3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how many shot 3D Tournaments?  (Read 976 times)

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how many shot 3D Tournaments?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under instinctive, the Rick Welch pick-a-spot style. I shoot about 4 to 5 3D shoots a year. Our club has 14 3D animimals in the trees that I try and shoot at least once a week.
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
i shoot 3d here in NZ we just had one last week end and there were 185 people good turn out it was the kiwi3d i came second in the longbow. it is good practice for hunting. but i have not done that for a while. may the force be with you young string  walker.  :biglaugh:    :jumper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
185 traditional shooters or is that combined with the trianing wheel boys?
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
Xia (Spoon to us in this part of NV) you know about Kerry, traxx and me.  Me I break arrows
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
I still like to ask.  :)  thanks skip.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
We shoot every sunday! sometimes we hit two shoots cant get enough! split finger Hunter steaks! love the long ranges  50 Yrds + it screws up sight shooters! Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Wow, splite finger shooting seems to be more commen, I wonder why.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
We have a shoot every 2nd and 4th saturday of the month with 30 3d targets. They close it down for deer season though (the range doubles as a lease as we have about 2200 acres) I have only been shooting a bow a short while, and started shooting 3 under because it got the arrow closer to my eye so I could sight down the shaft. I am going to start learning instinctive aiming, but I have yet to try split finger, if it gives me a cleaner release then I'll switch.
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Ive won a few this year..... one being ASA State Tourney

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
:D  SPLIT FINGER  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
i normaly shoot 2-3 tourneys a month except for oct-dec which is reserved for hunting. Been shooting them for 17 years now. I shoot split finger. I figure i might actualy place in a tournement sometime before i get 20 years in....Maybe!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
what are you concidering "tourneys"  to me theres 3-D shoots where you might get something like a pin or small trophey from the club and then theres "tourneys" where you win a scantioned tournament with alot more at stake.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2007, 06:22:00 AM »
Well lets be honest, even most of the "big" shoots have nothing at stake. If you win ibo world champinship you really don't win anything but bragging rights.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »
I try to go to a few every year. The shooting is fun, but mostly just like the socializing and seeing and meeting people that I don't see otherwise.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
I am not considering doing anything, just wanted to ask a question. Love Questions.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
The Howard Hill, The Tennessee Classic, The Cloverdale Nationals, The Traditional Bowhunters of Florida State Championship, the Alabama Society of Traditional Bowhunters State Championship, etc. etc. etc. aren't exactly sanctioned tournaments, but you will find some of the toughest competition in the world at them.

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at an IBO or ASA tournament, but I don't know of any in my area.  I believe I'd prefer the more laid-back environment (obviously I don't know this from experience, just from talking to folks) of the shoots I attend anyway.  Well I take that back--I did shoot in one sanctioned field archery tournament several years ago--I didn't go back, due to the fellow running it being a bit too stiff-necked, and it shut down after a year (probably due to the reason I didn't go back).  I don't remember if I came in first, last, or somewhere in the middle--other than the aggravation, it was one of the least memorable shoots I've attended.

Most of the folks I know (myself included) go for fun--to shoot, see vendors, socialize, etc. etc.  Bragging rights/dust collectors are ok, but the status is generally very short-lived with a few exceptions (some that come to my mind are Rod Jenkins, Ricky Welch, Bill Lesley) and they still have to pay for a cup of coffee at Hardee's (think Rod will qualify for the senior discount before too much longer though)  :D  

I've won a few state championships, won and placed at a few other big shoots, and I'd bet 99% of the people that were shooting with me don't even remember it--much less anyone else.  Heck, I'd have to look at the trophy to remember when and where myself.  Figure there's as many or more remember the big messes I've made at tournaments as the ones I did ok at.

Anyhow, just because a shoot isn't sanctioned doesn't mean you won't have stiff competition and a good time.  I've seen a lot more competition at some smaller shoots than I've seen at some state shoots.

Chad

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Need to correct myself again--I did shoot in an ASA sanctioned shoot this year--actually a few weeks ago--the State Games of Mississippi.  Very low turn-out for traditional.  Nice medals though.

Chad

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
I am like Chad.I shoot mostly for fun and to be around like minded people. :)I shoot split finger and always try to shoot my best and let the chips fall where they may as far as scores and plastic dust collectors are concerned.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Tom2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
Split fingers and I don't shoot near as many as I would like.

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
I think you could classify anything that you pay to enter, and compete for a prize (be it a pin, hat, trophy, or even money), as a tournament. I could really care less for the prizes, I just go for the experience. At my local archery club, there are maybe 10 regular traditional shooters. We compete against each other plenty, and with the exception of maybe two or three people, most of us are there just for the practise before deer season begins.
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©