3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do deer know when you can't shoot them?  (Read 688 times)

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
How do deer know when you can't shoot them?
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Had a nice hunt yesterday, but all the deer were super on edge.

As soon as I stop hunting to walk home (it was dark by then), a couple deer just stroll right past me. I almost thought one was going to ask if I had a cigarette.

Not the first time this has happened either. I had a huge eight point walk right beside me once on a full moon.   :rolleyes:

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do deer know when you can't shoot them?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Last week I was standing beside my tree-seat and watching two does (waiting for a buck).  I had heard approach from my "blind-side" (of course) and stood up to face that direction . . . which was downwind.  I just stood patiently without moving hoping their presence would draw in a male.  One of them walked diagonally in front of me, turned in and walked right up to 12 feet beside me and stood looking on the same direction I was facing as if to say "what are you looking at?"

I suppose when you know you can't shoot they can tell from your mannerisms and body english?  I have been gathering firewood and not spooked off deer 60 feet away with a chainsaw after driving up with a tractor.  But step on a twig when I have a bow in hand and arrow nocked . . .
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Some people say there is some kind of 'sixth sense' animals have when they enter a kill zone.....if they feel no danger, they are relaxed, etc. Who knows?

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Got to be something about that because while hunting I've had 2 Bucks within 10 yards stop perfectly as if to know that I had no shot, I've had Does in my back yard within 15 feet look at me as if to say "that's right we are in your yard & we know you can't shoot us" & while hunting I've had 5 Does within arms reach of me move around me as if to taunt me because they knew that it was illegal for me to take any of em.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
I have a confession to make!

I have and will continue to lie to deer and I believe in my heart of hearts that "it works!".

Here's what I mean....

I tell myself that "today" I will not shoot a doe!
I  must convince myself that it's a true statement. Then, when and if I see deer(does) I mentally tell then they're safe just for today because I'm not hunting a doe today.

Both the deer and I seem to stay completely relaxed.

The moment they step into my shooting spot I draw and loose my arrow while mentally apologizing to the deer for the lie.

It's already too late for the doe at that point.

This tactic has worked more times than I can remember.

God bless,Mudd

PS: Give it a try, what have you got to lose other than the adrenaline rush prior to the shot...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
Roy....lie'n to a doe,  :dunno:  .

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
We hunt hogs in areas with  closed deer seasons, the deer seem to know when they are not targets. Sometimes they become pests with their curiosity-really distracting. My son had one stay within a few feet for quite a while, on another occasion we had a doe follow us back to the car.

Offline E.AllenIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
I agree with the sixt sense...its like they know what you are thinking.  I may have to give Mudd's technique a try

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
Anyone who'd lie to a doe would lie to his wife!

:saywhat:    :laughing:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
...and probably NOT like Grits!   :goldtooth:    :jumper:    :deadhorse:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
I wouldn't even consider lying to the wife and risk the wrath of her "flashing blue lightening glare!"

but you hit the grits bit on the nail head.

Doc, Like the song says.. "When you've got a hammer in your hand everything looks like a nail!"

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
We as humans have such a huge vocabulary and technology to boot and do not rely on intuitive instincts anymore. Animals cannot communicate with words but use sounds and body language that are not as sophisitcated as our communication. They rely on movement , body language, smell, etc far more than us. Some people claim that animals can smell fear or pick up negative energy.... we can't.
Have you ever felt that someone was staring at you and you turn and find out you are correct? Same idea I think but prey species have it acutely tuned....thats my theory anyway.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
Along time ago I was a park ranger before I ended up in my field of work. Anyway my boss used to feed the deer by hand after work in his yard in the park we lived in...when he had a bad day....the deer would stay about 90 feet away and not come any closer....they seemed to feel his emotions....very interesting....

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
It probably has something to do with that electromagnetic field thing we produce.  Wasn't some company marketing some sort of suit to keep all those bad vibes from reaching the deer?
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I've had that happen too.  Once while hauling out an elk,  deer just stood there and watched me walk by at 20 yards.... go figure.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Kinda like those videos of the lions, antelope, zebra and everything else drinking out of the same watering hole. You always wonder why nobody seems afraid of the lion?

'cus he's not acting hungry.    :knothead:

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
The same way coyotes know when I have my bow and not a rifle. I think we give off somthing they seem to know when there safe or out of range. Interesting.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
I had a nice 4pt come in from behind taking me by surprise. He was well within my comfort zone when I took the shot but it was rushed and I had forgotten  the ol' mantra "aim small miss small." The arrow missed him clean going under his chest. The buck jumped and ran only about 4 steps but it was enough to put him outside my zone of comfortable shooting. He then proceeded to walk almost 360 degrees around me, turned and headed back around me again all the time staying just far enough away. Enjoying tastey acrons the whole time. He then left the area whithout so much as a wave goodby.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
I never thought about it but before firearm season here in Mi (Nov 15th) I was seeing a lot of deer and they were not very alarmed most of the time and I would see them at differant times of the day! I have hunted frequently during firearm season, and the deer seem way more alert and wary even the does which cannot be killed in my area during firearm season, I have seen a fair amount of them but they seem to move right at dark and never get in range until it is too dark to shoot! Firearm season is over soon so hopefully they will drop their guard soon! LOL
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©