3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How cold??  (Read 223 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
How cold??
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
So, it's 5 degrees at my house this morning. It's my last day to be able to hunt bucks, but as I get older, it becomes impossible to feel my fingers in weather like this. I will wait for it to warm up a bit before I go out; probably this afternoon.  For you guys in Canada and Alaska, 5 may be a heat wave at certain times of the year, but do you hunt in it? If I can't feel the bowstring, there's not much point in hunting.  I layer, I wear pacboots, I wear wool, I wear gloves; still cold. I used to work outside in the Wyoming winter, but the older I get, the less I like frigid weather. Where do you draw the line when the temperature drops?
This is why Arizona looks so good in January!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How cold??
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Well, it don't get too awfully cold around here.  If it is 5 deg here, that is cold.  The temp rarely drops below 0.  I have never found the temp to be a problem when hunting.  

I did recently buy some mil-spec insulation from Sportsmans Guide and it is incredible.  I wore the standard super thin camo pants and a camo long sleeve tee with the mil-spec under it the other day when it was about 20 deg and was more than toasty.  Infact, the stand I hunted is about 100 yards from my front door and I was HOT when I reached my tree.  You might want to try that stuff.  It came with a neck gator, booties and a hood also, but I did not have those on.  Super warm stuff.  

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
I feel your pain Pat. The place I hunted yesterday the sun doesn't get to till 2 hours after daylight and by the time the sun started to shine on me I had had enough. It seems as the season goes on the more the cold bothers me and the more I don't want to leave the woodstove.
It is hard to say where I would draw the line. It would depend on a lot of things like if the freezer is full it would be easy stay in, but if I want more deer I would have to leave the comfort of the woodstove.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline ABBIBOY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
If I had any remedy for cold feet and hands I love those tosty toes. I put some on my feet and for the hands I wear gloves with mitten tops and I stick a few tosty toes in the mittens also. These work well for about three hours or so. Nothing worse than cold hands & feet.
GS

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
I have a hand warmer thing that you put both your hands in..it looks like a cylinder.. and i stuff 2 hot hands in there and grip each one and NEVER get cold..I also had milspec thermals and i believe god made those hisself. I wear thick wool socks and tennis shoes with toasty toes in there....it only gets in the low teens on cold days down here but thats how i keep warm, my feet and hands will sweat if i dont watch out
*COMING SOON* Bama Hunter Longbow #53 @ 28"

2 Timothy 1:7- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
One way to help keep from getting as cold is to EAT!!!! Something digesting in your belly generates heat and its in your core so it does make a difference. I normally am a 2 cuppa guy in the AM and I would be freezing after a few hours on stand. Now I have a bowl of oatmeal or a PBC sandwich before I leave and a few Payday bars or bag of almonds when on stand. It really does help.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
the woolen boogers that paul brunam developed are suppose to be good and still sold for hands.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Yep.  I used to go out in below zero weather, but that's not so much fun anymore.  Still will occasionally, but don't stay out as long.  In addition to having good boots, headwear, all wear, really, I've found that a muff with chemical hand warmers keeps my fingers warm enough to shoot comfortably, at least if I don't have to keep them outside the "bag" for 15 minutes or more while trying to get the shot.   :archer2:

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Pat, The temp,was -20C for a few days last week,and I only got out for couple hours at a time. If the wind isn't blowing I can stand it for longer. I only have to walk for about 100 yards to ground blind or a bit further to ladder stand. I don't have the woolen underwear witch would help,but not sure what to buy . Hands getting cold are the bad thing.
Ken
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
At 5 f. I won't be sitting in a stand very long. However for moving like tracking or stalking, no problem. As I get older I hunt more in the early fall. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
-30 with a light breeze last week. Wool union  suit underwear, polar fleece over that. KOM trapper, bibs, bowman and a beavertail vest. Light wool gloves inside wool lined leather mittens. Goodyear blimp like but it worked. Sat a ground blind and made a 25 yard shot on a whitetail. Take the big mitts off for the shot.
Baffin chore boots, rubber with removable liners are great, inexpensive and warm. Airbob soles.
Terry

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
In temps that you are referring to I just use a Muff made of polar fleece, designed by my wife.  Simple to use with an extra long strap to go over any amount of clothes I am wearing at the time.  A couple of the handwarmer packets inside of it and am ready to hunt to 20 below.

The best way to keep your hands warm is to keep your head warm.  85% of your body heat is lost out of your noggin, and when you lose body heat the first thing to lose warmth is your extremities.  So a good hat is essential.

As far as food for the cold, stay away from sugary candy bars as they only give you a momentary rush.  You are much better off with the oatmeal or long burning carbohydrates.  Better yet is meats with a high fat content (sausage, bacon etc  protein).  It will slow burn and keep you warmer longer than carbs will.  My native friends have taught me these things to be true.

Last and probably foremost is to not let yourself get cold.  A lot of guys get cold to the point where they do nothing about it til the are uncomfortable.  By this time you are on a slippery slope.  Be a bit proactive and as soon as the first chill runs up your spine do something to counter it.  Move around, eat, Drink.  The natives up here really have their act together when it come to cold.  Have Fun!!!

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Bill has pretty well covered it. We've regularly got temps in the - 10s, I layer with wool. & use a GOOD HAT ( cover your ears) a Balaclavia works wonders.
  I like Wool gloves with the tips of the fingers exosed, but with a hood that allows you to use them as mittens. The hood folds back & stays in place with velcro.
  I use a tab to shoot with & it will fit over the gloves fingers. A shooting glove might fit under the wool gloves.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©