3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch Tite Platinum--response results pg. 6  (Read 1787 times)

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch Tite Platinum--response results pg. 6
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Just got some fletch tite platinum and made a few arrows.  

Scrubbed the shafts with steel wool, wiped them down with alcohol and fletched them up.
So far, so good.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Fletch-tite Platinum has worked so far for me with feathers on bare aluminum and with wraps.

I don't think I saw anyone mentioning if they use any type of water proofing material on their feathers.  I know that using a silicone spray for me will release the feathers in quick order.  I could have sprayed too much on but someone had recommended NAPA silicone spray in another thread some time back and that did not work well for me.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
OK...  as of 9:00 AM this morning this is how the replys looked as to good or bad and some other info:

There were 45 replys as of time...

22/45 were satisfied with Plarinum.  This broke down to 12 carbon users and 14 alu. users.  Due to multi shaft users the numbers look out of "wack"

23/45 were displeased with Platinum.  This broke down to 6 carbon users and 13 alu users.

10/45 stated they used some type of surface prep.  Of those 6 used alcohol and 3 used acetone.  Of all these 6 were listed in the satisfied group and four were listed in the displeased group.

There were additional comments regarding roughing surface and allwoing clamp time while fletching.

This is just a listing of information for your consideration and is no way a scientific evaluation.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Huntschool -

Good summary.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
The other day I mmmmissed my backyard target and lost an aluminum arrow under the rapidly melting snow. After 24 hours the ground was bare enough to locate it. One of the feathers was barely hanging on, the other two seemed OK but matted.

Before I began preping with Acetone I could have expected all three feathers to fall off if they got wet. I guess this is a victory of sorts.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Good thread. Thanks for the summary.

I just finished using my last "hoarded" tube of fletchtite.  Don't like the 50% thoughts of crown dipping and cresting to have the feathers fall off.    And I'm a big fan of acetone cleaning.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2011, 01:35:00 AM »
I went ahead and ordered several tubes of platinum a few months ago after reading this thread and wondering why it seems to work well for some, but not for others.  

I'm using it with true flight feathers on aluminum shafts for myself, and my two sons and have not had a failure yet.  Shafts are buffed with steel wool, then cleaned with alcohol and the fletchings are adhering well.  :thumbsup:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
I have had mixed results with this stuff, I use a dab of gorrila glue super glue and fletching tape now. I clean my shafts with alcohol and use a little sand paper, unless I use wraps than I just use the tape and a dap of glue on front and back of feather
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
I use it along with wraps and have never had a feather or vane come off.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2011, 06:09:00 AM »
I wipe my shafts with alcohol and I wipe my feathers after I put it in the clamp. I have never had a problem out of platinum on carbon or aluminum.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
I use it along with wraps and have never had a feather or vane come off.
:thumbsup:  Same here.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cecil:
I wipe my shafts with alcohol and I wipe my feathers after I put it in the clamp. I have never had a problem out of platinum on carbon or aluminum.
I do the same thing. I did it with the "old" glue and now with the newer Platiunum. Never had any problems.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I have had mixed results with the new platinum. I don't really like it. The original fletch tite seemed to go on better and hold better. I only shoot wood amd do use different finishes. Never had a problem with any of them with the original formula, but the platinum leaves me guessing. I am switching to Duco for everything although I will say the Saunders works well also.
Also I used to buy the original fletchtite for $2-$3 a tube and the platinum is $5 a tube where Duco is still $3.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
For the first time in all of the years I have been using Bohning products this is the first time I have had a problem with the new platinum fletch-tite glue. It seems to form a superficial layer of glue between the aluminum shaft and fletching and the feather will easily separate from the shaft.  I don't understand what is happening with the Bohning glue and why they quit manufacturing the old fletch-tite glue in favor of this new glue. The old glue worked much better. Will Duco work as well on aluminum shafting or is their something special that must be done to the shaft before applying the Duco cement?

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
I have mixed results...for me, the feathers have a tendency to fall off in cold weather. Anyone else notice this?

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
I've gone through about 5 tubes of Platinum ove the past few years,without a single problem.Some may have had problems,but maybe they didn't clean or prep their shafts?I haven't had a single problem with using it.

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
John, like you I have used the Bohning glue for years without any problems, but recently it has become such a problem that I am lookiing for alternative glues to do the job. As I stated in my earlier post, the glue seems create a superficial layer between the shaft and the fletching. It sort of looks like paint does when it bubbles up and starts to crack and fall off. I clean my shafts thoroughly before applying the glue, but with this batch it doesn't seem to matter and the feathers will come off when I shoot the finished arrows.

Offline Roconman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Another unhappy Platinumn user here,I shoot aluminums and and prep with fine sand paper and then Acetone,The shafts are squeeky clean and left in the jig untill completely cured, the fletching will pop off with in a few shots.It looks to me like this stuff is too brittle.I found some Saunders NPV,no more problems. The old Fletchtite was bullet proof, why change it?

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
I use fletch tape now, but still use Platinum on aluminum without issue. Works great.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
I'm still using Platinum to fletch my Gateway feathers to my Easton aluminum arrows and I'm having absolutely "no" problems with this fletching glue. My feathers don't fall off in hot or cold weather after shooting them into my bag target.

One arrow went underneath the target and buried itself under some San Augustine grass. I found it and the feathers were still tightly attached.

I don't know why some of you are having problems with this glue, but after I fletch my arrows, I put a small dab of glue right on top of the front  of the feather and at the end of the feather. I let it dry overnight and the feathers stay attached.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©