3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Stand height?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Stand height?
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
I usually but not always try to place my tree stands 12' in the air.  Measured to the bottom of my feet.  I have very rarely been detected at this height.  I often hear of guys talking about 30' in the air and wonder if I am too low.  I hunt in Kansas and if I get much higher I limit my shooting radius because of tree branches.  If Let me know how high and where you hunt. Thanks, Kip

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Stand height?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
If you are not getting busted than you are good.

Most of my stands are vegetation dependent but I really get over 18' but I do have some side hill stands where I am maybe 30' on one side and 18' or so on the other. Getting to high effects angles to much for my liking.

C

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
I'm about 15' currently to the platform.  Depends a lot on local cover and the tree I am in.  I like to "nestle in" with branches behind to break up my outline.  12' to 15' is normal for me.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
12 is about what I do.....I rarely get busted, but I move slowly.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Easier to double lung at your height.Stick to whats been working.Each height has it's advantages.Here where I hunt 20' seems more the norm to obtain good cover.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
16-18 feet.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Don't get up in a tree very often, but when I do my haul line is 15' long and I use it as a gauge, it always has slack in it...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I prefer 10 to 12 feet in Oklahoma. I like the shot angles from lower stands.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I had one at 9 ft and shot my share no problems. My avg at about 12 ft.
USMC 82-86

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Depends totally on the situation. If I'm in open woodland with reasonably flat ground, I'll go between 16-20 feet. In tight cover with lots of ground cover a lot lower. I just hung 2 stands the other day right on the edge of a bedding area. Fully covered on one side, 45º open slope on the other side. Both stands are at about 8 feet. Any higher & I'd be skylighted from the slope.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
I too like lower stands... 12-14' to the platform. However, in late season with the leaves off I get busted more often at that height.

I have buddies that will never hunt lower than 25' and they hunt big bucks exclusively.

I'm a bit afraid of heights... another reason I stay lower.  :banghead:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
18 to 25 feet for me.  I like to get that height not so much so they won't see me but I've had deer hear me draw back my recurve before when I was lower.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
My stands are between 13' and 16'  to the platform normally. any higher and my view becomes restricted due to the thick canopy.  Was out moving stands this morning through the evening. The older I get the more I hate all the hassel of tree stands   :knothead:   .
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline iawoody2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
I like 12-15 to platform, I stand most of the time which puts my waist at about 15-18.
Bob
Bowhunter since 1959

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 05:59:00 AM »
13ft
I guess european animals are much less apt to look up than in the US because they have no predator such as cougars, bobcats and tree-stands are not widely used.
So they are not yet too suspicious
Who knows how long it will last...

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
10-12' to the ladder stand seat, hunting in the woods. I choose a tree that gives me good cover if possible. In my experience anything over 8' is enough unless the deer are spooky.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
Depends totally on the situation. If I'm in open woodland with reasonably flat ground, I'll go between 16-20 feet. In tight cover with lots of ground cover a lot lower.  
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
The older I get the more it is not so much about height but more of how to hide..... I used to just climb 25-30 feet and not worry about it. Terrible shot angles.

My haul rope is 20' and most days that is about where I wind up. What I try to do now is use adjacent trees next to the tree I am in to help hide me. One of my best trees has a cedar that is about 24 feet right next to my red oak. Talk about hid ! I also like to climb bigger trees if possible to help with back cover. I stand lots of the time on stand and get right back against the tree so I am not standing out in the open skylined.On rainy, windy or wet leaf days I spend as much time standing as possible for two reasons. You can see better all around you and not let deer get by you that you might not hear. Also you are already up and do not risk all the movement of standing to take a shot. Love forked trees too ! With our deer here in TN you best be finding a way to hide or you will get busted ! JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
With my climber I am usually 15-18' up to get into the lower branches to break-up my outline. With my hang-on I usually pick a little knarlier trees that offer good cover at the 10-14' range. some of my compound buddies hunt 25' or more and it usually ends up a long track or lost deer, more close in "iffy" shots taken. I tend to shoot much less and only at broadside or quartering deer.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Like already said depends on situation.  I rarely go above 15 feet myself.  I am no expert but the Wensel's are and that is about where they go.  If I am in a situation where the leaves are down and not alot of coverage for stand hunting, use the ground am amazed at getting a shot, just have to play the wind and move slow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©