3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joined by an unexpected hunter  (Read 433 times)

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Joined by an unexpected hunter
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Yesterday was the last day of archery here. Due to abnormal southern winds I had to sit my "robin" stand. (Very dense area, in early fall the robins would roost here by the thousands). I nestled in, and soon after first light a small hawk silently swooped into the branches right in front of me...about ten feet. It was awesome to watch him, he did the same as I did, fluffed himself up and nestled in. He was waiting, just like me in the very same tree. Coolest thing I ever saw. A few minutes later, hoards of chickadees and juncos filtered through the area. The very shooting lane that I was hunting over was his ambush spot also. He dusted off four juncos that morning, diving down and nailing them in the deer trail as they filtered through. Then brought them up to chow down on the same branch. After about an hour he took off to do what hawks do. When I finally climbed down, deerless not only for the day...but for the season, I wondered how my own hunting would change if I needed to hunt for survival much like brother hawk. He did a helluva lot better than I!!! Time to rethink my strategies, do I give up comfort levels in order to raise my chances? Naw! I'm happy. Nice to have that option isn't it?
David M. Conroy

Offline Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Joined by an unexpected hunter
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Very cool. I would have to say that is one of the coolest things about doing what we do. It's part of the experience we get to enjoy and we are seeing nature first hand doing what they need to do to survive. I also have to agree with your assessment of the situation.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline E.AllenIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Great story...it is amazing what you see when you spend time in a tree stand

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Cool.....I have seen hawks grab tree rats with great skill....all fun to watch!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
I remember when my then twelve yr old son had a Great Horned owl, that had a perch beside his treestand near our house. The owl learned that we were not a threat to him, and would tolerate us getting into the tree stand(s) a mere twenty feet from him.

One evening, there was a Fox squirrel that was bouncing around underneath us. The owl watched it for a while, and then attacked. The squirrel put up quite a fight, but eventually succumbed.

The owl started tearing chunks from the squirrel.

The owl eventually flew back to his perch, after eating his fill.

My son remembers every detail of that evening.
At dark and we were climbing down, i heard him whisper "I`m glad owls ain`t bigger".

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Nice story.  I'm in the same boat as far as freezer success, but I wouldn't trade a minute of my season to sit on the couch.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
My brothers a professional photographer and is always looking for new subject matter. I told him to get his butt in the woods and he'll get plenty of pictures....Phil

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Very cool! That would be enjoyable to watch.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
I seen a hawk swoop down on a red squirrel once in Co on an elk hunt. The little red guy was in a lone pine in a clearing. Tried to cross the clearing and out of no where a red tailed swoops in and misses. I think the squirrel is still in that tree today.
Thanks for shareing

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Absolutely outstanding.  That's some cool stuff.   :D

Offline SpencerL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
The Hunters and Hawks think the same out west as well. I hunt mule deer in some pretty open country. Last week I took a spot and stalk stand on the top of a knoll in front of some tall sage. I had a sparrow hawk try to land on the brush just above my head, but he saw me look up at the last second. He couldn't have been more than 6 ft. from me before he went to look for a new perch.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
That is awesome! I love watching predators, especially birds of prey. I was just going to PM ya. Sweater is awesome.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
That is way cool.  Birds of prey are really something to watch.  I am not a "bunny hugger" and feel their population has advanced beyond their interactive carrying capacity in a number of habitats but they are cool....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
Bruce, I cant believe the EXPLOSION of hawks around here, I've NEVER seen such a huge jump in population. But we have more chipmunks than ever before also, soooooooo.....
David M. Conroy

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
There is that "balance" thing again.... LOL.

Remember David, most of them have a migratory path... its called easy food....

You should see it out here along the Interstates.  My wife and I went to Paducah, KY yesterday and counted about 10 dead along the road.  Hit by vehicles as they "swooped" from the sides for prey in the median.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
that was neat for you to see.seen a hawk take gray squirrel last year.this year learned how possums carry leaves for nest.

they make a pile,then wrap tail around them to carry them.thought it was pretty neat...chris

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Awesome story  :thumbsup:  KY  :archer:

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Very neat!!
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©