3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Indiana Hunting Information  (Read 316 times)

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
Indiana Hunting Information
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I have a question about hunting in Indiana. I called the DNR office but she was hateful and didnt give me the information that I needed nor did she bother to explain. So I figured I would ask the kind folks on Tradgang in hope of better answers without all the attitude and good explanations. My family goes on a slug hunt to Indiana in Novemeber each year, my immediate family (dad and brother) and I did not go this year. My question was simply: Am I allowed to hunt with a bow instead of a slug gun? and is it possible that i could carry both? Someone please explain, she said I needed an archers license, we have just always bought the Non-resident deer license and I was wondering if this covers that area. If I'm not allowed to carry both then I will just take my bow no questions asked. I am confused about this, in Alabama a hunting license is a hunting license and you can hunt with a bow or gun!

This post may be a little confusing but Im kinda venting from that woman! So I apologize
*COMING SOON* Bama Hunter Longbow #53 @ 28"

2 Timothy 1:7- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Indiana Hunting Information
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Robert,

Here's the way I understand it... you may hunt with a bow during the firearms (shotgun, ML, legal handguns, and Pistol Cartridge Rifles)season which just closed this past Sunday... but you must use an archery tag... which was around $150.00 if I remember right for non-residents...

You are not allowed to carry both weapons, even if you have a bow tag and a firearms tag...

Our late season opens this coming Saturday, Dec 4th for archery, and ML.  To use a bow, you again must use an archery tag... to hunt with a ML you must have a ML tag... again you cannot carry both weapons in the woods...

We also have what are called Bonus County tags... not available in all counties and then they vary depending on what county that are available as well... they are either sex only and any legal weapon... the first costs 150.00 or so also, but then the next are reduced substantially... like 20.00 or so...

I'm not sure what non-resident license you have purchased in the past... all our deer tags are weapons dependant... except the bonus county antlerless...

Sorry this is so long, but I've probably left something out...

PM my your phone number if you wish and I'll give you a call today... I'm home on vacation and it's raining and we have a week buffer between firearms and late season...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
They changed the law last year allowing you to carry both firearm and bow during the fire arms season.

But to do so you would need an archery deer license and a firearm deer license.

Here's a link to where they changed the law last year.

http://www.in.gov/nrc/files/September_2009_Minutes.pdf

http://www.in.gov/nrc/files/January_2009_Minutes.pdf
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
I dont see on the DNR website where you can buy firearm specific deer tags..all i see if just non resident deer tags here's the link:  http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2380.htm
Scroll down to Non Resident License, then look in the hunting section, then Deer Hunting price is $150

2 Timothy 1:7- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
There are definately seperate licenses for firearms and archery, granted it's not explained well online but they are seperate!

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
I think Im understanding better now.. I havent been up there yet neither has my dad, I supposed whenever you buy the license from Walmart or whatever you ask for a bow tag or a gun tag?

(and btw Robert is my dads name I used his information to join tradgang my name is Drew, Im 15)

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Wow... news to me... I had a friends dad get busted years ago... didn't know they had changed the carring of multiple weapons...

Can you direct me to the page it's listed on Dennis... there was 18 pages of stuff on the link... I glanced through and didn't see

Robert, I can see where that is confusing in the website... but be assured as Dennis said they are seperate tags...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Ah, found it on page 8...

Sorry about that Drew,  
I'd be careful asking for advice from the Walmart's... I've heard some horrific stories that have come from some of the clercks... many of them don't know squat and then even less...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
adeeden has it right.  You must have both.  It's really not as complicated as it sounds but it takes some getting used to.  There is a move to simplify it but change is slow and the state is fiscally lean right now.  State employees haven't had a raise in a while and staff is cut way back.  No excuse for a rude attitude but that might explain your problem with the DNR.  I find it is easier to just email them right now.  Good luck.  What county do you hunt?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I just talked to my PawPaw who has been up there several times, he said you had to ask for specific weapons tags. So im good now, Thanks guys.

My dad wanted me to ask this: Where is the BEST public land in Indiana? We hunt around Sulivan, IN on Fairbanks Management Area

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Couple things to add/correct:

1. Twigflicker - you're first post you stated that the bonus tags are either sex - I think you made a typo - the bonus tags are antlerless only - not either sex.  So as to avoid confusion - Indiana is one buck only during the normal season at this time.

2.  The easiest way to think of it in Indiana is that the bow season and gun season happen to overlap for a period of time - they are "separate" seasons based on tags (archery or firearm) but are open together for part of the time.  

3.  If you bowhunt during gun season you still have to wear the orange.  In Indiana you are legal with a hat, cap, vest OR jacket.  No need for both hat and coat.  I wear a orange hat only.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
ive killed lots of deer in the hardy lake area..hoosier nay.forestry is tops
i like biscuits

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan, I saw the extra antlerless tag but not gonna buy one because we walk about 1-2 miles to get to our hunting spot and im not draggin a little doe that far!! And I would wear orange for the safety of it anyways but if you climb in a tree stand could you take it off once at the top?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
No, wear your orange all the time.  I just wear a small beanie-style cap.  No bill to flash when you turn your head.

Hoosier National Forest is huge and can hold big deer.  Get a good map and pinpoint the saddles in ridges.  Hang a comfy stand or bring a comfy chair and stay all day during the rut.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
I may get my dad check into Hoosier.. Were talkin about it now and said we'll prolly go scout in the Spring

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Drew, if your only 15 you may want to check into getting the youth license, I am not sure if it is available for a non resident but if it is you can get all your tags for one (low) price!

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I'll  be 16 whenever we go but I think the website said 18..but I had already planned on getting the youth license anyways, whatever saves money!

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Drew, if you are under 18, you can purchase your non-resident archery deer license for $24, this covers a deer of either sex. If you kill a buck and wish to kill a doe you need to buy a non-resident youth bonus antlerless tag. If you buy both you NRYA and your bonus antlerless license it'll cost $48 to hunt deer in Indiana. You'll also need to have a valid Hunter Education Card to purchase a hunting license. If not Indiana also offers an Apprentice license. To use the apprentice license you have to have another hunter who has a valid hunting licnense hunting with you. Any other questions send me a PM.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A811

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
I have a Valid Hunters education card..We plan to just buck hunt (even though I may smack a doe with my longbow on the last day, if no bucks)because of the long walk to our hunting place and having to drag a lil doe out wouldnt be worth it to some of my family, eventhough it would to me.

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks for catching that mistake Ryan... I knew I'd screw something up...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©