3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Advice  (Read 809 times)

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Advice
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
I'm getting a new longbow soon and am trying to decide on some arrows. The bow's gonn be #53 at 28". I'll be hunting #100 whitetails, turkeys, and hopefully hogs. Also if you would like to suggest another your more than welcome.

Arrow 1: Easton Gamegetter XX75 2016 cut to 29" with 150 grn Magnus Snuffers. These arrows are 10.6 grains per inch, that puts me at a total arrow weight of 457.4 grains. What do you guys think about those?

Arrow 2: 3RiversArchery POC Pre-fletched arrows, cut to 29" 55-60 spine with 145 grn Snuffers. Dont know what the GPI of these arrows are, website doesnt specify

Arrow 3: Traditional Only Carbon Arrows, cut to 29" with 500 spine with 150 grn Magus Snuffer, 8.0 GPI arrow weight= 382 grns with 145 grn weight tube= 527 grns.
*COMING SOON* Bama Hunter Longbow #53 @ 28"

2 Timothy 1:7- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Beman MFX Classic Carbon Arrows, cut to 29" in 500 spine, 100 grain brass insert and 150 grainish 2 blade broadheads= 550+/- total grains
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Shoot first... cut and decide later...

Need to do some actual tuning here buddy.  Stu's calculator is a starting place but your draw, release and shooting technique will make the arrow fit a personal thing.  

Get the bow, then test some arrows....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I would go with #3 but in a 400 spine and let out the weight tubes and use a brass insert.

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Thanks bud.
Also I shoot 3 fingers under.
Keep em comin

2 Timothy 1:7- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Huntschool: I just want to get close and I'll do fine tuning and getting etc once I get some arrows that are close...I want to aluminums but cant decide if i should get 2016 or 2117.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
If you want aluminum, the 2016 would be better than the 2117.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
That what I was thinkin...keep the suggestions comin guys, Thanks alot

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
2016 sounds like it might be close......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
I like the 100 grain brass inserts over weight tubes.  If you go with the MFX classics you could sleeve the point end with 1" of 2018 to make them stronger and add 10 grains.

I'm not sure what 3 Rivers does but often times I will try to match a requested weight in cedar arrows.  You tell me spine, lenght BOP, and point weight and I do my best to produce the finished arrow weight you want.  3 Rivers might be able to do this for you.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Here's what I would do. I'd go to BigJim's Bow Company and get some of the GoldTip Blemishes. I'm not sure whether you'll need 3555s or 5575s, but Jim can help you with that.  Get some 50 grain brass inserts, too. They'll come with nocks and aluminum inserts.

From 3 Rivers Archery, or one of the other sponsors, you can get some full length feathers, a little chopper, some fletching tape, some insert glue, and a fletching jig.  You'll also want to get a good supply of various point weights.

All of that won't be much more than a set of fletched arrows and it will be much cheaper in the long run to make them up yourself. It would take less than 2 dozen arrows for you to be ahead.

If you add a little piece of aluminum shaft over the tip end of your shafts, you'll end up with a practically bulletproof shaft.  You can then just focus on your shooting and not worry about breaking cedars and bending aluminum.

Part of the fun of traditional archery is being able to make some of the stuff yourself and learning how to change things to fit you.  

If you decide to just get premade arrows, you'll find that a lot of our different sponsor's are a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck, and post some pics of that Bamabow when you get it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
i spent a heckuva lotta time messing with carbons and made the whole process into a small science project to figure out what carbons are all about, how best to control them (instead of them controlling me) and doing it for the least amount of outlay and the largest gain in accuracy and performance.

SO, my opinion and recommendation is beman bowhunter carbon shafts, 500 size.  

do not be overly concerned with spine, as a single carbon shaft spine can cover a very wide spectrum of stiffness and front end weights.    

forget using any internal weight tubes, they're more bother than function in the long run.  add all weight up front for both increased arrow weight and foc.    

add the up front weight using a heavy brass insert, or heavy screw-in adapters (always use screw-in adapters and not screw-in points or broadheads - far more versatile for tuning).  

make up ONE arrow, use any feather configuration ya like.  you can precut the shaft tube to 29" or leave it at full length and cut it down in 1/4" increments at the nock end 'til the arrow flies well for ya.  cut the carbon shafting with a dremel carbide wheel or fine razor saw - after cutting, lightly sand the tube end square using 120 or so emery board grit, push in the nock.  

i use 29.5" beman 500 shafts almost exclusively with a 55# longbow @ my 29" draw.  the shaft alone will weigh 235 grains.  the supplied alum insert adds 20 grains for 255 grains.  a 125gr adapter and 125 grain glue-in point (broadhead, field, judo - glue-in points are so much more versatile than screw-in points!) gives ya 250+ up front (for a good high 20% or more foc), and a total arrow weight of about 510 grains.  that'd be about 9.5gpp for yer setup - not bad at all.

to up the arrow weight for a closer 10gpp (or lots more), increase the glue-in point weight or use heavier brass inserts (50-75-100gr) instead of the lightweight alums.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
You may want to leave the 2016s full length until you figure it out. If you can cut them, and I have with a small pipe cutter with light pressure as you cut, you can shorten them for even more tunability. If you cut to 29 you can only go shorter. making them longer is not an option once cut.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
I planned on just buying shafts then cutting and fletching them. We have several fletching jigs and a tool we use to cut arrows..We basically have a bow shop in the back room in our house. I think Im gonna go with the 2016 and play with some heavy weights up front. Im not worried about messing them up because 1) they are $40 a dozen which is cheap 2) I'll fletch different arrows for practice and stumping and then huntin

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Of your three options, I'd go with #1, leave them full length, and tume accordingly. Your arrows in #2 may or may not be weight matched. Unless they specifically say they're matched by weight, they're not and there could be 100 grains or more difference from heaviest to lightest. #3 doesn't sound bad, but I'm not a fan of weight tubes, and there are far less expensive carbon shafts out there (Rob's suggestion about Beman ICS Bowhunters is a good alternative).

Whatever you decide, as always, proper tuning will determine the finals specs.

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
i have a similar setup that i use 30" 55/75 trad blems with a 100gr. brass insert with 150gr. woodsman elites.  these fly like darts with a 20% foc. at around 550gr.  never understood weight tubes.  why not add weight up front where it'll to the most good.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mechslasher:
...  never understood weight tubes.  why not add weight up front where it'll to the most good.
:thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
I say listen to what Rob DiStefano says.

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
I only said weight tubes because the arrows didnt weigh enough for my liking..I've never used them but figured I might have to so I can get optimum penetration.

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I've decided to start with full length 2016's because of price and easiest to match/tune IMO...I think I may add a little more weight up front. Thanks for all the advice you guys!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©