3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinny String Poll  (Read 469 times)

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
Skinny String Poll
« on: November 30, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
There have been a number of threads on Trad Gang discussing Skinny Strings or Low Strand Count (LSC) strings.  For the purposes of this poll a Skinny String will be characterized by one made of 10 strands or less.

Some of the "self-reported" benefits of Skinny Strings include a reduction of bow noise, less forearm string slap, less hand shock, an increase in bow stability and an increase in arrow speed.  It would be interesting to see who has tried Skinny Strings and their results.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skinny String Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Got my "skinny sting" from one of our sponsors, SBD Bow strings. Pierre makes an awesome string. Quiet, fast, I just love the results.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
I recently bought a used Morrison recurve on this website, and called Morrison about the bow specs (I think Morrison himself answered the phone).  After giving me info on the bow, Morrison recommended I get a 6-strand skinny bowstring from SBD (a vendor on Tradgang) which I did.  After trying it, the answer to your questions is yes, yes, and yes.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
My SBD string softened the "twang" in my carbon limbs.
Tom

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Most of the bows I shoot are 75 to 105 pounds draw weight. Just don't feel safe trying strings that thin on my draw weights. Even on the bows I shoot in the 50 and 65# range, I don't think I would like the "feel" of the string since I'm use to higher strand counts.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Way to go Jay! Much better when we position this as 'Art' not 'Science'-who needs quantifiable results to indicate preference!
Love my skinny strings.

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by bawana bowman:
Most of the bows I shoot are 75 to 105 pounds draw weight. Just don't feel safe trying strings that thin on my draw weights. Even on the bows I shoot in the 50 and 65# range, I don't think I would like the "feel" of the string since I'm use to higher strand counts.
105 pounds!  I'm not sure I'd feel safe with a regular string.  Actually, the skinny string feels the same as the serving is normal.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Skinny's get a nay from me.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
I'm shooting 8 strands (astro flight), and get a little better speed performance. Thats not why I shoot it though, I shoot it because it is so much quieter!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Love those SBD 8-strand stings!  Way quieter on all my bows, and noticeably nicer feel to the shot on most of those bows.   I don’t know about speed, but have had to change my tune a little because my arrow got weaker with the new strings.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
I tried one on my Black Widow PTFX.  I will stick with Black Widow's strings.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
got a 8 strand on my zipper and a 6 strand on my big jim and love them both!!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
when compared to higher count strand strings of the same fiber, lsc strings are gonna be lighter (faster?), quieter (higher pitch), and have a different "feel" upon release.

does lower string weight contribute to faster arrow speeds?  probably, but even if 5 or more fps were added (very very doubtful, perhaps more like 1 to 3 fps at the max for the average 45-60# stickbow) that's not gonna matter much at the distances most folks kill critters.  no, speed doesn't kill - well placed sharp broadheads do.

is a "quieter" bow string beneficial to hunting?  well sure, but what is "quiet"?  imo, skinny strings produce higher pitched tones at lower volumes than fatter strings, for the same given bow and brace height.  our human ears (and hands, bodies) perceive the louder low notes far better than the less volume high notes. so the skinny strings appear quieter.  what does that mean to the game we hunt?

what "different feel" on release?  i can only speak from my observations shooting and comparing a variety of same fiber lsc 8 strand strings to 14 strand strings - there's a better "stability" to the feel of the release with a smaller diameter bowstring.  from the time the string slips off the bowhand fingers to the arrow clearing the riser, the bow and overall shot "feels better".  dunno how to put it in any other words.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
I havent tried one but should be receiving one for my PCH from SBD within a day or so.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by adeeden:
I'm shooting 8 strands (astro flight), and get a little better speed performance. Thats not why I shoot it though, I shoot it because it is so much quieter!
I have yet to shoot a FF-type string on either my Habu or Dye that was quieter than Dacron. However, I've not tried one of the SBD's
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
I use a 6 strand, and we send 8 strand with our bows.Sound is the biggest thing I see. Speed I don't know, it has to be faster, the sound is what sold me on them.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I got a 10 strand for my Morrison. When I got my second Morrison you guessed it I bought another SBD. Great strings.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Good post - i agree w/Bjorn - lots to be said for personal preference. Certainly is possible the strings are quieter ONLY to the archer - but we have to listen to it too. If its quieter to me an that makes me happier......
Again, good post J
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
I think they are terrific. Arrows seem faster and the bows are even quieter and snd smoother shooting for me.

Offline Bender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
Funny.
10 strand is my "standard" and has been for years. I never thought of a string as "skinny" until it was 8 or 6 strands.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©