3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gaining Arrow weight  (Read 741 times)

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
Gaining Arrow weight
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
After reading a thread about shooting lite arrows I became extremely concerned when I read about the effects a lite arrow can have on a bow. So I went out and bought a scale. I'm around 400 grains. I'm 55 lbs at full draw. I understand I need about 10 grains/lb = 550 grains. Does anyone have some good ideas to gain some weight quickly so I can hunt this weekend and not have to squint my eyes everytime I loose an arrow? Thanks!
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gaining Arrow weight
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
What kind of arrow are you shooting? For synthetics you can add heavier inserts and heads. For wood you can only change the head unless you can interally foot them.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Gold tip 55/75. 28.5" long. 125 grain muzzy. Good question. I should have mentioned that the first time.
KennyM Swap bow

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
you can get some wieght tubes to put in your shafts!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
I thought about ordering some from 3R but I don't think they'll make it here by this weekend so i'm looking for something quicker.
KennyM Swap bow

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Weight tubes might be your best bet if your inserts are epoxied in. If not you could remove them and add brass inserts.

Offline Wal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Dripper tube from garden watering systems will do as a weight tube in a pinch, I found commercial weight tubes belted nocks out a bit on me.

Cheers

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
Good tips. I thought I read somewhere about running weed wacker string into the shaft, sound reasonable.
KennyM Swap bow

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
If the inserts are expoxied in, you might be able to cut them off since going with more weight up front will mean you probably need a shorter arrow anyway.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 05:17:00 AM »
Try a heavier point, you're at the bottom end of of a 55/75 spine wise, you should be ok adding another 100gr.  Just remember, whatever you end up doing, your arrow will drop quicker past 20yds or so.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
don't use weight tubes, just add the weight up front.  a side benefit will be increased foc for a better tracking arrow.  replace the aluminum adapter with a 125gr steel one, glue on yer broadhead or field point or judo, and yer good to go.  no worries over spine/stiffness - it'll be just fine.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Next year my dad and I are switching back to woodies so I don't have to deal with the weight issue as much.
KennyM Swap bow

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
imho, carbons and alums are the absolute easiest shafts/arrows to tweak and tune because of inserts, adapters and push-in nocks.  woodies are tougher to tweak and more affected by spine issues.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Wiehgt tubes.  Weight up front is ideal, but you will be tuning different arrows if you add 100 grains up front.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
Wiehgt tubes.  Weight up front is ideal, but you will be tuning different arrows if you add 100 grains up front.
maybe, maybe not.  carbons have a very different dynamic spine range than other shaft materials.  there's a reason why carbons are spined in 15# ranges, and for sure the carbon shafting spine charts are just not at all accurate.  add into the equation how you aim and shoot an arrow, and you could easily find that any given carbon can span a large range of foc without the need for tweaking.

as a real world example, i shoot 29.25" beman ics 500's with weight ranges between 455 and 615 grains (the weight differences are all up front via the inserts, adapters and points) and all fly dart-like out to 35 yards from a 55# longbow.  carbons are just different animals than alums and woodies.  took me too long and too much dinero to figure that sucker out.    :rolleyes:    ;)    :cool:

Offline SteveT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
You could take out the inserts get some pink or blue foam insulation , run the shaft through it a time or 2 and keep weighing until desired wt.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I have put 1/4" rope inside the shaft before on my heavier bows.  Works well.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Different strokes I guess, Rob.  I can't get away with a 50 grain change without going to a different shaft or cutting them to bump my knuckle up front.

I have a buddy who can shoot literally any arrow out of his sub-50 pound longbow.  Guy drives me crazy.   ;)
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I`ve used weedeater lines. 4 I think to make it snug. Also the tubing you buy at walmart for fish tanks works but the best thing to do is get about a 225-300 grain broadhead.If its a bit weak you would be surprised at how little it takes to shorten a carbon to stiffen it up.RC

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
That is absolutely correct. You can't take a well tuned arrow, add 100 grains up front, and expect it to still be properly tuned. It's no wonder so many people think they need heavy arrows with EFOC and narrow single bevel heads to shoot through a whitetail.   :saywhat:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©