it better.

Offline SOLDIERII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
works for me!
SoldierII

Offline nevada cody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
very important to have a good fit with fletching jig the quill should sit perfect to shaft   lightly scrub shafts and  clean them . carbons and alloys can be lightly scrubbed then cleaned with isopropyl alcohol do not use acetone on carbons very bad most arrow manufactures  warn against this >
and also be carful what paper you using to clean and dry shafts with some or many papers contain oils perfume chemicals that do not go well with platinum the cheaper non colored paper the better

and if you want rock solid bonding run a line or 2 of platinum up and down were feather goes and smear it around shaft let dry and then fletch will never ever fall off  i have gone to loc tite  super glue the gel because i sold 6 of my bitzenburgers and only have one left and can not be bothered waiting any more the gel has worked great for me and i can fletch an arrow in couple minutes  cheers Cody
ps sorry for bad spelling i live in australia but originaly from sweden

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
The old fletch tite worked best for me.

I'm not fond of the new platinum.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
In the old days when I fletched over aluminum I would coat the shaft where the feather went with Fletch-lac clear and then fletch over that with fletch-tite.  Some of those old arrows I have are 35 years old and still going.

I just did some flu-flus with Fletch-tite platinum over laquer caps and so far no problems.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Just yeasterday ifletched my first dozen alums. It was the first time I have used it. Didn't do any specail cleaning . Hope they hold together.
  Larry

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
I have used Fletch-tite Platinum for a few years now. I also use the comet cleaner method on my aluminums .  I also wipe the shafts down with Fletch-lac thinner before fletching. When I fletch vanes for my son I also wipe down the edge of the vane before putting on glue. Maybe all this is over kill but I have no trouble keeping my feathers and vanes on the shafts.
I also wonder about the "bad batch" theory. There may be more truth to it than we are lead to belive.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©