3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Video added pg. 2 Quality family time!  (Read 645 times)

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Video added pg. 2 Quality family time!
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Last Saturday morning at 5:30a.m. I stood in my front yard under the weight of quite a dilemma.

Typically, due to my lack of funds and available property, I only have one stand for each wind direction. However, earlier in the season I "Wenselized" my Grandfather's property by creating a slick funnel in the creek bottoms near my home. In doing so, I created another stand option for a SW wind. At the time, I thought this was a stroke of brilliance. On this particular morning, I found myself wondering if I'd had a stroke instead. So, it came down to the "Doublestand" or the "Funnel stand". Yes, I amaze myself with my clever stand naming, too.

Agonizing over the decision, I decided a highly scientific approach was in order.

Gotta go for a few. Be back with the remainder shortly.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Video added pg. 2 Quality family time!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Tap-Tap-Tap

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
we're waiting!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Not a fair intro! .... but effective....   :bigsmyl:    :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
After a heated session of eenie-meenie-minie-moe, the Funnel stand won out. However, shortly after climbing into my ladderstand, I began to wonder if I'd eenied when I should have meenied.

Sure enough, an hour after climbing into my stand a nice buck ran 5 does directly under the Doublestand, which I could see 100 yards away. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! I fought off the urge to climb down right then and slip across the bottoms to the other stand. Instead, I decided to sit tight for awhile.

Well, after an hour I finally lost the argument with myself. Carefully, I slipped out of my stand to slowly stalk over to the Doublestand. After arranging my gear I screwed in my bowhanger, prepared to sit for the long haul.

Within 30 seconds of sitting down for the first time, I glanced over my shoulder to see a lone doe 70 yards away, browsing in my direction. Being the end of November, does were definitely back on the hit list.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Slowly, but surely she browsed closer and closer. Intently watching her backtrail for fifteen minutes failed to produce a buck for which I yearned so bad, and finalized my decision to take the shot if one was presented.

All at once, her pace went from snail-like to hare, and she covered the final fifty yards in less than two minutes.

Now came my next conundrum; would she pass to my left or my right? To my left would be most desirable, as I was already in good shooting position. A move to my right would require a lot of movement on my part, sprinkled with quite a bit of luck to execute without being picked-off.

Sure enough, she veered to my right.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
:campfire:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Now, this next part bears mentioning. Earlier this season I filed all of my nocks to achieve better arrow flight. However, on a few I got a little carried away. It just so happened the arrow I had nocked this morning was one of these.

So, in a fashion a sniper would be envious of, I made the 360 degree turn into a suitable position. Upon completion, I began to place tension on the string, and as I did the Kwik-Lok arrow holder proved to have a better grip on my arrow than my nock.

As the doe eased into a wide open shooting lane only 10 yards away, I was furiously attempting to re-nock my now impotent arrow. Finally, after much fumbling, I was again locked and loaded.

She was standing only 13 yards away, moderately quartering away, and looking in the other direction. For once, I was cool as a cucumber as I began to draw while simultaneously burning a hole through the hair I wanted to hit. Upon reaching full-draw, back tension was applied until I felt the "bump" of my clicker.

The release was instinctive, and I watched as the arrow hit precisely where I would have wanted. Or so I thought.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I am interested!!  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Nice story so far.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
:coffee:     :coffee:    :coffee:

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Thank you. Sorry for the interrupted posts, but I have two little ones running around so each time I hit a stopping point I have to stop to settle the most recent crisis.

Now back to the regular scheduled programming...

At impact it appeared as if I'd shot a blunt into a trampoline. Watching the arrow penetrate, I was dumbfounded when it halted progress to seemingly push the eject button. The arrow reversed course, launched about ten feet into the air, then landed ten yards away. There was no accompanying "crack", or any other clue to belay what had occurred.

Immediately upon arrow departure, the doe began literally plowing away with her nose in the dirt, and her front legs barely keeping her on her, uh, feet. After a 25 yard circular dash, she righted herself, flicked her tail, and began to steadily walk.

Surely, I had hit her right where I thought I had, right? How could my eyes betray me at such a close distance? Deciding to stick with my initial belief, I nocked a second arrow. Finding an opening ahead of where she was walking proved difficult, and I was forced to wait until she was nearly 30 yards away. Normally I do not shoot at this distance, however I knew she was hit, although I was not positive where, and wanted to get another arrow into her.

As she oozed into the next opening I released a second arrow, which struck her directly in the spine. Only thinking of getting down to dispatch her as quickly as possible, I rushed down the tree.

Running to where she laid proved needless, as she was already dead. The first arrow had indeed been perfect. Let the head scratching begin.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Searching for what could have been the cause of such an erratic arrow reaction proved fruitless at first.

Seeing an opportunity, I wanted to let my four-year-old boy, Walker, hone his tracking skills on this easy track. So, I called my wife and told her to dress him appropriately, and informed her I'd be back at the house soon. To my surprise, she said she wanted to tag along to video the experience. This meant my two-year-old daughter would be along for the adventure also.

After arriving back home, retrieving the tools for an efficient (read: clean) field-dressing, wrestling the kids into their clothes, we were finally on our way.

As you'll see in the video I post tomorrow, (thanks to a very slow connection), Walker didn't do too bad for his first time out. He had the same problem most adults I track with have; blazing ahead in the assumed direction instead of sticking to finding blood.

For now, a picture will have to suffice:

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
What hapened with the first arrow? Can't wait for the rest!!!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Cool stuff Dusty!  I bet "Daddy is pretty cool for taking us along tracking deer".  Looking forward to the video.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
Really cool thread.

I watched over the shoulder of my son when he experienced a "bounce out". The arrow gave the appearance of literally bouncing off the deer. It looked like he got ZERO penetration.

In reality, it had penetrated slightly quartering into the opposite shoulder, took out both lungs and some big pipes on top of the heart. With a shattered shoulder and a destroyed pump station, the deer made it only 40 yards.

I will check in after work for the rest of the story!  :thumbsup:

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Shot a doe a couple of years ago, and it appeared that the arrow had stopped on the shoulder and barely penetrated. Actually it had penetrated through the lungs to the opposite shoulder and bounced back, although it did stay in the deer, barely. Needless to say I was much relieved when I found her, about 50 yards away. The tip of my Snuffer was curled, the only time that's happened to me.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
Nice story Dusty!

How 'bout that arrow?  What happened?

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
Nice looking family and deer, good story.....Phil

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©