3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shaft orientation when spine testing?  (Read 360 times)

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Shaft orientation when spine testing?
« on: May 30, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
When spine testing wood shafts, how should the grain be aligned?  The spine readout varies significantly depending on the orientation of the shaft, but I'm not sure which is the proper reading to use.  Thanks for any help.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shaft orientation when spine testing?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
The rule has always been to have the LINES of the grain up during testing.

Also happens to be the stiffest spot on the arrow...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
As Jeff mentioned, you want the edge grain up for testing because this is the side that goes against the bow's window when shooting.

First, orient the flat grain run offs so that they run over your shelf/hand and then place the edge grain against the bow. As was mentioned, side against the bow is the proper side to spine. Having your shaft as straight as possible and using well seasoned shafts helps to elimate some of those deflection differences you're seeing. A little sanding of the stiffer sides can help even up the deflection if you have the weight to spare.

For very straight grained shafts that don't have flat grain run offs to any large degree you can can rotate your shaft on your tester to locate the stiff side. But as I mentioned, shaft has to be very straight for this procedure. Edge grain of a shaft isn't always the stronger side of a shaft. About half the time it falls on the flat grain. Or that's been my experience. When this happens make sure to orient this side to the hand/shelf.

ART B

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
See making a Simple Arrow on my site. Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©