3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New guy  (Read 338 times)

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
New guy
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
I am new to traditional archery.  I have been shooting compound bows for about 15 years and just got a longbow a few months ago.  I want to eventually hunt with it but I do not feel that I can shoot well enough yet so I am sticking with my compound for now.  I am having trouble tuning my arrows to my bow. I admit that I don't really know what I am doing.  I tried paper tuning with different point weights and I didn't find alot of difference in the tears.  So far the best I could do was shoot 3 arrows and see which ones grouped the best. I have not bought any broadheads because I hate to spend the money on them and have the wrong weight.  Can someone offer a suggestion.  I'll say thanks in advance because I am sure I will be on here with many more questions.

Offline Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
Welcome and if you post your questions on the shooters forum you might get more help with tuning issues. Enjoy the journey.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
Welcome to tradgang!

It's a journey that you have begun but not a race.

I will let those who will do a much better job at answering your question jump in to get you started down the right path.

I think they will need some additional information from you before they can begin.

Stuff like your bows specs, your draw length, ect.ect....

My best advice is be patient with yourself.

Remember it's best not to try to eat a whole elephant at one sitting.

The weather is cold outside so drag up a log, prop up your feet by the cyber campfire, grab a hot cup of your favorite drink and enjoy the journey with the rest of us.

I'm positive someone with the knowledge you seek will be along shortly.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
Welcome to you! I would suggest you go to  tuning longbows and recurves  Read it over, it explains everything quite well. Another great resource is Stu Millers Dynamic spine calculator.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
Welcome from Kentucky. Sure we can give advice, we all think we know more than we really do.

You will get some links posted to tuning info and all are very good but to keep it simply, first off in trad archery your arrow spine is very critical to good arrow flight. We will need to know all your specs from bow length and weight to your draw length. So we can let you know which arrows and point configuration will most likely work best for your setup.

There are only a few main adjustments that you can make with your new gear. Please don't see this as a hindrance we see it as a benefit. Brace height of your string, Nock point height and plate windage adjustment to put it simply.

With a little work and if your bow and shooting style are capable you can get perfect arrow flight.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
Here is a link for A&H Archery tuning page. It will also help answer a BUNCH of questions.

http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
Welcome..what part of Alabama are you in? Im located in Northeast around the Gadsden area
*COMING SOON* Bama Hunter Longbow #53 @ 28"

2 Timothy 1:7- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Welcome and you will enjoy all the info and great people on this site. it will be the other woman in your life in no time(cheaper to). This will help and check the shooters forum as noted above.
 http://www.tradgang.com/docs/newbies.html

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=6
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
what part of Alabama are you in?
I live over around Athens and mostly hunt in Jackson County.

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Right now I am shooting a PSE Sequoia 45# @ 28".  My draw length is 27 1/2".  I am shooting 3555 GoldTip traditional arrows.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Welcome bud ! I am in TN but work Athens, Decatur and Huntsville areas. Post your bow specs, arrow specs, and point weights you have tried and you will get plenty of help. The gang will get you close and then it is up to you to hold good shooting form. You must hold good form if your arrows are to fly true and be able to get the correct tune. Make sure you have a good consistent anchor, use good back tension, and pull thru without collapsing. If you are consistent in your form , THEN you can really fine tune with a bareshaft. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
PM sent
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Cottonmouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Welcome to Trad Gang and your new affliction,err...hobby!
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."  Robert A. Heilein

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cottonmouth:
Welcome to Trad Gang and your new affliction,err...hobby!
I'll second that!

Others have already mentioned some good sources for tuning information.  And it is an important part of eventually shooting well.  But keep in mind that just as important is learning proper form and technique.  Sloppy release, inconsistent anchor, short drawing, etc., etc., will all contribute to poor arrow flight.  

In fact, until you at least develop some consistency in your shooting spending too much time on tuning can be counterproductive.  In order to evaluate what a change in your set up is doing you must first be able to be consistent with your form and release.  Without that foundation tuning can become an exercise in frustration.

It looks like you have some arrows that should be pretty close for your set up.  Shoot and enjoy, and worry about the details and fine tuning as you get better.  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
I'd like to welcome you to Tradgang too & I'd also like to commend you on your ethics of not hunting with your longbow till you have developed more skill. We need hunters like that.
Welcome.   :thumbsup:    
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
hey alwoodsman im from florence. i got a few trad buddies from huntsville. we all get together and shoot a few times a year. you can join us if you'd like. we can help you out.

i can get you hooked up with them and mabe you can go you there house and shoot during the week.

let me know

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Welcome to the campfire.   :campfire:    :archer2:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Like Danny said Pull up a log to the Campfire and sing along!Great folks and lots to help.Welcome aboard.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Welcome, and I'm glad you're trying to get advice from someone other than me now, I'm not nearly as smart as I let on.  And hopefully I can remember to bring you those heads this week.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Welcome. Pull up a chair!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©