3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bareshafting needed if broadheads fly perfect? follow up question on page three  (Read 275 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi,

i tried some new arrows, they were fletched but seemed theoratically good for my setup (though stus calc is way off, but it was way off on my last setup,too)

So i shot 3 of em with Broadheads and 3 with fieldtips several times.
Both group good together @20 yards and flew perfect. In fact the Broadheads hit even a bit more excact as the field points.

you think im good to go or would you go through the process of defletching three arrows and doing a bareshaft test?

Thanks Guys!
Regards

Axel

BTW, heres the arrow and bow specs:
bow:
62" Signature TD LB 56@29,5"; +1/8; 14strand XCel;

arrow:
Beman MFX Classic 340; 30,25" 125grn tip + 75 grn insert; front footing 1,5" (15grn); end footing 0,5" (5 grn); 4x4"fletch RH;
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Axel, why mess with perfection?
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
If your happy with the results why bareshaft.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Bareshafting isn't necassary. Once fletched your bow probably shoots spines and weights of arrows. Why go through the hassle if what you have is working.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Center Cut is a very important number when using Stu's Calculator.  

Axel
I believe you may be using an incorrect center cut for your calculations unless you have built out your side plate 5/16"

I called Bob Lee Archery this morning and they said the center cut for the Bob Lee Signature riser is 3/16 past center or -3/16 for use in Stu's calculator.

Using Stu's calculator,your specs and adjusting for the -3/16 center cut I got a very good match using a center cut of -1/8 inch. Throw in a few extra g for the 4th feather and I came up with a dynamic spine difference of 1.2 lb.  

Anyone interested in the calculator can download it here    Stu\\'s Calculator .  I would suggest you also download the directions which are in PDF and save them for reference.

Regards

Les Heilakka
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
If they fly right, no problem.  I have never personally bare shafted an arrow in my life and I've been shooting recurves and longbows for about 50 years.  It isn't necessary.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
metsastaja,

if the center cut Bob Lee told you is right then both setups are in the ball park again!
Damn! I meassured it myself but wasnt to sure about how to meassure it. Seems i made a mistake thereby!

Thanks alot! Thats an eye opener for sure!
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
I have never personally bare shafted an arrow in my life and I've been shooting recurves and longbows for about 50 years.  It isn't necessary.
Me either!  I don't get the bareshaft thingy. I guess some guys just like to tinker....
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
quote:
------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
I have never personally bare shafted an arrow in my life and I've been shooting recurves and longbows for about 50 years. It isn't necessary.
------------------------------------------------

Me three Biggie and Les
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I tune with broadheads.  If broadheads and field points group together, I'm done and it sounds like you are also!

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
If it ain't broke.......

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
I bareshaft all the time; but that does not mean you should. There is no right or wrong-it is like a religion.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I tune with broadheads.  If broadheads and field points group together, I'm done and it sounds like you are also!
That works for me too.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
You are good to go!!!!!!!!

Bareshafting will let you know.

Tuning with BH's let's you know for sure
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'm really into bareshafting but if I shoot a fletched arrow with a broadhead and it flys perfect then walla thats the end result!!  

but I've noticed bareshafting really comes into play if you may encounter rain and  your fletch gets wet,, bareshaft tuned arrows will fly with wet fletch, missing a fletch and I have shot them with only 1 fletch on a 3D to prove a point,, does everyone need to do this NO but if you have the means and you want it perfect then YES,,,,,,,, I was one of those guys who patterned my shotguns for the best birdshot loads so maybe I'm a little on the perculier side IDK..
"Us vs Them"

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
In the final stage of broadhead tuning i always wet the feathers down and see what happens to avoid this. They were flying a bit more unstable but not bad and they were still hitting where they should be.

I guess i leave em like they are! Thanks guys much apreciated

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Like most have said, if you bareshaft first, the final test is to shoot broadheads and field points together. If they group the same, you're done.

Traditional archery can really be pretty simple. Match up a basic bow to some good arrows and you can be pretty darned accurate.  That being said, a lot of guys like to tinker and be a little more involved with the process, thus bareshafting, looking at FOC, ect., ect.  Back in the late 70's and early 80's our method was to shoot the field points on our tapered shafting from Kustom King Arrows and then to mount the Zwickey Delta 2 blade heads. If they flew like the field points we sharpened them and went hunting.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ray good point,,,, because I think people who shoot lighter/slower bows experience shooting broadheads differently than people who shoot heavy & fast bows..

I shoot around 50# bows and usually 10gr per inch arrow weights and I find that once i bareshaft an arrow I can shoot any broadhead i want from 2" wide treesharks to Magnus bullheads as long as its mounted straight.  BUT I think I couldn't pull this off if I shot close to 200FPS or faster or even maybe a lighter arrow..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
I bareshaft so that I get an arrow close enough to be correctable when I shoot broadheads.

If yours do well with broadheads on, you just skipped over a step.  You ended up in the right place.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Chuck Adams,is well know for being a fanatic about fine tuning;he has always prefered the BHs tuning over bare shaft and this is with a compound bow.I bare shaft and at the end I NEED to double check with the BHs since this is what we use on games.The final score is almost the same but the bare shaft test is much more sensitive and difficult to acheive.Remember when bare shafting you need to add the weight for the fletching.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©