3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting experience w/ light, fast arrows  (Read 381 times)

Offline IndianCreek

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting experience w/ light, fast arrows
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
I recently purchased a new Morrison Shawnee recurve (48lbs @ my 27" draw w/ carbon foam limbs). Well just got around to fine tuning my arrows this weekend and it seems to really like 600 spine traditional only arrows cut to 29"
with a 125 gr stinger broadhead. This setup flys better, faster, flatter than anything I have ever used but Im concerned that the arrow broadhead combo is to light for hunting at only 328 grains( 7GPI @ 29" + 125gr. bh). Would really appreciate your thoughts,opinions and experiences with such light arrows on game.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Hunting experience w/ light, fast arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
I'd be worried about the effect on the bow of shooting an arrow that's 7 grains per pound of draw weight.  Morrison's are tough bows, but that's almost like dry firing the bow.  I'm sure you could find a heavier spine, weight, point weight combination to get you in the 8-10 grains per pound of bow weight range. My guess is you could easily add another 100 or more grains to your set up and still get excellent arrow flight. I don't shoot anywhere near that light, but I've found that slower, heavier arrows are more stable than extremely light, fast arrows, and more forgiving of shooting errors to boot.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Weight tubes?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline IndianCreek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Makes me nervous about hurting the bow also. It is still quite and smooth with the light setup but its so far from the norm that Im concerned. Trajectory is nice. I bought a trad only arrow test kit and point test kit from 3 rivers. Seems odd
but my bow liked the extremes. A 300 spine with 250 grains upfront shot good as did the 600 mentioned earlier. The middle arrows never seemed to get close to the 300 and 600 from a flight perspective. Ill play with tubes and points.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
What Orion said ... Seriously,, Too Light ...

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
I would definitely go with 50 or even better 100 grain brass inserts.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
I would definitely go with 50 or even better 100 grain brass inserts.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
yikes!  at around 7gpp that's too light an arrow for that weight bow, something's gonna give and it won't be a pretty sight.  you wanna up the arrow weight to at least 8gpp, which in yer case means at least a 390-400 grain total weight arra.  up to a point (pun not intended!) heavier will offer some good advantages in penetration (assuming the head is 'sharp'), smoother release, quieter.  most bowyers won't warranty a bow shot at less than 8gpp.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Its hard to add weight to a completed shaft without tubes. If you add weight up front your spine changes and now you new arrows are not correct. Tubes have downfalls; as most gadgets do, but they work without buying new shafts. Try them out for a few bucks before buying all new shafts.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Take Stu's calculator and put the arrow in that is shooting great.  Then switch shafts to a stiffer spine and adjust the point and insert until you get the same spine number.  It'll fly great.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
step back to old school and how we did it before "traditional" carbons,,,,,, get a roll of weed wacker line and pull the nock off the back of the arrow and feed 1 to 4 weedwacker lines inside until it hits the insert up front and then cut them so about a 1/4" is sticking out the back and then push the string nock back in and weedwacker line doesnt not effect spine (or never did for my bareshafting)  you can put 1 to 4 or 5 until you get the weight right,,, where your worried about spine this might work for you in a pinch..  

I had 2 morrison dakotas and they where loud with 10gr an inch for me (until I got FF strings with padded loops) not sure how loud your bow is but I know it will be quiter with a heavy arrow and you won't split a limb up the middle and void your warranty.

for hunting the real thing  I'll opt for quietness over speed all day long but try to find the perfect mixture and I use heavy inserts and heavy points too.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
I've had great luck with 424 grain Beman MFX Classics out of 46# bow at my 26" draw this year (28" arrows). However, I'm going to tinker around and get the arrow weight to around 500 grains after season and see what that sounds and shoots like.

To do this I'm going to try to go to Beman MFX 500s instead of my 600s. I'll reduce the 75 grain brass insert to 50, and I'll use a 150 grain broadhead instead of 100.  According to Stu's Calculator this will work very well -- a much better match, according to "Stu" than what I'm having great luck with this year.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
3-4" parabolics, alum insert and nock weighs 30 grains. Bringing your weight up to 7.5 grains per pound. 368 grains. 384= 8gpp your close.
keep shootin, I know your havin fun!!  :archer:    :archer2:
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Most bowyers recommend 8-10 grains per lb. Your about 50 grains shy of that. I would like to see you at 400 grains minimum but its all up to you.

Some bowyers won't warranty a bow if the arrow weight is too light. Personally, I'd call Morrison up and get his input, he may feel your Ok with your present setup.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Yea, I'm thinking that's too light also but not so much in concern for the bow as concern for penetration performance on a deer.  Not sure how that would perform if you hit something like a leg bone or shoulder blade.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline IndianCreek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Thank you everyone. I rigged my old reloading scale to weigh arrows and as TNStickn pointed out I was heavier with feathers and inserts than I had estimated.  I have since bumped my total weight up to 430 grains(8.9 GPP) and still shooting good so I think Ill stick with that for now. Hopefully I can test it out on a hog this coming week. Thanks again for all the ideas!

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
9-10 grains per # of draw wt! Both you & your bow will perform well !

ElkNut1

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by IndianCreek:
Thank you everyone. I rigged my old reloading scale to weigh arrows and as TNStickn pointed out I was heavier with feathers and inserts than I had estimated.  I have since bumped my total weight up to 430 grains(8.9 GPP) and still shooting good so I think Ill stick with that for now. Hopefully I can test it out on a hog this coming week. Thanks again for all the ideas!
there ya go - lookin' good!    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©