3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: choosing a longbow for a long draw length  (Read 652 times)

Offline montucky

• Trad Bowhunter
choosing a longbow for a long draw length
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
Hi,
I used to own a couple of vintage Pearson recurves that I shot years ago - they are my only experience with traditional archery as I hunted with a compound,  Anyway the recurves stacked on me horribly.  My wingspan is 84 1/2 inches - Michael Phelps is 79.  My draw length with traditional gear is probably over 31 inches and was looking into buying a longbow for elk and deer hunting.  Any suggestions?  I was looking at starting with the Bear Montana or Martin Venom.  Thanks

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: choosing a longbow for a long draw length
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
I can relate to a long draw.  I have a 30.5".  If your looking for a one piece recurve your going to want a 66" in R/D style and longer in a straight limb like a Hill.

The Montana and Venom are pretty good bows for the money but I think you'd do better on the Trading Blanket looking for used.  Or take advantage of the sales the sponsors run this time of year.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
This is all personal opinion on my part and I'm sure others will chime in. Wingnut would definitely know better than me, but this is just my opinion.

I would agree with 66 inches. That would be my minimum suggestion though. I hate stacking and finger pinch. At 29in draw I like a 62 in or longer bow. I just think they are more comfortable.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Sounds like you might like a 70" hill style long bow. My 70" Mahantango has plenty of draw for a guy like you.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
Dan Toelke makes a slight variation of his very popular Whip d/r longbow specifically for extremely long draw lengths called the 66 and I believe there is one on his website  www.montanabows.com,  click current inventory then Whips. He can also accomodate you with a Super D Hill style long bow as well. Contact info is on the site as well, call him and talk to him about what you need, you won't find a nicer more knowledgable bowyer.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
I have a 30" draw and I once owned a Belcher 68" Longhorn hybrid longbow. Never had an issue with finger pinch with it.

http://www.belcherbows.com/cat_longhorn.htm
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
for a typical longbow and a true 32" draw length, 68" length bow at the minimum ... unless you had a custom shorter one built that'd be designed for a longer draw length (more aggressive r/d, higher brace height).
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
My draw is 30 3/4 and all my longbows have been 69 and 70 inch. I think a guy could go down to 66 but watch the draw weight as it could get heavy. I've had mine made for my draw lenght.

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 04:07:00 AM »
I've got a 33" draw and a custom 70" longbow works for me.

Alan
Alan

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
68" minimum ... I'd suggest 70 ".

Alan ... mate you must have long arms !!! and where do you get your  arrows ? lol
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Victory Rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
I have a 31.75" draw length and shoot a 68" Mohawk, D style longbow.

Vince's bows are a great price and very smooth with no stacking.

I've shot and owned alot of different longbows from 62" to 66", but found that a properly made 68" was just perfect!
68" Mohawk "Classic" 50# @ 30", Bacote
62" Trad Tines Recurve 50# @ 30"
Ben Pearson Colt 62" 41# @ 28"
Ben Pearson Golden Sovereign Knight 60" 50# @ 28"

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
My draw is 29.5" with a longbow.  I saw a great difference when I went from a 64 to a 66" bow.  If I were you, I would look for 68 to 70" bow.

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 03:52:00 AM »
Hildebrand's and I have them leave them full length. This works for target arrows as I draw the head back onto the shelf. If I ever go hunting with my longbows I'll have to foot the arrows.
Alan

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
I don't prefer really long bows, so if I had a 31+" draw length and wanted to shoot a longbow, I would personally go with a 56" Shrew Classic Hunter that would be a pleasure to carry out in the field hunting elk and deer. With your background in shooting compound bows with their short lengths, you may have some real problems adjusting to a 70" bow or something similar. BobW here on TG has a 32+" draw and shoots a 56" Shrew CH with no problem. If you don't mind carrying a bow that is almost as tall as you are, the bows that others have mentioned would probably work fine.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 02:24:00 AM »
I draw around 30.5 and killed a good bull this year with a 68" Bamabows D-shaped longbow.  Very sweet shooting bow for longdraw shooters....Shawn

Online REM

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Rick's Traditional Bowstrings
    • Rick's Traditional Bowstrings
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
I draw 31.75" and shoot 68" Treadway and Great Plains longbows with no problems.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Big Jim's Thunder Child is made for a longer draw with a brace of 8"
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by scedvm:
I draw around 30.5 and killed a good bull this year with a 68" Bamabows D-shaped longbow.  Very sweet shooting bow for longdraw shooters....Shawn
Agreed. I draw 31" and love Nate's bows. Very smooth. However, I would go with a 70" bow at your draw. I spoke with him the other day on the subject. He's made a few 70" and says they are the smoothest drawing he has made yet.

He has an R/D bow in the works as well if you aren't in any kind of rush. He is close but they aren't quite for sale yet.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©